pre-Celestion Rola G12...

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Nik Henville, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    Most of us know pre-Rola Celestions (possibly the best sounding guitar speakers ever made).

Way back in 1947 ‘Celestion Ltd’ merged with ‘British Rola Ltd’ and became ‘Rola Celestion Ltd’ from then onwards, long before any greenbacks or Celestion branded guitar speakers were ever made.

A pre-rola speaker is any Celestion greenback made between Jan 1966 and April 1971 with a Pulsonic cone. During this period, the greenback labels did not have the word ‘Rola’ written on them, and so guitarists called them ‘pre-rola’.

But I am looking at a Rola - pre-Celestion, from Ferry Works, Summer Road, Thames Ditton, Surrey. This was from before the 1947 takeover of Celestion by British Rola. I am guessing it is post WWII - 1946, 1947 or shortly thereafter.

Looks much like this one...

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/3/3e/Im194906WW-BR.jpg

[​IMG]

Anyone ever used one? Should I pull the trigger "for old tone's sake" ?

2. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

Show some photos and an indication of price.

Not sure what you mean by "pre-Celestion". It is either made by British Rola Ltd (pre-1947) or it is made by Rola Celestion Ltd (1947 onwards).

If it looks the same as the ad above it is probably a Rola Celestion Ltd, B024/B025 or a P74. Likely made during the 1950's. Some have a Rola label and some have a Celestion label. Don't pay silly money for them. They are not a vox blue equivalent, but nice enough speakers. Very low power handling (10 to 12w) so be careful when using them, and also be very careful when buying them. Most sellers are completely clueless about checking for coil rub but ask silly money for their speakers regardless. If they are asking any more than 125 GBP per speaker start treading very carefully...

3. fifteenohms

fifteenohms Well-Known Member

Exactly. They didn’t have the gap/wire gauge/coil former formula down enough to be a pre-Blue archeological breakthrough.

I’ve torn apart lots of these things, and the way Jim Seaval also may concur, the materials used were just too cheap at the time... aside from the- OoooooOOooohh - “AlcoMax” technologicals right there in the ad.

4. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    Thank you, folks.

I will take that as a "No, you should NOT pull the trigger..."

Just wondered. Will stick with my Greenbacks and save myself the ten bucks...

:hippie::uk: