Re: Need help with 4x12 wiring

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by GUiTAR84, Dec 12, 2010.

1. GUiTAR84

GUiTAR84 New Member

Hi all. I need your help wiring this 4x12 cab. I bought an empty Peavey XXX cab and I want to load 4 ( 8 ohm- vintage 30's) inside it. The input jack in the back is confusing me. There are no labels on it, 2 input jacks (or 1 in 1 out im guessing) and a center switch (speaker damping?). 4 wires coming off the back of the jack, 2 on each side. Here is a diagram I drew, need someone to help connect the dots. I've spent the past 2 hours searching the net and cannot find a wiring diagram for the XXX 412 cab. This will be going into a JSX that has 16/8/4 ohm cab selector. Please help.

[​IMG]

2. Adwex

Adwex New Member

You need to determine what the switch does. If it's like a Marshall 1960 cab, it switches from mono to stereo (stereo separates the two sides, mono connects them together).

3. cagamp1

cagamp1 New Member

Try the link:
    Start PDF Download ...
    use the "Looking for a manual" button if it doen't show up.

That's a mono/stereo jack plate (if it is original). The original speakers were four 16-ohms. The cab was 16-ohm mono (one jack for mono operation) & 8-ohm stereo (each jack).

Since the writing on the jack plate is gone and your hooking up four 8-ohms, I'd suggest series-parallel with the mono/stereo jack plate. That would give you 16-ohms for each stereo side and 8-ohms for the mono operation. Check your totals with a ohm meter to make sure that jack plate and your speakers are connected properly to match you amps output impedance.

4. happychappy

happychappy New Member

Good set up!! ive just loaded my second cab with 4 vintage 30's. I now blast 2 4x12 cabs all loaded with v 30's. Killer sound!!
    I stripped all the tat out of the cab and just re wired it straight to a new jack. It was a crate cab with some little circuit board and switch combo in it. sod all that guff!!

This will help.
    Shavano Music Online - Speaker Wiring Results; Impedance Calculator

5. GUiTAR84

GUiTAR84 New Member

Thank you all for the input! My research led me to a series/parallel setup for a total of 8 ohms in mono and 16 for stereo, just like you mentioned. All the wiring diagram's online show how to wire series/parallel in mono.. not sure where to put the other 2 wires for stereo...

6. cagamp1

cagamp1 New Member

What online diagram are you using?
    The switch should either disconnect (for stereo inputs) or parallel (for mono input) the two sides.

7. ckr1231

ckr1231 Active Member

Check what your amp output is.

8. GUiTAR84

GUiTAR84 New Member

So I take it, since my speakers are 8 ohms, and im trying to do a parallel/series for total of 8ohms, I cannot with that stereo input jack?

Where can I purchase a simple 1/mono input that would screw onto the back of my cab with no issues?

[​IMG]

9. American Viking

American Viking Well-Known Member

If you are installing 8 ohm speakers in a cabinet I would not use a PCB switchable jack plate. I would just install a single dedicated 8 ohm jack. I would even do the same if using 16 ohm speakers but for a MONO/STEREO switchable cabinet the math won't work right when using 8 ohm speakers.

Wiring a 4 X 12 Speaker cabinet

Jumbo Sunshade - Speaker Wiring Diagrams

10. GUiTAR84

GUiTAR84 New Member

K cool, helps me out a lot what you just said. Where can I purchase said 8-ohm jack? Anyone recommend a good retailer?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  11. GUiTAR84

GUiTAR84 New Member

:)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010