Preamp Tube Suggestions Out Of The Tubes I Have

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by tomykoz, Jan 9, 2017.

1. tomykoz

tomykoz Active Member

got a haze 40 ...any suggestions which slots i should put some of the following preamp tubes i have laying around for the best blues/rock sound.
    My haze has 3 12ax7s preamp sockets ...one being the inverter

-telefunken ecc83(a real old one,has the square etched between the bottom pins and the markings almost all worn off..)ribbed plate
    -jan phillips 12ax7wa
    -marshall ecc83
    -ecc81 tube that says fender on it
    -2 bugera 12ax7b(someone told me bugera is ruby tubes)

these all test good

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  2. blues

blues Member

Try them out for yourself. Just switch them around. The V1 will give you the most difference. The ECC81/12AT7 is not used in your amp.

I think with Telefunken there should be a diamond shape in the glass. I could be wrong but I never saw one with a square shape.

3. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

The JAN Phillips is an old military tube, and should sound great in V1.
    I don't like Telefunkens in Marshalls, kinda flat, more for hifi, IME, but I haven't tried more than a couple.

The others could be anything...and the ECC81 won't have as much gain, so won't work well in that amp.

Just put them in and switch them around until you like it. I bet the Phillips will sound the best in V1 if it isn't tired.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    tomykoz likes this.
  4. SteelLucky

SteelLucky Member

Phillips V1, Marshall ecc83 in the PI.

tomykoz likes this.
  5. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    Phillips in V-1

tomykoz likes this.
  6. tomykoz

tomykoz Active Member

thx for the help....ill try all the suggestions and let ya know which i liked....didnt know v1 had the most impact on tone...very helpfull...thx,tom

7. tomykoz

tomykoz Active Member

...ya sorry meant triangle

8. tomykoz

tomykoz Active Member

wow....phillips in the v1 sounds great!!!.....thx!.....and the marshall tube sounded good in the pi...didnt like the telefuken,ya know i looked up a price for a new telefunken at thetubestore.com....if i read that right they want $469 for that tube????..i should list it on ebay

..these haze amps i know are cheap and definately no bluesbreaker....but for the $300 it cost me it aint a bad little amp....i adjusted bias to 39ma...but i never checked the plate current...gotta look up which pins to check on the tube sockets.....im too cheap to take it to a tech.....i see online some place called tone hunters does some amazing tone shaping with amps.....maybe if i dont eat for a month i could buy a nice bluesbreaker :)

9. soundboy57

The Haze amps are great. A friend brought one over, and running through a vintage cab it killed...

tomykoz likes this.
  10. tomykoz

tomykoz Active Member

amazing collection!!!!.....its like a marshall candy store....love the vintage cabs...to think i owned the 1960a/b in the 70s with a plexi super lead....i ripped out the celestions and loaded with sro's....then took my 1968 les paul custom and ripped out the vintage pickups and put in dimarzios...what an idiot i was.....

11. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

I had a Haze 40 at one point, shouldn't have sold it....errr! I did a a few mods to it and it sounded even better. I member on the JVM Forum had a list of nice cheap mods. I did about half of them changing a few caps and resistors. I even put a choke and a new OT in it along with a Creamback speaker.

12. soundboy57

Well, he had the Haze 15 head, and we were doing a vintage shootout in the living room full of old stuff, and it really sounded quite great!
    He also had a combo that I never heard, but he had numerous issues with.
    I love his JVM Satriani, as well.
    I have thinned down a lot of my cabs, and kept the better ones.

We were all idiots at some point, LOL....my best example would be the (mint) red 1979 slant cab,
    with G12 65 in it, that I painted black with vinyl dye to match the other gear...
    That would be in about 1980...
    Funny thing is....nobody liked the colored Marshalls, that I remember, in the 70s.
    They would sit in the store til they gave them away, especially the "fawn" ones...
    Now they are "rare"...

tomykoz likes this.
  13. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

No you weren't..only now that some artificial value has been placed on this stuff is it considered a "sin"...SO many people did the same thing..and the end result was GOOD MUSIC. Whether anyone likes it or not, the Super Distortion helped shape the sound of mid 70's hard rock, making it HARDER...

