Recommend a noise gate?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by SkyMonkey, Dec 7, 2019.

1. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I just bought and tried out a BOSS NS-2 noise suppressor and it was a fail for the rig I am trying to set up.
    When engaged, the signal dropped markedly.
    When used with a BOSS MT-2, in the NS-2 internal loop, directly into the FX return, the signal dropped further and then rose as a chord was sustained.
    The gate was slow to close.

I am going to trade it in against a different noise gate.
    I am leaning towards a TC Electronic Sentry.
    Any experience of the Sentry, or other recommendations for a UK resident?

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Active Member

Hi there. Most noise gate pedals are just crap crude limiters that chop your dynamic range abruptly. You could try a rack compressor/expander in you setup. That will give you a lot more flexibility in different live setups. Doesn't need to be expensive, I use a Behringer MDX that I got new for 100 quid and it is great. Alternatively you could source a pedal electronics guru to give your outboard a proper MOT, ie power supply current and voltages, input and output bias on each box, best patch leads etc. All the little out of sync differences get multiplied and can add up to a lot of unwanted noise. Hope you get it sorted Sky :)

SkyMonkey likes this.
  3. SkyMonkey

Sorry, I should have clarified that this setup is for home use only, or throw in a bag and go. Rack mounted equipment is too expensive and would be wasted on my lowly talents!
    This is a small setup of OD (BD-2), Distortion (MT-2), line selector (LS-2) and (when I can afford it) a reverb (RV-6).
    I have always used BOSS multi effects in the past and am building this pedal board to satisfy a curiosity about pedal setups.
    As stated above, the BOSS NS-2 didn't work for me.
    The TC Electronic Sentry is a similar price to the NS-2 and seems far more advanced.

Steve Smith likes this.
  4. Steve Smith

Don't be so modest Sky, it is a refreshing attitude though. I have this Boss I bought in 1992 and it is brill. See if you can get one on E-bay, should be peanuts.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  5. SkyMonkey

Errr. I did state in the OP that I already have the BOSS NS-2 and it is not working out for me.
    I got it off Gumtree for £30, so no great loss to trade in.

6. Steve Smith

7. Steve Smith

Its an ME6, old tech now but brill sounds, gigged it for over 15 years and still works like new. Compressor, OD/Distortion, 4 band EQ with Parametric Mid, Noise Suppressor, Delay, Chorus, Flange, Reverbs and Master Level. Can be used as stand alone FX pedals or 25 programmes. Only lacks Phaser

8. SkyMonkey

Hi @Steve Smith. Thanks for the input, but it seems you haven't been reading my posts in this thread so far!
    My signature (below all my posts) also states some of the key equipment that I own, including a BOSS GT-100.
    The noise gates in the GT-100 are the Gold Standard for me so far, as I have limited experience with anything other than the NS-2 that I now own (but not for long).

9. harleytech

harleytech Well-Known Member

I use a TC Sentry... No problems with it, does what it's supposed to do...

Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.
  10. Marshall4Metal

Marshall4Metal Well-Known Member

ISP decimate/decimator if you can't get a Rocktron Silencer. Or you could try the TC Electronic Sentry. That's really your only choices other than getting a Rocktron rack unit. It's unfortunate you can't get the Silencer it really is the pedal form of there rack unit and it's the best non rack gate you can buy currently.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  11. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

I have the unit whose name starts with the capital letter B. :facepalm:

I don't gig, write songs or jam with anyone (I suck) so I really don't have any need for pedals. They are buried in the closet at this moment. I simply let the guitar and amp do what it's designed to do. Bring the noise!
    :jam:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.
  12. LCW

LCW Well-Known Member

Noise gate... Fortin ZUUL. Done.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  13. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I think that if you're going to run the same (or very similar) routing scheme as in the diagram you uploaded in another thread, then you're gonna have problems (maybe even the same problems) with whatever brand noise gate (ng for short)/noise suppressor (ns for short) you get. Let's take a look at the elements that will affect how effectively a ng/ns will work.

1) your amp DSL40CR. The DSL40CR has several controls that will affect a noise gate: gain control and volume control of the CLASSIC GAIN channel, gain control and volume control of the ULTRA GAIN channel, MASTER volume #1, MASTER volume #2. All these controls will need to be adjusted relative to the ng/ns controls (most ng/ns controls at the very least have a threshold control that is usually adjustable by the player, but some ng/ns controls also various other controls like decay, damp, speed/release, etc. Your DSL40CR must be setup in relation to the controls of whatever ng/ns you plan to use; this takes times as you need to setup the DSL40CR controls discussed above for whatever playing situation (e.g. rehearsal, recording, gig, practice) and then adjust the ng/ns controls. I don't know what channels/modes or settings you are using, so you need to take the time and figure that stuff out yourself (hint: we can't do it for you).

2) BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone. MT-2 Metal Zone is an incredible powerful pedal with various adjustable controls for the user/player. Two of the most powerful controls are "level" and "dist." Both "level" and "dist" need to be adjusted relative to the ng/ns and the amp. Why? The MT2 might produce a more powerful signal than what the DSL40CR relevant controls are set (I discussed those relevant controls in #1 above). Therefore, you might need to go back and adjust the ng/ns threshold and other ng/ns relevant controls so that the ng/s is gating both the amp and MT2.

3) BluesDriver BD2. The BD2 also is a powerful pedal with two very powerful controls: "level" and "gain". "Level" and "gain" will have an affect on noise relative to where you set them. Therefore, you need to go back to the ng/ns and adjust the threshold (and any other relevent ng/ns controls) so that the ng/ns is gating the BD2 when turned on (just as in the case of the MT2).

Compound the situation with the particular routing scheme you are running with the LS2 and the challenge of controlling noise with just one noise gate/noise suppressor becomes extremely difficult since you are using different "levels" and "dist"/"gain" for each pedal as well as different settings for the amp's channel volume+gain control+master volume controls.

You could keep the cable routing you currently use, but perhaps the best results might be using a ng/ns pedal for each distortion/dirt/overdrive/ pedal you're running rather than trying to gate everything with one ng/ns device; this can be expensive and a pain in the ass, but it's probably get you a a real quiet rig in the end.

A better solution would be to rethink your cable routing for a more effective control of noise. You could gate the MT2 and BD2 with a single ng/ns if the ng/ns has a built-in loop (like NS2 has). You'd still need to do some adjustments, but it's a little easier since both are in line. But if you are using some very extreme settings for MT2 and BD2, then you might have to either rethink your pedal settings or get another ng/ns to handle the differences in settings of each pedal.

It's hard to say what's the right answer for your situation partly because I have no idea what you're trying to do (I say this because I look at your cable routing and read your words). I've used ng/ns in many different amps (usually high gain amps) as well as different ng/ns (in pedals, multi-effects, rack systems). There will always be some adjustment at various points in the signal chain when using a ng/ns in order to get the best results. I've gotten great results from many different brands, models, and designs, but in the end it's the setup and adjustment that usually makes the difference based on what you're tying to do.

I don't know if any of this makes sense. Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

ricksdisconnected and SkyMonkey like this.
  14. SkyMonkey

Hi @MonstersOfTheMidway.
    The idea for this setup comes from Roland Corp. (i.e. BOSS) and plenty of YT vids.
    Look at the last setup suggestion on the webpage.
    https://rolandcorp.com.au/blog/how-to-use-boss-ns-2-noise-suppressor-in-your-rig

The thing I was trying to do is place all the gain stages (pedals and preamps) in the LS-2 loops A & B. Then place all the LS-2 loops in the NS-2 loop. Then any time based effects are going to be placed between the NS-2 output and the amp FX return.
    In theory this should work. But for some reason the MT-2 does not play well with the NS-2 loop.
    And yes there is a massive gain mismatch between the MT-2 (gain pretty much full) and BD-2 (gain at 10 O'clock).
    With my VS65R my hope was to have the options of amp clean, BD-2, amp OD (low-ish AC/DC levels), and MT-2 full gain.

I think I will press on with this setup but use different NS/NG pedals in each loop.
    The NS-2 seems to work a whole lot better with the BD-2, so it can basically go inline with the BD-2 in loop A (blue).
    The MT-2 will go without NS in loop B (red) for a bit until I decide what to get.
    I still think that the TC Electronic Sentry is the one to try with an MT-2. Most of the other suggestions posted are either 4 times the cost of the Sentry (i.e. Fortin ZUUL) or simply not available in the UK (i.e. all the others).

BTW I have still only tried this setup with a VS65R. Will get more time to play around during the week.

Thanks again everyone.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  15. LCW

LCW Well-Known Member

16. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

You can drive yourself crazy trying out all those examples on that Roland site. I spent quite a bit of time and along the way I found a configuration that I could be happy with. I had to find a spot the Boss RC-3 worked best and go from there.

SkyMonkey likes this.