Preamp Tubes? - Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How?

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by joshuaaewallen, Jan 29, 2009.

1. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

Would I hear a difference rolling a 12AT7 RFT from an old GE 12AT7 in the phase inverter of my Deluxe Reverb?

Also,

Any of you guys have experience with these fetron TR1009's?

http://el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=12710.0

2. RiverRatt

RiverRatt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Not very likely on the AT7.

Those solid-state tube replacements pop up from time to time and they all just fade away without making much of a splash. There's just no logic in buying a device to turn your $2K Marshall head into a $200 solid-state amp. Jfets don't sound like tubes in circuits that were designed around them. I don't see how dropping one in a tube circuit along with a huge dropping resistor could be nearly as good as the worst 12AX7 made.

3. RickyLee

If you run in to any listings on them fetrons, let me know as I would like to pick up a few more if they are cheap enough.

4. RiverRatt

Really? Well, fact is always better than opinion. What's your take on them?

5. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

JFET devices simulating vacuum tube triodes they were.

Most go solid state then will you?

6. iron broadsword

iron broadsword Well-Known Member

What do you guys make of the JAN CWL 12ax7?

It's got a short grey plate and a square getter. I've got 3 of them and I've been using 2 in my class 5.. but I have the amp home this week so I'm probably gonna roll a few tubes just to see if my ears still like them as much as I think they do.

7. mickeydg5

Joint Army Navy
    CWL is manufacturer code for Westinghouse.

I would think those to be nice tubes. Roll them all the same. The only real good tube is one that performs as well as sounds good.

8. iron broadsword

Yeah, I am new to the nos thing so I keep calling them jan's.. but it does have an enormous westinghouse label on it as well of course. I tried to stay away from nos because I had enough stuff to chase with my money, but I picked a lot up on the cheap and now it's hard to look at cp the same. :lol:

9. RiverRatt

My god, I struck gold today. I got a grab bag of tubes from Goodwill and check it out. Nine 12AX7's, including two Full Music high-end Chinese tubes, a pair of Amperex I61's, and a few GE and Tung-Sols. There were seven 6BQ5's, including a pair of Sylvanias and an Amperex, a GE, and the rest were 6P14P's. Four 6L6G's, two metal can 6L6's, an RCA black plate 6L6GC, a Genalex KT88, a pair of Tung-Sol 6550's, a couple of 5V4G rectifiers, and a load of 12AU7's and ECL82's. This is the best score I've had in years.

[​IMG]

GIBSON67 likes this.
  10. mickeydg5

Nice haul. :yesway:

11. mtm105

mtm105 Well-Known Member

***************** GREATEST NECRO THREAD EVER!!!!*******************************

I have Blackheart Little Giant and Killer Ant. I've tried replacing "inferior" Chinese 12ZX7 with quality JJs.

I prefer the Chinese tubes. Little Giant comes with JJs. I found a Chinese tube I installed and prefer it.

Are JJs susceptible to criticism?? It says its for Blues & Jazz. I'm more into a higher gain sound.

12. iron broadsword

JJ's are a little darker than others but are high gain. IMHO you get way more out of changing speaker cabs first though, so if you are trying to get a modern high gain tone out of a speaker/cab that sucks at it.. then there's your real problem.

In my jcm900, mesa DR, and class5's preamp tube swapping is worthwhile but only after getting the right speaker for the job.

13. RickyLee

Dude, I am sorry about missing your post. Hopefully you see this sometime soon.

I was messing with an amp circuit that I was trying to get close to the Mesa MKI. That early Mesa used those fetrons with a few component changes. So basically, just wanted to hear the difference.

But I do have one fetron stashed away. It came in one of my old Mitchell amps. I know that the amp lost quite a bit of gain when I swapped a 12AX7 in its place.

14. RiverRatt

No problem man, I saw mention of a fetron somewhere recently and remembered your post.

I'm playing around with octal pentode preamp tubes and gain. I've done some experimenting with 6SJ7's in a clone of the Stromberg-Carlson AU-29 PA amp that RiffRaff is making sound so good, but that thick, creamy overdrive is elusive.

I'm wanting to get a 20 watt SE output transformer and build a simple Princeton 5C1 style amp with a 6550 or KT88, and using it as a pedal platform. I built one with a metal can 6L6 for the guitarist in my son-in-law's band and he loves it. He has a nice Boss multi-effects unit and mic's the amp. He's even used it at a couple of gigs - he says he likes it better than his Peavey Classic 50.

I recorded a clip of him trying out the AU-29 clone with my Ralston tele build. It's clean tone is really close to the 5C1.

RickyLee likes this.
  15. RickyLee

Dam that River that sounds sweet. You need to build me one of those as well LOL.

16. joshuaaewallen

joshuaaewallen Active Member

Anyone in the market for some preamp tubes? Check it out:

Preamp Tubes New, Used, AND Vintage

Have a look, lemme know if you want one, several, or all, or just have a question, shoot me a message or gimme a call. Thanks ya'll, and Rock On.

17. Anthony King

Anthony King Active Member

What you could do is get a power soak of some sort (I have a THD Power Soak) and use that to get the sound you want at a higher volume and just lower the volume on the THD. I don't know if I would mess with the tubes with the fear of losing that great clean tone.

18. RiverRatt

Actually I picked up a Panama 1X12 cab used at Guitar Center a couple of months ago that has a built-in attenuator. It's only good for around 60 watts IIRC but I don't see myself building anything remotely close to that. It sounds really sweet, even turned down to apartment volume.

I took it to band practice Friday night with a little Champ head I built with a 6CM6 output tube and a couple of mods to boost the gain and OMFG! It sounded amazing.

19. RiverRatt

Sorry to resurrect this beast of a thread, but I just got a DSL40CR and have been trying what’s left of my preamp tube selection in it.

So far, the old formula of a Mullard in V1 and a Raytheon black plate in V2 seems like a killer combination. I’ve never been a big fan of the frame grid JJ ECC83 that Marshall is using. The gain on the Ultra 2 channel is especially smooth.

So, I’d anybody still rolling preamp tubes on here? I don’t know if any of the old crowd is still here, but I’d like to get back into doing some tube rolling and maybe even some trading. Anybody?

solarburnDSL50 and Dogs of Doom like this.
  20. mickeydg5

Its good to read from you again. People are rolling but posting their own threads. With a kingpin here, as yourself, people will get involved in this thread more once again. :yesway::)

Bownse and RiverRatt like this.