Replacement front and rear panels for classic Marshalls JMP, JTM, JCM800

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by Matthews Guitars, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Not quite sure where the best place is to put this but this subforum would be one of the right ones, I think.

As some of you may know, I have announced my intention to provide high quality replicas of metal front and rear panels for vintage Marshalls.

I've been working on this project and have made a lot of progress. I will soon be able to open up an order book and start taking orders...AFTER I have examples to show.

I'm starting out with front and rear panels that fit up to the "standard" Marshall chassis of the late 60s and 70s. Models 1959, 1987, 1958, 2203, 2204, 1967, 2245, and others.

These are basically divided into two categories: Four input non-master volume and two input master volume models. These two categories cover the majority of the 60s and 70s models that I want to be able to support.

These are high quality panels that are recreated from original examples with a lot of patience and attention to detail. I've spent many hours finding the right fonts and adjusting sizes and letter spacing (kerning) to get everything as exact as I possibly can. My test prints against photos of originals show that my artwork is basically indistinguishable from the originals, except that the printing may be a bit cleaner as it is digitally printed.

These panels are printed on a slightly thicker than original gauge brushed gold aluminum. This thicker panel would of course be a bit more durable than the originals, but more importantly, this will also identify the panel as a reproduction rather than an original, to an expert.

It is not my intent to make forgeries. These are restoration grade replicas.

I can customize the printing on the panels rather easily, if you have a need for customized legends. You may have an added effects loop. I can add legends for it, where you need them. I just need to know where that would be.

If you need custom metal work, new holes drilled or holes changed, that's quoted individually. Usually that sort of work will be done after the sheet metal shop punches the panels.

For further details, please visit my website.

www.matthewsguitars.com

2. Matthews Guitars

Here's a special note for you out there who build your own amps.

For legal reasons, I probably can't sell a back panel to you that says "Made in England by Jim Marshall Products" unless it's actually going on a real Marshall chassis. But I can sell you that if it IS going on a Marshall chassis as providing restoration parts is legitimate and legal in the US. Provide it's actually going on an original item under restoration.

But changes to any text on the back of the panel, for the benefit of your custom amp, is easy to do and I only charge a very minimal upcharge for doing that.

If you want your amp's big block legend on the rear to say SUPERFLY 100 or SUPER ANGRY MOSQUITO and you want it to say on the bottom line, "Made in Chicago, Illinois by Jacob Blues Ampworks, I can do that for you! It's absolutely no trouble at all. Or create and send me your own artwork and tell me where to put it. It's very easy if you know what you want.

If you are a custom amp builder and want to do Marshall style brushed anodized gold panels on your amps, I can provide panels to you that are designed, printed, and machined to your specifications. But there are charges for artwork, printing, and sheet metal programming, plus minimum order materials cost.

I can even do these panels in finishes other than brushed gold. If you wanted, for example, black brush finished anodized aluminum, or any other custom color, that is definitely doable but the material cost will likely be higher. For me to get any kind of decent materials pricing, I have to order up at least a full 4x10 foot sheet of material which is enough for about 75 panels.

v-verb likes this.
  3. Matthews Guitars

It has occurred to me that I can also arrange to reprint your EXISTING front and rear plates to original specs, if they can be removed from the amp without damaging them. Since they are usually secured with adhesive, some cleanup work will be required but any REASONABLE bends can be worked out and the panel made flat enough for printing again by running it through offset rollers to put a radius on them and then running them again with the rollers set to flatten out the curve.

4. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Looking forwards to placing an order for a couple of fronts.

5. Matthews Guitars

I'm finalizing the first print run today. If my printer is cooperative I'll have printed examples ready to show this week, and they may even get cut and punched out as finished products this week, too.

Please contact me via my website. My email address is listed there. Please use it to get on my contacts list. Tell me what variants you will want.

6. Matthews Guitars

Progress update. The print shop made a big error on one of my first two panels so they're redoing that one, but one panel is good and ready to go to the sheet metal shop to get punched out. The printed panels frankly look fantastic.

But they're very hard to get good photos of due to their somewhat shiny nature. This will have to do for now.

I keep going back and massaging out tiny little details. I find things to correct and make them right. For example,
    the ones shown here need roman numeral style number for the I and II input jack markings, but for the first run,
    that's OK, I'm sure a few people won't mind the variance. And actually the whole panel can be solvent washed and
    reprinted. MEK will strip this ink.

I've printed to transparencies and checked them against original panels. That's how I get the panels to be so close to the
    originals that they'd be hard to distinguish from originals if it weren't for two details, one being that my panels are thicker
    than the originals, and the other is that the grain pattern of the aluminum is a little bit different. And there may be a
    difference in the gold tone as well.

I DSC_6196_sm.jpg

Dogs of Doom likes this.