Rebuilding a cab

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Dalton, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Dalton

Dalton Member

So I was given a Marshall AVT412B cab by brother that was flooded in Hurricane Harvey. It still works kinda, but sounds like shiz. It has the G12-412AVT speakers. It's also missing the back panel.

As a project to use maybe as a full stack (with a 1960A cab/G75 speakers), do yall think it would maybe be worth reloading with V30s speakers? The cab itself is still in pretty good condition

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Post some photos

3. Dalton

Dalton Member

If i could I would.. I try to upload a pic from my phone and it says image is too large.. I try photobucket, this link doesnt work.

4. Dalton

Dalton Member

Oops. It worked this time!

Attached Files:

5. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

If my experience with a once-partly-flooded 1960B is any indicator, there's a really good chance that the glue has given up. The cabinet won't be solid feeling and if you take the baffle out you'll be able to rock it and get lots of joint movement. If that's the situation then your only reasonable repair operation is to peel the tolex off, disassemble the already failed joints, clean the old glue out, reglue the cabinet, and recover it.

If it's made of birch plywood it'll be worth doing. If it's particle board or MDF, salvage the speakers and throw out the cabinet. Life is too short to mess with MDF and particle board speaker cabinets.

6. Matthews Guitars

Now I can see the photos. That hasn't been a LITTLE wet, it's been submerged all the way and it's made of particle board. Corrosion on all speakers all the way up. I'd push it to the street for trash collection and waste no more time on it.

The cabinet is toast. The speakers are probably toast. Salvage the handleds and plastic parts. And the casters if they still run OK. Those may be the most valuable parts on the whole thing.

7. Dalton

Dalton Member

That's all I needed to know. I originally thought it was a 1960B cab but when I found out it wasnt i figured it probably wouldn't be worth messing with

Yes, it was very much submerged. As in probably 4-5ft underwater for days. To put into perspective, the house is 3 stories and it was in the garage.... water got up above the 2nd story

Just for my own knowledge, I just got a used 1960A Lead cab a few days ago. Those are made out of plywood correct?

8. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

15817018667141841271770931563942.jpg Agree, keep the parts, logo, handle, corners..ect.. I'd even keep the grill cloth. The front logo/grill panels on the avt cabs are velcroed on easy to pull off. I'd even see if the tolex is salvageable..my avt cabs are covered in actual elephant like the the 1960s, ,the grill is the same material as the 1960s as well, not the nylon shit...and I agree, The rest is toast.

The1960 cabs are ply, and are wider than the AVT cabs/ heads, so they will not stack correctly. I have the A and B AVT cabs loaded with a v30/ G12T75 combination and they sound exceptional..I'm not a ply only snob..they weigh almost as much as my 1960 cabs with the replacement speakers.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  9. Matthews Guitars

FYI, Hartke GH412A and B cabinets are also ply and very similar in construction to Marshall 1960 cabinets, and dimensionally they're identical.

If you need a 1960 and can't find a cheap enough one, I've picked up two of the Hartke cabinets for a hundred bucks each. They'll certainly do in a pinch,
    and they're cheap enough.

Some day I'm going to get around to rebuilding those Hartke cabinets of mine to be as identical to 1960s as is possible. Check the corner radiuses, recut if needed. (They may be a little bit sharper in the radiuses.) Recut the side handle holes for Marshall spec cup handles. Recover, regrill. Done.

10. Matthews Guitars

Now, if there was a Marshall tube amp that got submerged like that cabinet, I'd say that it can be salvaged no matter what. At least for a maniac like me who does total restorations.

11. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

12. Dalton

Dalton Member

Nah I don't NEED another cab, I just figured it'd be something to do. My halfstack suits me perfectly

I also got a Marshall Superlead ii head in the flood. It's at a friends house right now that knows how to work on that stuff.

13. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Sweet..any pics of the amp?

14. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

sadly materials like mdf and particle board when they get wet, do not become toast. they become breakfast cerial!

Dogs of Doom likes this.