plexi users opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Buzzard, Jul 24, 2019.

1. fifteenohms

fifteenohms Well-Known Member

This is where I chime in my unrequested opinion about Mustard caps.

Wimas are fine.

neikeel likes this.
  2. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

I certainly dig plexi power tube clipping. IMO, its clean and semi-clean tones are equally desirable.

Ed King through a Marshall (1987) 50 watt + Strat... Amp volumes were maxed. The pickups were weak, so the clipping is minimal.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  3. john hammond

john hammond Well-Known Member

Theres no doubt la mar master volume changes sound of amp ( when turned to say...5 or 6 ), but, its not a bad sound. You can always turn it up full and basically bypass it anyway. Plexi 100w with la mar m/v and tasty iron is the King of amps.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. 2203xman

2203xman Well-Known Member

It changes too much IMHO.I installed the larmar type 2.My amp became very boxy sounding,and dull.The presence control was useless.The gain was very different ,rather raspy,and harsh.I wish that I had left it in long enough to add a one wire mod with it.I honestly think that would have smoothed it out.The pcb board on a 1987x is very difficult to lift properly.The wires are tight,and you will have to unsolder a bunch of stuff.Soldering from the top is risky,and it's easy to weaken a connection.

5. john hammond

john hammond Well-Known Member

the amp ive got here has tasty everything, signal caps, iron etc. 2203xman maybe you're hearing your caps or your o/t or glass ? I cant get this thing to sound bad, it's a monster. With master at say around half or maybe a bit more, the amp isn't punchy, it's just creamier. Without M/v ( or with m/v turned up) it's got that classic punch, I see the M/v as affecting delivery, rather than frequency response, although you do get less harmonic bloom when you get below 7-8-9. If you have anything in your amp made in china, throw it away and get the good stuff- with the exception of some old 12ax7s..actually re-reading your message it sounds like maybe you had too much presence ( changed by resistor and what tap that resistor goes to and maybe presence pot cap) ..i HATE that fizzy raspy sound of too much presence

6. 2203xman

Amp has some nice vintage glass and new prod Tungsol el34b power tubes.Stock, this amp rocks with the best of them.Perhaps it was the crappy alpha dual 250k pot.Loosing presence is a shared common side effect of this mod .Much discussion of it on another forum with that thread that goes on for hundreds of pages.I do love my 1987 ,just stock.Well,to be fair,close to stock,I have a 100uf bright cap,and lowered the value of the 330 cathode cap.I think it is just a preference of power tube drive over phase inverter drive.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  7. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Its a good sounding Marshall
    Its loud as fck .
    Some kind of attenuation is a good thing , be it a ppimv or actual attenuator (which have improved leaps n bounds since the Scholz era)
    They work great for bass

8. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

The irony , Ed considered himself a Gibson guy ,coming in .....but in order to find sonic space 'tween them other two, he moved to a strat ......a brilliant move

Ed & EARLY 70s Clapton made me appreciate a strat for it's actual tone ....as opposed to the Jimi fuzz face thing , which I dig as well ,but I personally I prefer my strats n teles have their REAL tone

Im not a fan of overly gained up Marshalls
    As far as Gibson type tones go ...AC/DC ,FREE,even 70s Schenker ...they're not so gained up

9. walshb

walshb Active Member

I agree, I like to hear each string when playing chords, and either boost or increase guitar volume for solos. AC/DC and Free are just right, IMO.

79 2203 and 2203xman like this.
  10. 2203xman

Amen. I know we all like different tones,but this is what I love as well.Refreshing.

11. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

The PPIMV is a compromise (all designs are compromises) to reduce loudness of a high power amplifier.
    This creates an "acceptable" sound at lower volume...
    But it doesn't sound like the output distortion of a Plexi any longer.

The Plexi is a benchmark that all others are compared to.
    But at the same time it's impracticable to play an amp at F15 jet fighter after-burner volume to get a good tone.

12. grainman

grainman Well-Known Member

pedecamp likes this.
  13. grainman

grainman Well-Known Member

the good slp's to score its the late 2016-2017...they were using the hw trannies for it ...they had only few sold ...my 2016 is # 21 on the 45 week of 2016...they were not mass produced

14. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

My drink of choice there’re to brother!
    Cheers Mitch

15. 79 2203

79 2203 Active Member

I've owned a 74 Superlead, a 98 Superlead, and a Ceriatone 1987 clone. The defining word to describe all these amps (if you like to set your amps to mid gain crunch)is LOUD. My current 4 amps are 2203's from 79, 80, and 82, and a 82 4104, so I like it loud, but those stock NMV amps were brutally unusable even for reasonably loud gigs. Forget about playing at home.

I eventually put a PPIMV on the 98 and it sounded great, but I just preferred the 2203's so moved it on.

16. matttornado

matttornado Well-Known Member

The problem I always had with all of the PPIMV designs was that it would sound awesome at bedroom volume but not so good at band practice or gig volume. The master had to be turned up way too loud before the amp would sound good. My amp needs the output tube distortion or it just
    doesn't work for me.

2203xman likes this.
  17. RoadShow

RoadShow New Member

If possible I'd like to steer this conversation a little towards the use of an attenuator/load box as it has been mentioned here. I've been thinking about trying one, in particular either the Two Notes Torpedo Captor or a Weber perhaps the Mass III.

Any one ever use one of these (or others) or have any input from experience?

18. assaf110

assaf110 Well-Known Member

I recon the captor is a fix -20db attenuator, so, depending on your case, that may be too little or too much.