Problems With Modded Laney Aor Pro Tube 50. Series Ii

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Tezio, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Tezio

Tezio New Member

Hi I have bought this amp for cheap price, I was searching for an 80's hard 'n' heavy sound like George Lynch of Dokken, Paul Gilbert in Racer X, Warren De Martini of Ratt or Skid Row's guitars, and I have found this first '90 Laney AOR PT50 II modded with AFD#34 #36 #39 Caswell.
    I know that these was Slash mod's and this it's mean a basically harsh and metallic sound with great mid-high range tones, and I know that put these on Marshall 800 or wtf he use and put on Laney AOR it's not the same, I know that the mods coulds be wrong but I also know the tech and I trust him.
    I have a Japan Jackson Dinky DK2M with Seymour Duncan JB TB4 at bridge and Seymoud Duncan Jazz SH2N ,Floyd Rose Licensed JT580
    I don't have any cabinet but now i play with a Laney IRT212 Ironheart 2x12 cabinet (G12M-70)

there's the problem, with all of these three mods the sound is too much harsh and metalic for solos and this tone don't let me play in the best way as I will, 'cause these harsh and sharpness tones dirt the notes when I play fast scales on the fretboard and I don't have much sustain for tapping and sweep picking, only with #39, that has more gain than the other two, I can have a better sound but it's not enough, in order to have a clearly sound.
    I know that artits that I've mentioned, didn't have a clearly sound and I love it but I just need a compromise.
    What do you advice to me? An overdrive for solos, equalizer, compressor? which cones cabinet?...let me know. Thanks!

there's an example of sound that i search
    Street Lethal by Racer X

2. V-Type

V-Type Active Member

I had the AOR as well as a Laney GH50L.
    The Aor is a rough edged tone kinda like a Rat in front of a Plexi sound imo.
    The GH 50 was smoother with more useable gain like a Tube Screamer in front of an 800.
    Knowing what mods have been done too youre amp Id try a few user swaps first.
    Try different preamps tubes. Some times a lower gain or better quality tube in a certain stage will elevate clarity.
    Remember too try every EQ parameter as some amps have sweet spots in quite uncommon settings.
    Lastly are youre speakers broken in and are you judging youre tone from directly in front of the amp or from the recommended 10-20 feet in front of.

3. S9X

S9X Active Member

Get rid of that slash crap and bring it back to stock if possible. It should do the trick.
    GH50L is even better for Racer X stuff. Very similiar to LJ Marshall Mods.

4. GuitarMutant

GuitarMutant Well-Known Member

The AORs are kinda known for that. The pre-AORs (6-knob, non-AOR ProTube) are the ones Ratt used. I have a friend with one in a band called Faith Or Fear, and his tone is still great to this day. I tried to find a Laney head after hearing his tones in the 90s. Tried an AOR. Very harsh comparatively.

5. Tezio

Tezio New Member

Thanks for all the answers, for now I want try to resolve my problems on preamp section, with some pedals and eq... and for cones of a new cabinet what would you advise me?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  6. FRED

FRED Member

As a former AOR user, I can tell you that the speaker choice will be a "make or break" decision. My AOR 50 was very harsh with most Celestions. I ended up with a mix of greenbacks and EVM12L's.
    I plugged straight in - with no extra preamp. FX in the loop. Good luck.

7. FRED

FRED Member

As I recall (this was many years ago) I always used the pull-boost on the lows & highs but never on the mids.