Randy Rhoads

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by justinrhoads80, Feb 10, 2018.

1. gearninja

gearninja Active Member

Back on topic, the song that did it for me was "DEE" - I practiced that night and day, pulled it off quite nicely but haven't played it in years. Blizzard I rocked on my walkman for months when it first came out... lol. That whole album is great, it wasn't until Tribute that I really knew who Randy was and then I was hooked. He was such a crazy good player I could never do the runs or solos like he did, I wish.

I'd have fun trying to learn something again but it will take time as I don't play much right now with my recovery. My hands are still very sore and I don't even have a callus haha! I'll try though :spock:

flyinguitars likes this.
  2. flyinguitars

flyinguitars Well-Known Member

Cool...take your time and have some fun.

gearninja likes this.
  3. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

No. My point was my effort for recording using a phone means you get what you get.

Much better sounding clips done than mine.

Talking about Randy is still current.

4. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

Glad you made it through all that. My sis did too. Breast and thyroid cancer.

No thread is worth getting a serious bend over.

5. Holme

Holme Well-Known Member VIP Member

When I was a kid & first heard the solo at the end of Suicide Solution on the Tribute album I couldn't believe what I was hearing - have been a massive Randy Rhoads fan ever since!

:thumbs:

justinrhoads80 likes this.
  6. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Killer chops with some horrible ass tone. (except that solo in Over the Mountain)
    I saw him in LA when I was about 15 and again the Sunday before I graduated from high school in Chicago ,1981
    Ive had two white Les Paul Customs, because of Campbell
    But RR gets props for wavin that flag either way. He had it when I saw him
    Thx for spellin his name right

7. justinrhoads80

justinrhoads80 Active Member

Please explain specificly how his tone sucked? I found his tone to be very unique to him instead of being the standard sound for hard rock. His sound was unique on Blizzard and it only improved on the Madman album.

His tone has a bit of snarl to it and bite. His lead tones were very nice and it could be replicated by combining a Delay and Reverb Pedal. I have something similar like that going on and it sounds nice!

You say his tone is shit, but compared to what?

8. el_bastardo

el_bastardo Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan but I think his live tone was good, and his recorded tone was ass. His live tone was like an amp about to melt down into a puddle of goo. That's good. It's raw, nasty, aggressive, great for live energy. But on recordings it was just harsh and stupid.

9. justinrhoads80

What causes something like that though? Is it too much mids? I do agree that his rhythm tones at times were harsh and like chalk screeching on a chalkboard depending on the song.

10. el_bastardo

It could have been anything. His sound might have been good in the room, but once it gets to tape, through mics, mic placement, preamps, and mixing, it can get mangled. That was also a time when super high gain aggressive tone like that wasn't all that common on recordings. Maybe engineers hadn't really figured it out yet at that point.

11. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member

Blizzard and Diary...I think his tone was overly bright..almost harsh. I bought Blizzard when it came out and my initial thought was man, that dude can play..but the tone is Peavey"Banditish". Go ahead ...jump all over me.

I love Randys work and I have from the beginning but I would like to think his tone would have evolved into something better, and he would agree with our "The tone could be better" assesment..Critiquing his tone isn't critiquing his skill or impact...it was bright and harsh on the albums..no denying that.

Over the Mountain is My favorite Lead as well..fucking awesome..

12. justinrhoads80

I agree with that, but I think his live tone was a LOT better than what we had heard on the BOA & DOAMM

13. el_bastardo

I would think that, like most really good guitar players, he wouldn't fret (pun intended) over trivial tone minutia like us nobodies do. Look at how many bands use rented backlines. They don't care. Close enough is good enough and they make it work. I think Randy Rhoads would be the type that is focused on his playing and trying to be creative instead of worrying about shit like tube rolling and bright caps.

justinrhoads80 likes this.
  14. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

I wonder how many sound checks were done by Randy's tech? The last few concerts I set up for, the tech did 99% of the sound check of the guitar signal. Even Slayer, both Kerry King and Jeff (RIP) didn't even make it on stage until the last few minutes during sound check. It was done by their techs.

el_bastardo likes this.
  15. el_bastardo

The only big name guy I've ever seen literally do his own complete sound check is J Mascis.

16. Ghostman

that's a pretty small name really. Seriously, there's only seven letters, a space, and one is used twice. :shrug:

el_bastardo likes this.
  17. el_bastardo

Okay, The only big name guy I've ever seen literally do his own complete sound check is Joseph Donald Mascis Jr

18. Ghostman

That's a much bigger name. Google says "Dinosaur Jr. frontman." One band I just couldn't get into.

19. el_bastardo

I'm a casual fan but they are great live. I was at a huge festival last time I saw them and I could actually hear his stage rig over the PA. Three fucking full stacks of dual Marshalls and a Hiwatt with a Twin Reverb thrown in for good measure. All on. All cranked.

gearninja likes this.
  20. Ghostman

That's what I've heard of their stuff. Great show live.