Power tubes matched?

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Emtbreid, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Emtbreid

Emtbreid Well-Known Member

Idk about the 2204 but the DSL401 I have has a lot less background noise and hum on all channels with that matched set. Sounds a lot better too, more clear.

2. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

:thumbs:
    Good is it not?

3. Emtbreid

Absolutely 100% better. I don’t think my power tubes I had in there were bad per se, but definitely worn out. Idk how old they were when I got it last October but I’ve put well over 400 hours on them since then, easily.

If you read back, you’d see I had no issues changing out and biasing. However, an older post had recommended waiting a half hour one you turn the standby off to let the amp stabilize, then set the bias, if you don’t wait you’d get erroneous readings? I didn’t do that that night, but I did last night. Turned the bias pot all the way down low as it would go, waited exactly 30 minutes, then set the bias. Perfection! And again, thank you for all of your help, everyone that gave advice !

4. Emtbreid

That’s last night after correct bias. Please excuse the less than great playing. JCM2000 DSL401 and a tube screamer mini ...

5. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

I was running a 6L6 on one side and an EL34 on the other side last week. I thought it sounded pretty good.

john hammond likes this.