Replacing the noisy stock DPDT switch on MXR pedals

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by jalexquijano, Apr 14, 2010.

1. jalexquijano

jalexquijano Member

I own 3 MXR pedals: Analog delay, EXH phase 90 and 6 band EQ. Whenever I step on them they produce a harsh noise. I believe its the stock DPDT. Can anyone recommend a noise free DPDT for these pedals and for an EH Cathedral Reverb pedal.

2. Adwex

Adwex New Member

I don't have any suggestions, but I just have to say this.....BOSS pedals have the best switches I've ever experienced. Absolutely silent, electrically, and mechanically. I wish every pedal used that technology.

3. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

Boss pedals use momentary contact style switches , and not a latching type found
    in alot of other brands etc . This why they are so quiet , they have no mechanical guts !
    And yes tough as hell !!!!

4. Xx DBENC xX

Xx DBENC xX New Member

But Boss pedals are not true bypass though..? Right?

5. HOT TUBES 70

correct !!:hmm:

6. 00jett

00jett Member

Personally I like the pedals that use latching switches cause usuall they are easy to rewire or generally they have room to add a switch you can rewire. I put up with the click.

7. HOT TUBES 70

I`m not a huge fan of latching style switches , in alot of cases its even
    easier to replace a Momentary contact style switch being they generally
    only carry 2 wires , plus the thought of carrying our precious audio though
    a mechanical switch thats been cycled thousands of times just scares me.

and with how things are going these days with the quality of parts is another
    issue i have , getting a good latching switch is hard to find at times . the best
    i have found is the Carlings !!

8. 00jett

00jett Member

This is very true.... I had so many latching switches come accross my path that are just junk..

9. jcmjmp

jcmjmp Well-Known Member

Nothing will make a substantial difference. You're hearing a mechanical noise.
    Boss and Ibanez pedals have silent, fet switching, not mechanical switching.

10. jcmjmp

jcmjmp Well-Known Member

They are not... but this whole TRUE BYPASS stuff has gotten out of hand.

A good, transparent solid state buffer is not rocket science. The FET buffering has gotten a bad rap because of pedals like the Dunlop Wah. Most buffered pedals don't "suck tone" like some cork sniffers and purists would like you to believe.

For me, when I engage a pedal, hearing a big click sound through the front of house PA and my guitar amp is not something I would call desirable.

11. HOT TUBES 70

very well put , i'm also not a big bieliver of this whole true by pass notion , if you are running passive pick ups like alot of guys do , running a slew of true by pass pedals will actually suck your tone worse due to capacitance loading from the pedal chain .

If you go to Pete Cornish's web site he 's got a great read on " no true bypass " after reading this it should put to bed alot of myths about this topic .

For those of you who do not know who Pete Cornish is , he has built some of the biggest and best guitar rigs on the planet .:wave:

12. 00jett

00jett Member

+1

I have found a good buffer at the start of the pedal chain, and then one at the end make a very good impact on my tone.

13. Riffraff

Riffraff Well-Known Member

I've got a few Carling 316PP DPDT switches on hand. I bought a few when I replaced the switch in my old Thomas Organ Crybaby. That's one pedal that does bennefit from true bypass. It was a major tone sucker before the upgrade but has an amazing voice. It's true though that people did get carried away with the true bypass craze for a while. I used another to make an A/B box a while ago and have a few spares for future projects. They are good quality switches.

Mouser has some but they are asking a fortune for them. I think I paid about $7 for the ones I bought but I got them from a wholsaler I do a lot of business with: 316-PP Carling Technologies Pushbutton Switches

Small Bear Electronics sell 3PDT versions that will work just as well and cost you less.

Results for Switches, Relays

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010