poppy new caps? boil boil toil and trouble ?

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Exotic, Jan 19, 2020.

1. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

"the noise should go away eventually..."

Yeah right...
    I find that idea goofy as hell. There is no reason why a capacitor should need to be "broken in," and it puzzles me why anybody would believe that.
    The idea is ridiculous to start with IMHO.

MickeyJ likes this.
  2. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

popping sounds in marshalls when idle ,is that contagious? because my jcm 900 is doing it too ! coincidence?
    do they(jcm 800 too) have something in common ? i have been trying different cabs ,which one is the phase inverter? and what else could make both amps make popping noises?

3. MickeyJ

MickeyJ Well-Known Member

standby switch.

4. MickeyJ

in your case, it's maybe the power in your house, refrigerators turning on and off, fluoro lights, there could be a bad transformer hanging on the streetpost providing power to your house, could be plenty of things to do with the power coming out of your wall

5. MickeyJ

and people read this shit online and just keep circulating it.
    What i don't like about it is that it makes guitar players/techs out to be brain dead idiots, what a load of utter crap.
    In relation to caps ' breaking in' and the sound changing to smoother or whatever the fool is typing out, what's happening is that listeners ear is changing, not the caps.

6. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

well i do have a powerline networking device that has a plug thru outlet on it and it hogs up the whole outlet which then goes to a power strip or surge protector ? lets say that's it ,u think it's safe for the amps or could it cause damage at some point? i should try to plug straight into the outlet with nothing else on it huh?

7. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

If you can put scope on amp you would see square blocks in the signal it is called boxcars . Some how a tube is unstable try rolling some tubes to start with

8. MickeyJ

I think there are pro ( $$ ) power conditioners that work, and budget type ones that most definitely do not work, but do protect from things like big surges and lightning strikes, i dont trust them either i unplug everything during lightning

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  9. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

It could be tube socket arcing or arcing in the power tube.

10. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

It was the powerline networking device I removed it .plugged the amp straight in and both the JCM 800 and the Jcm 900 were really quiet with the guitar switched off