Power Soak made out of a toaster ?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Richman1, Oct 31, 2009.

1. MajorNut1967

MajorNut1967 New Member

Bloody Smart Alec! LOL GO Jon Go

2. MartyStrat54

MartyStrat54 Well-Known Member

If this even works, if it quit then the amp would default its power to the speakers and get louder, or an open would occur and it would go silent. It would all boil down to how it was wired, fused and what gauge of power cord you used.

I would never try something like this. No matter how much I knew about electronics. It makes for a humorous thread though.

3. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

I have no idea about the tone properties of the inductive/resistive business or what other problems to consider, but if this was viable or "novelty viable", it seems to me that a toaster oven would be the better unit to work with seeing how the elements are designed to kick on over a longer rate of time as well as adjust for various temperatures.

4. MartyStrat54

It works...it works!!!:fingersx:

I just baked some chocolate chip cookies and played Stairway To Heaven at the same time. Now all I need to figure out is how to get a glass of cold milk?

Let's see, a refrigerator could be wired into the reverb circuit...:naughty:

5. MajorNut1967

MajorNut1967 New Member

Squeeze my sisters tit!

6. MartyStrat54

...good God...you mean it comes out cold? What does she look like? I'm available.:wave:

7. Wilder Amplification

Wilder Amplification New Member

This part isn't about tone...it's about the type of electrical load imposed on the amp vs the type of load that a transformer coupled amplifier is designed to work with. A resistive load is non-reactive, i.e. it maintains a constant load value regardless of signal frequency. Valves and output transformers are not designed to work with non-reactive loads. Speakers are an inductive load that is reactive, i.e. its load impedance (i.e. ohms) changes with frequency. This is why you never see any resistive power soaks and why you only see inductive power soaks. It's been proven that non-reactive loads are harmful to valves and output transformers and this is why the resistive/non-reactive type is not around anymore.