Possible Allman Brothers Reunion?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Crawford354, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Crawford354

Crawford354 New Member

Lately I've really gotten into the aleman brothers and unfortunately didn't get to see them before they broke up last oct. For fans of this band, what do you think the possible chances of a reunion are given all the interviews Gregg has done lately about it?

Gregg Allman Talks Dickey Betts and the Future of the Allman Brothers « Radio.com

2. MaxFrames

MaxFrames Well-Known Member

You mean with duane? =D

3. Crawford354

Crawford354 New Member

Lol I wish, it would be cool if for the 50th they got back with dickey though

4. Crawford354

Crawford354 New Member

I did get to see the tedeschi Trucks band and meet derek trucks, which was awesome. He was really nice and humble.

DaDoc likes this.
  5. TheSunShinesThrough

TheSunShinesThrough Well-Known Member

They were the first band I ever saw live, my dad took me to a show when I was a kid. Saw a hippie chick OD after blowing down a huge line of coke. I was 9.

tubes likes this.
  6. Crawford354

Crawford354 New Member

Did you get to see them with Duane?

7. Crawford354

Crawford354 New Member

Anything interesting you remember about it?

8. TheSunShinesThrough

I don't remember if it was with Duane or not but I do remember one of their nephews (I think?) was playing lead guitar with them and he was great. He was only 17-19 years old at the time if I remember correctly.

9. Crawford354

Crawford354 New Member

That would be derek trucks, he's 36 now. Probably early to late 90's if I'm right. Duane died in 71 from a motorcycle accident

TheSunShinesThrough likes this.
  10. Crawford354

Crawford354 New Member

11. Crawford354

Crawford354 New Member

12. TheSunShinesThrough

I was mesmerized by the artisanship of the band. Not one mistake the entire show. Solos that would go on for 20 minutes straight. The Allman Brothers were my dad's favorite band. They were pretty much my introduction into rock n roll. When I was a toddler I used to sing Tied to the Whipping Post with my dad as he played the guitar. To see them live, I was star struck.

13. Crawford354

Crawford354 New Member

Yes, you're lucky

TheSunShinesThrough likes this.
  14. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

I saw them back in the mid 70's, it was at an outdoor concert at the Charlotte speedway. Wolfman Jack was the MC, and they had a helluva lineup..Marshall Tucker, Foghat, Grinderswitch, Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Black Oak Arkansas, Emerson, Lake And Palmer, with the ABB coming on last.

By that point I was kinda partied out, since the Allmans didn't come on till around midnight, but when they did finally come on they played till nearly daylight the next morning! :cool:

Of course that was with the old lineup including Dicky, but Duane and Berry Oakley were gone by then. I've not seen them in concert since then either, although I've had plenty of chances to. (I know, I'm a dumbass) Especially since they took my old friend and hometown boy Warren Haynes aboard. I kicked myself for not going to more of their concerts when I heard the band was hanging it up.

Duane was a great loss to the musical world, he influenced SO many slide players that came along later, including Warren.

tubes likes this.
  15. Crawford354

Crawford354 New Member

yes he was, I've heard warren is a real nice guy to his fans, like Derek. He's actually from asheville NC, as I live in Charlotte I can relate to the location you're talking about. He said that the door is always open to a reunion in the future, so you may have a chance to see them again.

16. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Yup, I grew up in Asheville as well. I lived over on the west side of town and Warren lived on the north side. I met him back in the late 70's when he was playing in a local band called Ricochet. We used to always wind up at a lot of the same after-hours parties since we both knew a lot of the same people. He was a killer player even back then and I was always pumping him for info on gear and guitar licks. One night he sat in for a guy that couldn't make a weekend gig at a local jam bar, and one of David Allen Coe's people was there looking for a new guitar player for DAC's band. He offered Warren the gig, Warren took it and never looked back!

Warren's always been a super nice guy, no ego or pretense whatsoever. He's also totally dedicated to his craft, and is always forging ahead and stretching himself out playing-wise..It's certainly served him well too. We used to all be into the ABB, Warren wound up playing with them!

Most cool! :cool:

I've met Derek too, really nice kid..I was impressed as hell with his playing from the first time I saw him, as well as his very polite, quiet manner.

I bought my first Marshall amp in Charlotte, I think the place was called Reliable Music or something like that..A 100 watt JCM 800 and Vintage series A cab..I still have the cab.

TheSunShinesThrough and delstele like this.
  17. Crawford354

Crawford354 New Member

Yeah unfortunately charlotte no longer has any local music stores, just sam ash and guitar center. cool story!

18. tubes

tubes Well-Known Member

many posts, few vids....

Here you go.

Soulshine:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE1lsCA-y-o[/ame]