Post Your JMP's...!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by custom53, Mar 29, 2014.

1. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Here are my two 2204 JMP's. One is an 80 and the other is an 81.

Attached Files:

BURSTBUCKERBLACK likes this.
  2. MarshallDog

Burstbuckerblack, That is one nice and big collection of JMP's.

My question is have you ever replaced the faceplate on any of these because they were faded and/or scratched up. I was thinking of changing mine and found these repro's from Mojotone and they look great. It looks like a few of yours may have been changed because I can't see the S/N box and was just curious or maybe it is just the pic, not sure.

Custom Control Plate, Faceplate/Backplate/Logo Capabilities - Mojotone.com

If you have, let me know who's faceplates you used and any reco's as to glue that you used when replacing them, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

3. SFK

SFK New Member

1974 1959:

[​IMG]

BURSTBUCKERBLACK and stilllifer like this.
  4. BURSTBUCKERBLACK

BURSTBUCKERBLACK Active Member

All of my JMP 2203's have original faceplates except one.
    It is a 1977 JMP and the original faceplate didn't have a serial number on the faceplate. Marshall didn't start serializing the front faceplate till 1979. a few of mine are pre 79 and that's why you notice no serial number.
    Ok now the one I did replace I used the mojotone one and it looked good and will work since the metal replacements don't exist. So I thought and I did find a seller on ebay who had 2 metal replacements they were NOS and old and in his collection of stuff he was parting with. I knew how rare a find this was and decided to by one and it wasn't cheap either...He knew what he had... So we worked out a deal and I was able to get it for a hefty $200 but better than his original asking price of $300 and change...The one thing I did like about the mojo tone one is its made of thin plastic looks like the real thing kinda plexi-ish... and the markings are etched into the front and will never rub off or wear off...Installation is simple... remove the knobs and jacks unscrewing everything... and carefully unsolder the power and stand-by switches... mark the wires where they go for resoldering...Once you do that use a sharp scraper and remove the old faceplate...use a hair dryer or a heat gun and soften the double stick tape and the old face plate will pop right off...I used 3M double sided tape to install the faceplate...Make sure you have positioned perfectly because this is a one shot deal and you will crack or break the mojotone faceplate if you try to reposition it... then after you put the faceplate on... reinstall all the knobs, jacks and switched and your done. Hope this was helpful and good luck. You might check ebay and see if you can locate the 2nd one I didn't by if you want spend the money and its still available. Here is a pic of the mojo tone faceplate installed. and the NOS metal faceplate from the eBay add I purchased.
    :slash:

Attached Files:

5. MarshallDog

Thanks Bro for the info. I actually have 2 of the Mojotone ones on order and they should be here this week. I did't want to mention that in fear of being told they are junk or a stupid idea to change them. Imwas thinking of using a small bit of clear GE silicone, that way I'll have a few minutes to position the faceplate before it's too late.

Also, dam funny you would mention the two on eBay. I saw them and was watching them. The next day I went to buy one and one was sold and the other one ended buy Seller. So I contacted the Seller asking what happened and he said he sold one and is keeping the other. I tried to get him to sell it but he wouldn't go for it and I was not about to offer him 500 - 1000 dollars for it either. Then I stumbled onto Mojotones faceplates and they looked great. Is that a pic of your amp that they have online?

Thanks again for the info...

6. BURSTBUCKERBLACK

LOL Just PMed you yes its my amp on the Mojo site...oh well... guess he decided to keep the other cause either its such a rare item in case he needs it for a future amp. I sent him pics of the finished amp. so guess he has future plans knowing how nice the finished product turned out lol oh well you will be very very happy I promise you with the mojo faceplate...:yesway:

7. NativH

NativH New Member

My '73 1959SL is all original, including the 2 wire cord (to be replaced) but the original owner installed a PPIMV in the 4th speaker out. No extra hole in the back panel. It is a January '73 head and a PTP one at that. It is sitting on a Hiwatt with '74 cast frame Fanes. Monster tone but I have to be easy with those speakers, with the SL. My white '71 1987 is in a repro cab to match my '97 35th Anniversary 1960AX. I still have the original large box with dome feet in pristine condition. In fact this amp is in pristine original condition except for my replacement of the 2 wire power cord with a grounded 3 wire. Mullard XF2's and I63 ECC83's throughout except for Mullard CV4024's in the PI positions. [​IMG][​IMG]

MarshallDog, BURSTBUCKERBLACK and SFK like this.
  8. BURSTBUCKERBLACK

Awesome set up :yesway: I bet they sound great!!! From what I have gathered the 73 seems to be the"one" to have when it comes to the plexi. I don't know but the ones on youtube that I have heard sound great to me!!!

9. NativH

NativH New Member

The '73 is special to me for several reasons, one being I was a senior in HS then and playing in a band. But with an old Ampeg not something like this which I would have loved to have. Getting it from the original owner was also special as he took very good care of it. I can live without the MV and plan to reverse it when replacing the 2 wire cord. The 1st owner took some of the PTP board components (mustard caps, etc), and bent them back to use in the PPIMV. I hope to just rebend them (carefully), resolder in place, and get the originality back. I will have to find an old original spec fourth speaker 1/4 inch since he didn't have that to send to me. I just want to hear and use this head in its original glory. But then I will also play it through my 1960TV with G12H30 Anniversary's instead of putting those beautiful Hiwatt 25W purple label cast frame Fanes at risk with a full strength SL. :eek: In fact, the '73 SL sits on the 1960TV right now as my '70 DR103 has rights to the Hiwatt 4x12.

The '73 SL is actually a fairly warm and restrained head compared to the '71 1987. The 1987 is pure R&R and that white halfstack and my R9 is just plain fun to play without any effects. Very mid's heavy without painful highs (clipped the bright cap) which works great with the English manufactured GB's (T1221's) in that 35th Anniversary 1960AX. I have a killer JTM45RI that Paul Ruby PTP'd for me with Marstran OT/PT back around '04 (loaded w/all GEC's/Mullards). That JTM45RI/1960TV halfstack is my best sounding Marshall hands down, with lush 3D cleans when set on the verge of crunch. I used it in my last two bands as it is so pedal friendly that I can go from Petty to AC/DC to STP to Priest quite convencingly without blasting the crowd's eardrums out. That is my #1 go to Marshall, but, this is a JMP thread. :naughty:;)

10. BURSTBUCKERBLACK

Great info thanks for sharing :applause: I'm very impressed :yesway:
    Now I want a 73 :naughty:

11. matt3310

matt3310 New Member

12. matt3310

matt3310 New Member

13. groovenev

groovenev New Member

[​IMG] I sold the original two 1960a/b cabs

14. keiffer76

keiffer76 New Member

77 cameron/aldrich modded jmp.

Attached Files:

15. biggs

biggs Well-Known Member

My JMP's. Love these amps!!!

1959RR and 1959HW

Attached Files:

16. Oatie

Oatie New Member

This is my Bedroom rig this week,
    a 1973 20 watt 2061 and a 1972 JMP50 ,
    both have all old stock Mullard glass, old
    Holland EL84 in the 2061 that tested so strong
    they made the amp sound better than ever.

[​IMG]\

tweedman8758 likes this.