Power Soak made out of a toaster ?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Richman1, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Richman1

Richman1 New Member

If you were to take a two slice toaster and cut the plug off it and then solder a 1/4 inch jack onto the power cord, then measure the Ohms, you will have very close to 16 Ohms with the toaster engaged to make toast. This could be a poor mans power soak. I don't have the balls to try it, but theoreticly it should work. Amp set on 8 Ohm setting..one cab and the modded toaster and crank it up. It would be more like a partial dummy load than a power soak.This will trick the amp into thinking that its running two cabs. I don't recomend trying this, I just want to know why it would or would not work. Again I would never try something like this, nor would I encourage anyone else too either..

2. Buggs.Crosby

Buggs.Crosby New Member

Enough Said!

3. Procter2812

Procter2812 Active Member

Paul Gilbert did this when he got his 1987 50 watter.
    He said it worked.

4. Richman1

Richman1 New Member

It's funny that you said that because Paul talked about that to me back in 1982 when my band and his band (Giant) played the same clubs in Pgh, Pa. but I never new he ever tried it. He had two 50watt plexi heads back then. Thats interesting,,I wonder if it mudded the sound at all ? Pauls amps were heavily modded back then.

5. rich24a

rich24a Active Member

6. PaoloJM

PaoloJM Well-Known Member

This will work as described, but how quickly do you think your toaster would burn out if you ran it for a solid two hours gig at a time?
    Once it burns up or fails in some other way then you've no load and now your amp becomes toast!! :naughty:

7. donkost

donkost Active Member

This is a classic... this is the reason I connect to the internet 59 times per day. LOL

8. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

Why not a Kettle and Toaster on two amps, and make some snacks in the break.

9. MajorNut1967

MajorNut1967 New Member

LOL your are all off your bloody head's! Make some toast & jam I'll bring the Tea. Then we can all wrap aluminum foil around our heads and wait for messages from outer space?

10. Richman1

Richman1 New Member

What you do is put it on top of your amp and stick two pieces of bread in it, and if you see smoke, you know to hurry and turn your amp off....

11. Adwex

Adwex New Member

I'm not an expert, but the toaster is a resistive load, not inductive. It may work, but it's not the best idea. Like Paolo said, what happens when the toaster's heating element fails and you don't know it.

I'd be curious though to see how bright the heating elements would glow and how much heat would be produced. I'm sure most toasters put out alot more than 100 watts, so even with your amp cranked, I betcha you won't see any glowing at all, and no toast will be made.

12. PaoloJM

I'm not sure what's so funny here guys.
    Most toaster ovens that I know of use resistive heating elements that are designed to dissipate heat efficiantly. In some ways a toaster may actually be better than a power resistor for the job.
    The thing is, as Adwex points out, it is purely resistive and so I'd question the tone you might get and as I'd mentioned earlier it would be unacceptably prone to failure. I'd also agree that with Adwex that the power produced by an amp wouldn't even get a toaster glowing, especially when you consider an amp produces musical power ie, not constant.

I'm only joking about not getting what's funny though, it'd be pretty dumb looking alright!! :D

13. donkost

donkost Active Member

I see the potential to start a new thread on which model of toaster gives the best tone and reliability- a toaster shootout if you will.

At my house we're still using a 1994 GE toaster that was a wedding present. Would I get vintage tone out of a '94 model? ;)

14. Adwex

Adwex New Member

LOL. What if I took my new toaster and replaced the heating element with a NOS part?

15. Adwex

Adwex New Member

Nah, '94 was a bad year for toasters, now if it was a '59..........

16. PaoloJM

Pfff, that thing probably has solid state control circuitry. It's valve based toaster controls all the way for me, might even replace the heating element with a NOS GE power valve and cook my toast that way :lol:

17. steelhorse

steelhorse New Member

I use my amps as toasters

18. MajorNut1967

MajorNut1967 New Member

Right Bro,
    You could roast a bloody Duck with my baby-major.

19. MajorNut1967

MajorNut1967 New Member

You guys are great fun, carry on!

20. Wilder Amplification

Wilder Amplification New Member

X2 on the resistive vs inductive load bit.

Also, a toaster is made to heat up with a 120 volt swing. If the toaster were in fact 16 ohms, the math states that it draws 7.5 amps @ 120VAC RMS, which translates to 900 watts. Obviously your guitar amp cannot produce this. Across a 16 ohm load it will only swing to 40 VAC RMS, so I doubt the toaster would even heat up like you think it would.