Randy Rhoads gear

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by jrluke, Jan 28, 2011.

1. jrluke

jrluke New Member

Does anybody know what pedal Randy used for his solo's? On the live tribute album, there a point when you hear a little gap between the time he hits the pedal and starting his solo and you hear a massive break up. Obviously not a bad thing once he lays into it. Just curious. If I had to guess, in that era maybe a DS-1. They seem to have been a popular choice in from of those good old Marshalls.

2. brandoz28

brandoz28 New Member

used an MXR Distortion +, had an MXR 6 band Eq as well. not sure what else he has in there.

a lot of his live tone is the guitar/amp just on the verge of completely out of control. i love it

3. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

mxr dist+ ,volume pedal, & mxr 10band eq. (the 6 band eq was on his zeus practice/warm up board). the dist+ pretty much stayed on all the time-except for clean parts. the eq didn't have the on/off button on it so it was always on. also, later in the tour the soundman was adding effects @ the board so that may be the cause for the breakup.

4. gjohnson

gjohnson Well-Known Member

Being my fave guitarist I know his chain, Guitar>Wah>MXR dist+>MXR 10BAND eq>MXR Flanger>MXR Stereo chorus split to 2 full stacks w/each side having a delay.Yamaha anolog and a Roland Tape echo.He also used a volume pedal on his board for the cleaner stuff.At that time 1982,he was way ahead of most . He was prob one of the first to run Stereo live.I saw him on the Diary Tour and his sound was MASSIVE! Below is the custom board he used.

Attached Files:

5. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member

You were indeed very lucky to have seen him perform man.. I would have loved to but I spent most of my time then floating around the North Atlantic on a US Navy combatant ship! Randy was one of my favorites as well...