Replacement foam padding for guitar stands

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Webslinger, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Webslinger

Webslinger Member

Does anyone know where I can get replacement padding for my tubular guitar stand? I have one of those nice older ones thats all chrome plated, rather than spray-painted flat black.
    The orginal padding looked like tan surgical tubing, and is now all dry-rottted and coming off, but the stand itself is fine and better made than today's stands. I dont need the exact tan stuff, I actually prefer the newer black foam. But I cant find anyplace that sells either type.
    BTW-the diameter of the stand tubing is 5/16" so any hose that has an inside diameter of 5/16 should slip right over. (I already tried automobile fuel-line hose, but it looked like crap and I was getting black rubber marks on my guitar)

2. eljeffebrown

eljeffebrown New Member

Banding, Snorkeling, High Speed Line Skipping, Boo
    Any medical supply house should carry the stuff. It's just surgical tubing.

3. Buggs.Crosby

Buggs.Crosby New Member

go to home depot and look for the pipe insulation....it's the same stuff most stands have on it today
    like the proline and warwick

4. MajorNut1967

MajorNut1967 New Member

I'm with Buggs here, pipe insulation.

5. dbf909

dbf909 New Member

+2 on Pipe Insulation at Home Depot or Lowe's. I comes in different diameters and grades of foam. The split type with the peel and stick adhesive is great for stuff like this. I've used it for lots and lots of projects.

6. Webslinger

Webslinger Member

Thanks guys, but I had considered all those ideas....all to no avail.
    The felt padding is not very cusion-ey, and would have to come on a roll that I could wind-around the stand....I've never seen it on a roll.
    Window/door weatherstripping was another idea, but that stuff is too soft, and would peel & tear in short time.
    Places like Home Depot dont sell pipe insulation small enough. The smallest they have is like 3/4", I need 5/16". I havent tried an actual plubming supply house, but I would'nt even know where one is. (north Jersey)
    Same goes for a medical supply place for the surgical tubing, and thats if they'd even sell the public. Surgical tubing is considered "drug paraphenalia", and is also used for slingshots....also illegal in NJ.

There's got to be a way to find out where companies like On-Stage get that black foam tubing? I dont think they manufacture it themselves.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  7. Adwex

Adwex New Member

Be careful, if your guitar has a nitrocellulose finish (Gibsons), some types of rubber will damage it.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
    Rippenflesh and Kid Klash like this.
  8. VHFreak

VHFreak New Member

I completely agree with Adwex. I used to teach lesson in a music store and I can not tell you how many guitars I saw that came in with messed up finishes from those guitar stands with the surgical rubber padding.Eats right through! I even saw a LesPaul come in that was just a mess because the guy was playing an outdoor gig and sprayed bug spray on himself and the overspray ate the finish. Nasty!!!

9. MM54

MM54 New Member

Yeah, watch that. I'm pretty sure that my fingerprints damaged the finish on my guitar :p

10. Adwex

Adwex New Member

Yup, bug spray will eat nitro too. I heard/read a similar story on another forum.

11. Adwex

Adwex New Member

Vinyl too.
    I read a story of a guy who had a vinyl strap. He put the guitar in the case with the strap still on. Destroyed the finish.

12. Adwex

Adwex New Member

I'm with Buggs also on this. I believe that pipe insulation is made of urethane foam, if so, it is quite inert, so it won't react with anything.

13. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

That pipe insulation is usually around copper all the time. Copper is very reactive and will change color, etc. if something is messing it up.....that foam never does. I think you're safe there.

The only other thing I'd do is go with some sort of padded velvet-like material, like if I wanted to display my guitars on the wall etc., but not necessary for a stand.

14. ColoradoRobert

ColoradoRobert New Member

I use very cheap Fret Rest or Pro-line stands and am surprised that Pro-line even says, "use tubing from Home Depot, etc. to replace the foam." WHY? Answer: Probably because they are manufactured in China and they use small wall insulation over there I guess (6.35 mm or 1/4"). * I went to a HVAC parts place, but all they have is thicker wall. Even the 3/8 wall doesn't look right. It should not be this difficult, to find a 6 foot length of 3/8 I.D. foam pipe insulation with 1/4 inch wall... but it definitely is.