Re stringing issue

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by KISS NATION, Nov 28, 2019.

1. KISS NATION

KISS NATION Well-Known Member

Thanks, I will give that a try.
    If that does fix the issue, why wasn't there an issue with the old strings? The guy I bought the guitar from had only played it once or twice since he bought it new in March, at which point it had only been in his local guitar shop for less than 24 hours before he bought it. I am no expert clearly, but how can one set of strings be fine and another have such issues?

2. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

If the guitar had only been played a few times IDK but strings that have been on there and played for a while will start to wear in the area they make contact with the fret inadvertently giving more room between the string and the fret which can alleviate some symptoms of buzz temporarily.

Mitchell Pearrow and stringtree like this.
  3. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

because when a guitar is setup at the factory, or store, it's based on the gauge/tension of the strings. This will have effects on everything to do w/ the setup.

If the nut is cut for larger gauge strings, lighter gauge might sit lower in the nut slot. Tuning lighter gauge strings to the same pitch, will not have as much tension on the neck. The truss rod is designed to put opposing tension on the neck. If that tension is set for the higher tension strings, then the neck will be back curved, causing buzz.

The other thing, is that w/ Gibson style tune-o-matic bridges, it's easy to knock the bridge out of whack if not careful.

The thing is, the 1 string might have been right on the verge of being out of tolerance as-is from the factory, but, now, changing the tension (by changing strings), put it over the top...

4. anitoli

And remember just because you have the same gauge strings that doesn't mean they will have the same tension, it varies due to the manufacturer and type of wire used.

5. tone seaker

tone seaker Well-Known Member

Where the Rock Rolls Hard and the Blues Rains Down
    Change the A string i have had strings rattle and changing them fixed it :)

6. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

Thanks.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  7. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your new axe
    I would do the truss rod adjustment first.
    If that doesn’t take care of it I would then take it to the guy, not named the butcher, lol.
    Cheers

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    KISS NATION and stringtree like this.
  8. KISS NATION

I am at my wits end with this guitar. Never have I had a Les Paul cause me so many problems and I hope I never do again.
    The bridge height has been up and down like you wouldn't believe, the truss rod has been adjusted from just under, perfect and just over factory specs which made a very slight difference. After doing all that certain strings still rattled from the 5th fret down to the bridge, another change and then everything from the 7th fret to the bridge was rattling. I set it back how it was and the rattle went all the way from the first fret to the bridge. While re tuning the guitar after adjusting everything, I have heard that horrible ping coming from the bridge and the nut, which is strange considering the nut has been cut for 10s and it was strung with 10s from the factory. Although I still can't be clear on the exact make model and material of strings, If the new strings differ even slightly from the original strings then everything would change. I don't know how there can be so many issues with an eight month old guitar that has been in a case the whole time. Can anyone offer any salvation?

9. anitoli

Have you looked to see if there is a lifted fret?

10. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Well-Known Member VIP Member

At this point I would suggest take it to someone and have them fix it, or at least tell you what's wrong.

11. KISS NATION

That was the first thing I checked. If there was a high fret, the issues I am currently experiencing would have been apparent before I changed the strings. Surely this isn't a problem caused by the fact that I have changed possibly pure nickel strings for nickel coated carbon steel strings.

stringtree likes this.
  12. paul hancher

paul hancher Well-Known Member

man there is nothing worse than issues with a new guitar!

can you clarify what you mean by “string rattle”? is this an issue from a fret, which would be more commonly “fret buzz” vs. a rattle which i would define as a noise extraneous of the string and emitted from another object such as a loose tuner or bridge saddle. from your descriptions and the fact that you are having issues with individual strings i would lean towards rattle as opposed to buzz.

there have been some great suggestions in the thread so far on neck relief, nut slots and bridge height which can be extremely helpful in getting this problem sorted out. however i think you might be dealing with rattle which would be other objects on the guitar. loose tuners are usually the number one culprit but it can be any piece of hardware on the guitar that could be causing the rattle. i had a les paul that had a loose output jack which caused rattle. on modern les paul tuners check both the screws on the rear of the tuner as well as the screw which surrounds the string post. they all need to be tight. also the volume and tone pots can be loose and cause buzzes and/or rattles. also check pickup surround rings.

once i had a les paul that would rattle on one string but only at one fret position. it was very frustrating to find the culprit which turned out to the string saddle in the bridge. even though the saddle was secure it still caused the rattle. i removed the string from the saddle and tried to rotate the intonation screw but it was stuck and would not rotate. after applying slightly harder pressure on the screw i heard a small pop and the screw came loose and would rotate. this also cured the rattle for that string.

hopefully this will help you with the problem.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  13. KISS NATION

I think fret buzz is a more likely term for the problem I am experiencing. Only on the A string and very occasionally on the D string. I have experienced fret buzz before but it has never really been so specific. After restringing and before adjusting, the A string rattled from the 5th fret down to the bridge. The rattle got better or worse with truss rod and string height adjustment but only became acceptable instead of going away completely. I have used countless brands gauges and materials of strings on all my strats and Les Pauls and have never encountered such issues.

14. paul hancher

paul hancher Well-Known Member

sounds like afret issue then. probably best to have a pro look at it. good luck!

15. KISS NATION

It's a shame I bought it second hand instead of new from a shop. It would have gone straight back the first sign of any issues.

stringtree and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I am sure it can all be worked out, just be patient, and don’t over do any adjustments !!

stringtree and DirtySteve like this.
  17. KISS NATION

For some reason a set of britewire 10s have solved the problem. Neck relief is at a minimum and the action is nice and low with no rattle. I do know the string tension will be different between different brands, which will effect neck relief and string height for those thinking I am a total idiot. The only thing I can think of is that I was measuring something wrong.
    Thanks to all for your input :)

18. bad565ss

bad565ss Well-Known Member

Glad you got this worked out. Some Les Pauls require tough love to get sorted out.
    So how is the guitar overall now?

19. KISS NATION

Like a dream :)