Think about it.. There was a REASON you pulled the T Tops out, right? Again, only now are they considered some holy grail...back then, they sure as hell weren't. They were the '57 Classics of their day..nothing at all special....I like T tops, but they aren't worth having one shred of regret over for changing.

I have a '70's warrior Les Paul, and the Super Distortion and PAF combo are there for GOOD.

[​IMG]

tomykoz and Jethro Rocker like this.
  14. tomykoz

tomykoz Active Member

ya i guess.....i think back and remember brands like sears silvertone amps and tapco mixers and magnatone amps ect...all junk to me back then....and now people pay good money for them and think they sound great...

...guess its easy to loose site of what use to sound good and what didnt....this digital/software/modeling garbage is making us all lazy and crazy :).

....i remember when i bought an amp by bringing in my guitar and plugging straight into an amp and cranking it to 10...it either sounded good or bad...if bad i went to the next amp,and so on(but to me playing rock marshall plexi was king).......i think its a sin now to rip up a vintage les paul ect because todays products cant compare to yesteryears stuff.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Kris Ford likes this.
  15. tomykoz

tomykoz Active Member

sorry for gettin off topic...im old and i get fired up about gear....i am surprised though why marshall didnt keep the haze line and just make it in england.....i really think it sounds better than the new dsl40c line...maybe i just played thru a bad one(dsl40)but i didnt like it.....

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  16. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-use long plate pre's-

-NOS or ANOS or used, if your going cp, I really like GOLD LION & EH.

Kris Ford likes this.
  17. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

I use high gain Mullard long plate in my V1s.. F92:
    [​IMG]
    In my 2203, I run the Mullard F92 in V1, and a Mullard I63 short plate in V2, and a lopsided high gain JJ ECC83 in V3.

In my '74 JMP, It's the Mullard long plate F91 in V1, and a Brimar long plate in V2, with a CV4004/M8137 box plate in V3.

Though I could live with high gain JJs, NOS/ANOS is a magical thing...a friend really opened my eyes..and the results were not subtle...more clarity, and a finer and more harmonic musical distortion.

Hell, if you flipped that Telefunken, you could easily score a couple NOS Mullards.

SG~GUY and GIBSON67 like this.
  18. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-I used to be a big JJ fan, helped with the MARSHALL briteness, I would always put a JJ 803S-(long plate)-in V1, now I don't like any JJ tubes, my favorite NOS/ANOS/USED pre's are AMPEREX & RCA LONG PLATES, but I have found anything old and Long plate to be superior to any short plate offerings either old or cp, Some will say that the long plates are more apt to be microphonic, I have run across a few, but the positive far out weighs the negative..

-C.P. GOLD LION gold pins-(no I don't buy into the "gold pin hype")-but the gold pin construction is clearly different than the standard pin offerings, where some GOLD LION's & ELECTRO HARMONIX are identical. Love there C.P. power tube's as well, I have a quad of GOLD LION KT88's I have been pounding the piss out of for almost 10 years with an insanely high bias,

19. tomykoz

tomykoz Active Member

ya..im gonna sell the telefunken....it was free to me...its not a tube i like

20. tomykoz

tomykoz Active Member

View attachment 39484
    ya your right...we ripped out that crap because our mods made it better......sometimes ya wanna choke these designers because there too stupid to do it right the first time....we shouldnt have to mod a new guitar or amp....
    .....just traded my marshall haze 40 for a 2014 aniversary lpj,,,,although its no gem it plays and feels real nice after a set up and fret dressing.....im gonna put in dimarzios and strip all the paint just like i did with my 68 les paul custom(i miss that guitar)
    ......i only paid $299 for the haze....figure ill snag another soon....i just jam with my retired buddys and dont feel like lugging around a big rig IMG_20170125_184344.jpg

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    SG~GUY and Kris Ford like this.