Preamp Tubes? - Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How?

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by joshuaaewallen, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Dimitar

Dimitar Active Member

I don't like EH tubes in preamp. For preamp I like Tungsols. EH power tubes are okay.

iron broadsword likes this.
  2. iron broadsword

iron broadsword Well-Known Member

Had a chance tonight at church to really play with the amp since putting all new tung-sol's in the preamp and MAN does it sing! Got some tung-sol 6l6GC-STR's in the power section, and put it all together and it's just beautiful in my JCM900!

3. joshuaaewallen

joshuaaewallen Active Member

Dang Alan... You always find the most interesting stuff...

4. RiverRatt

RiverRatt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Hey Josh! Yeah, you just gotta keep looking. You'll never find anything much if you don't ask. Tell enough people and you'll eventually find someone whose granddad worked on TV's and Radios and all his stuff is in the barn, that kind of thing.

Like I've always said, find and make friends with the HAM radio guys. They know their tubes and usually don't have much use for small receiving tubes like 12AX7's and EL84's. I bought over 3 dozen 12AX7's from a guy for $1 each. He was just cleaning out his shed and getting rid of stuff.

Raiding TV's and radios is okay, but you'll find maybe one gold nugget for every 99 turds you go through.

5. iron broadsword

iron broadsword Well-Known Member

The more I play on my dual reverb, the more I wonder about all the hate. I have to assume it boils down to 'eww, clipping diodes' + 'eww, it's not an 800' + 'I never thought to jumper the looop', cause with the fresh tung-sols in the preamp it sounds mind-blowing with the master on 2 even, on the 50watt mode. It breathes so well, it's sonic bliss!

6. RiverRatt

Don't listen to all the critics. If you like it, that's what matters. There's a lot of tone snobbery that goes on here but it all boils down to what's coming out of your speakers. If the guy in the front row can't tell you're using an amp with clipping diodes, then what's the problem?

joshuaaewallen and brp like this.
  7. brp

brp Well-Known Member

And Vox NT owners!
    I might have to hit that up too. I have a couple great sets as you know, but the phrase "blowout" is very inviting! :D

8. RiverRatt

Hey, you've already got some Sittards. They are the best thing to come out of Holland since Purple Haze.

9. joshuaaewallen

Too true... I probably also just plain need to get out more. I get lazy and don't stop at places that catch my eye...

... Shame on me... ;)

10. RiverRatt

Do it. You'll be amazed at what's out there. You have to get out there and follow through with every lead though. There's a fine line between being interested and being a complete pain in the ass that you have to learn not to cross.

The biggest SNAFU I ever talked myself into was one Saturday at the guy's house I got all the 5751's from. I had been awakened way too early that morning with at least 100 Harley's going past the house (I live in a place that's a popular weekend retreat - kinda like the Lake Tahoe of the Tennessee Valley). I was bitching about the house rattling and not being able to sleep, and then and only then did I notice the Harley parked in this old geezer's carport. I've been afraid to call him and ask him if he has anything else for sale.

11. brp

brp Well-Known Member

:applause: Indeed

12. joshuaaewallen

Yeah... I know yer right. I always seem to be in a hurry to get home, or am too tired or lazy. My few forays into old tube electronics have yield very few useful tubes, but I have, I admit, slacked off in the follow-through department...

Good story about putting your foot in your mouth with that guy... Sounds like me. I honestly have nothing at all against Harley's or those that ride them, but one time I recall telling a joke (Q: What's the difference between a Harley-Davidson and a Hoover Vacuum? A: The Hoover vacuum only holds one dirt-bag, while the Harley-Davidson holds two!) And then realizing I had just told it to a devoted Harley guy with his pride and joy sitting just 10ft away in his garage! Of course I didn't mean anything by it, and after that I'd liked to have crawled under a rock!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  13. RiverRatt

I know... one of my closest cousins has a motorcycle repair shop. He sells some gear too, but mainly he changes tires, trim, and does very good engine and tranny work. He had one of the first bikes I ever saw with ghost flames. It looked like a black tank until the sun hit it, and then there was a blaze of orange fire under the black. I designed his store logo even. I like motorcycles as much as the next guy but not at 7 a.m. on one of the two days of the week I have a decent shot at sleeping late on.

This is what the sign designer did with the logo I made. I thought my bike looked better. If any of you guys find yourselves traveling down US Highway 45 in Tennessee headed to the gulf, stop in and say "hi". The shop is just a few miles north of the Mississippi state line.

[​IMG]

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Whitaker-Motors-Cycle-Sales/179989503173

14. Captshiznit

Captshiznit New Member

Question for you preamp tube guys in the know.

Should I upgrade the preamp tubes on my marshall TSL 100?

Currently have JJ EL34 power tubes in it and the preamp tubes are the original Marshall ones. I think that came with the head which is 6-8 years old at a guess.

Should I bother replacing them? what kind of tonal improvements can I expect with some better tubes. Also what kind of preamp tubes should I be looking at? there is a huge list on eurotubes gold plated ones blah blah. I play mostly rock.

Cheers

15. RiverRatt

Check the serial number. The group of four digits is the year it was made. If it's an earlier one, it might have Marshall/Ei preamp tubes. They can sound really nice.

[​IMG]

16. Captshiznit

Captshiznit New Member

Each says something slightly different

One says VLVE-00040 below it WK27
    Another one: VLVE-00008R
    Other one: VLVE-00041 and WK43
    And last one: VLVE-00051 and WK41

Whatever any of that means.

17. RiverRatt

Matt, I keep forgetting about that when I'm on here. Yes, I checked it and it powers up and all the switches work. I don't have any leads that will fit it though. It's probably a great meter. I'd like to check it against my handheld Fluke just to see what it reads. It has high and low-impedance inputs. I really need to use it to calibrate my B&K 707 before I get rid of it.

18. RiverRatt

According to the info in the Workbench Valve Codes thread, your 00040 and 00008R are both Sovtek tubes made in Russia. There are a couple of pictures of 00041 and 00051 and they are Ei tubes. Look for a long plate tube with seams on the top of the tube like in the picture and smooth plates. I don't know if Marshall ever put the same number on different brands of tubes. If you could get us a picture of them it would help a lot. If they turn out to be Ei tubes they are good tone tubes. I used to run one in V1 and one in V4 of my DSL50.

19. joshuaaewallen

Hey mate, and welcome to the thread. Being a TSL user I personally am of the firm opinion that good tubes make this, already great sounding, rock amp, even better. With the right tubes you can really sculpt your tone into just want you desire with differences ranging from subtle to dramatic. I have a variety of sound samples of my rig, demoing a variety of different pre-amp tubes, to, hopefully, show just a few of the many tonal changes that can be achieved simply by changing one of the four pre-amp tubes in the TSL. At first it seems a bit daunting to sort through, but you will likely soon find that there are many more colors on the rainbow to tap into, just by virtue of those llittle glass bottles in your amp. That said... Have a look at the link below. I hope this proves somewhat helpful.

http://www.marshallforum.com/tone-zone/20825-preamp-tubes-auditioning-tubes.html

20. MM54

MM54 Well-Known Member

Your regular meter leads don't fit?

:cheers: Whenever you're done, if you can part with it, let me know and we'll see if the timing's right and can strike up a deal :cool: