Preamp Tubes? - Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How?

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by joshuaaewallen, Jan 29, 2009.

1. iron broadsword

iron broadsword Well-Known Member

Shipping was $2, it's on the way!

I'll probably grab a couple tung-sols for the other two slots now.

2. iron broadsword

I'd been considering using the tubes in my class 5 since they are brand new just to see if I like those in the JCM900, but I'm still in the honeymoon period with the C5 and I'm afraid to touch it. Sounds too awesome :p

3. Lowlife

Lowlife Well-Known Member

I tossed a Telefunken ECC81 in V1 and a Philips miniwatt in V2, the EL84 is a Telefunken as well...my C5 is awesome sounding now.

4. iron broadsword

When the tubes in my C5 start going I'll definitely try some other stuff in them, but I just love the tone out of the box. I've been consistently impressed by this little box of rock.

5. iron broadsword

6. iron broadsword

Dang.. did I just buy the wrong type of tube? I said I bought the Raytheon black plate, but noticed it didn't actually say 12ax7 in the listing.. but it looks like every other 12ax7 I've seen.

The description on the listing is this: RAYTHEON brand # 5687 Black Plate tube"

Did a search for 5687 and it seems like it's a dual triode, but I can't find anything saying it is or works as a 12ax7. I'm confused...

7. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

That is the wrong tube. It has different pin outs and low amplification factors. :(

8. iron broadsword

Sighage, that's what I thought. I sent a message to the seller to try and fix this before he mails it about 2 hrs ago. Tung-sol's it is.

9. RiverRatt

RiverRatt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Yeah, I was just looking at that. Similar gain to the 12AU7 but the plate resistance is a lot less.

10. MartyStrat54

MartyStrat54 Well-Known Member

Yes. We have discussed these tubes on many occasions. You have to do a little rewiring to get them to work. Once you do this, you can only use this tube. You are stuck with whatever tone the tube has.

These are the tubes that many will resort to when they can no longer get vintage or NOS tubes.

11. iron broadsword

Slapped a couple of new Tung-sol's in V1 and V3 this morning and WOW! I forgot how much I love these. V2 is my old tung-sol which sounds great but I'll pick up another new one anyways to put there, or keep as a spare if I don't hear a change.

Also, I've determined that I just hate EHx tubes. Every time I use one there's always something nasty in the very middle of the frequency band that I can't dial out with the EQ. Turn up the mids to an appropriate level and it hurts your ears. It was the same problem with my AVT150, so I must just not like that tube. The tung sol's give it a sweet and rich character that I have really fallen in love with since the very first time I used one.

12. MartyStrat54

MartyStrat54 Well-Known Member

I use EH tubes for the PI on occasion. I do not use them in gain stages.

13. RiverRatt

Dude, you're not the only one on here who's clicked the Buy It Now button only to realize later that you weren't bidding on what you thought you were. PM me next time with the URL or item number and I'll be glad to check it out for you. Most of the other regulars will help you out, too. I have gotten into a bidding war with some of the guys here but it was just because we didn't know we were both going after the same tube. I can't speak for every member here, but we don't step on other people's deals.

MM54 and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  14. RiverRatt

I've got to tell all of you about my latest tube experience. Those of you who know me are aware that my big tube-buying expeditions are usually full of the weird and supernatural. I run a weekly county newspaper with the help of my business partner and our single full-time employee. (Just to brag, we were chosen as the 2011 Small Business of the Year in our county!). It's a lot of work and we do all of it. I'm the computer geek/publisher, my partner is the reporter/editor. I know it's like being the head chicken plucker, but you have to have titles in this business.

Anyway, Thursday is our day to go out and call on customers, deliver papers to businesses, load coin-op racks, etc., the shit it takes out competitor 15 people to accomplish and we're still kicking their asses. There's this building I've driven past for 3+ years every Thursday. It's practically out in the middle of nowhere, and it has an old Zenith neon sign in the window (unlit).

Today for some reason, I decided to stop there and see what was going on with the building. I drove up to the house back in behind of the shop and introduced myself the lady who answered the door and told her that we were looking for tubes and related equipment. She said I'd have to talk to her husband and see what he said. I gave him a call and after awhile he said for us to just go through the building and see what we wanted. I didn't find hardly any old tubes, but she said he'd be home at 5 p.m. and I called dude and he said to meet there at 6 pm and he'd show me where the good stuff was.

So, I get there at 5:55 and he hasn't made it home yet. I called him and he said to go down and start picking out stuff and he'd be along in 45 minutes or so. I took my 19 year old son with me and we started going through everything we could find. I found at least 5 tube caddies which were EMPTY. I did find a few cardboard flats of tubes but nothing out of the ordinary.

When dude showed up, he said we were looking at the wrong place. The wall on the west side of the building had collapsed and the shelf that all the tubes were on were now reverting back to soil. It was more like archaeology than tube scavenging! We moved the shelf out of the way and dug through the remains of a particleboard floor, dirt, and brown recluse spiders and I think we dug out most of the tubes. I just finished going over the first batch and found 3 Amperex Bugle Boy EL84's (rX2), another 6BQ5 or two, maybe 4 Tung-Sol 12BZ7's, and maybe one 12AX7. That's when he told me that his veterinarian had already come in and took the tube tester, O-scope, and a few tubes that he could use repairing radios. Right. Same old song.

Anyway, he was a really nice dude and told us to come get whatever we wanted out of there before he burns the place down in the immediate future. There are electrolytics, resistors, signal caps, circuit boards loaded with all kinds of good components, but there doesn't appear to be much more tube-realated stuff except for a handful of empty caddies.

When we had worked up a good sweat, he told us that his veterinarian was a radio repairman who had picked through the tubes before the wall and tube shelves collapsed. I have an open offer to come back this weekend and sort through some more.

I got out with a hickok piece of equipment (maybe a signal generator), several of those tube socket adapters that let you take readings off the pins while the tube is operating, a GE 6BQ5, a handful of power tubes of the type that HAM radio people go crazy over, I think 4 or 5 12BZ7's, a LOT of 12AZ7's, a 12AU7's and one possible 12AX7. Not bad for $20 but I don't know if it was worth the work. He said to come back any time this weekend and go through it some more, and he also says he has a couple of outbuildings with more of his father's old tubes in them. I think I've found a way to spend my Saturday. :fingersx:

15. RiverRatt

Oh, I forgot to mention that 3 of the EL84's that I found are rX2 Amperex Bugle Boy Tubes! I'm going to see if they can out-do my old Mullard EL84 I'm running in the Class 5.

16. brp

brp Well-Known Member

Jeebus Allan, how do you find these places?! That would be so fun!
    You did already mention the Amperex el84's but it's ok to say it again cuz we can tell you're excited.

17. RiverRatt

Excited, full of wine, it's all good.

18. iron broadsword

Thanks, I appreciate that. :)

He turned out to be a great guy though and refunded the money without question.

mickeydg5 likes this.
  19. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

mickeydg5 and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  20. MM54

MM54 Well-Known Member

If you pick up the resistors/caps/etc let me know :hmm:

And as always, I'm jealous of your bizarre discovery :lol: