Plexi, out in the country,Fryette PS2

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by 1980Chris, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Kookaburra

Kookaburra Member

Great rig. I played an Ibanez Destroyer way back in the day, great stuff!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. 1980Chris

1980Chris Member

Hello again,well I ordered a volume pedal from Saturnworks and will have it next week.I'll start with that and tweak or modify from there,will be getting an eq pedal also just for fun.I'm pretty much a ,if they didn't use it on stage in the 70s, I don't need it kind of person.Also looking for a real EP3.

Mitchell Pearrow and jmp45 like this.
  3. 1980Chris

1980Chris Member

People forget that The ''Brown sound"was not only the Plexi but also the Ibanez Super 70s pick up in the Destroyer.

4. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

Really nice rig Chris.. Good luck landing an EP-3, they require some regular maintenance. I have an EP-3 and a prototype TubePlex. If you find a good deal on an EP-2 jump on it. Pass on a TubePlex, not the same. You may want to consider putting a od pedal in the chain. When you cut back on the v pedal you'll probably want to compensate for what you aren't hearing at 120db ..;)

Seriously though, the Epoch is the closest I've found to an EP. Eric Johnson uses it.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  5. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

Cool Scozz.. Married wifey Nov 79.

scozz likes this.
  6. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Nice @jmp45,.....you’ve got your 40th anniversary coming up!

Congratulations buddy, that’s a great milestone,....all my best to you and the Mrs.

(Oh, oh,...I guess l’m not suppose to say “Mrs” anymore). :rolleyes:

Mitchell Pearrow and jmp45 like this.
  7. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

I know, it went so fast.. Best to you too bro!

8. Kookaburra

Kookaburra Member

I did not know that!

9. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

The brown sound was actually much more most of which many back then could not directly afford.

10. 1980Chris

1980Chris Member

I played in the dining room this evening and with amp in the living room it really sounds good.Both volumes on 6, I could even have a conversation at the same time.I have never played any amp that had dynamics like this thing.Real light touch and almost clean to heavy and melting iron in the same phrase.It's just a pain dragging cables and pedals into the other room. No doors either just open doorways and a stair case.Maybe I should just wire jacks into the wall.

Mitchell Pearrow and wntbtw like this.
  11. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Not really. Ed used many different pickups. Ceramic and alnico, Vh1 wasn’t exactly “brown”. It was very bright. Now Vh 2 ,Wacf, fair warning was brown. Imo.

12. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

13. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Pick up an attenuator and rock out! Welcome :yesway:

14. 1980Chris

1980Chris Member

Hello everybody again.Well i tried the volume pedal,not quite what I hoped it would be,sorta works if I dime the loudness knobs,so plan B. So which attenuator should I invest in?I have narrowed it down to a 8 Ohm Hot Plate, Rockcrusher,or a Fryette Powerstation. But once agian I have nowhere locally to even see them or try them out.I just want the best one for my situation.I play every day for an hour or more.and I don't want to hurt the amp. So let me have it..............

scozz likes this.
  15. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Well if an inexpensive attenuator that sounds and works great is what you’re interested in then I can highly recommend Weber attenuators.

They work and sound great, and they’re made in the USA. Depending on what the wattage is of your amp, there is a Weber attenuator for you.

Here is a link to Weber attebustiers,....

https://www.tedweber.com/gadgets/attenuators

wntbtw likes this.
  16. assaf110

assaf110 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Just press this link :)
    http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/simple-attenuators-design-and-testing.98285/
    The Weber is an excellent choice, as well.

JohnH likes this.
  17. Bogmonster

Bogmonster Active Member

Hey Chris. That's an awesome set up you have! Just going to throw my 2 cents in here.

I own a Weber Mass 200 and the Fryette Power Station. I found that the Weber didn't really work all that well with my '71 Super Lead but worked great with my DSL. The Fryette is HANDS DOWN one of (if not my best) gear purchase ever! It's an absolutely amazing piece of kit. A lot more usable attenuation than the Weber and also has a loop, the ability to mis-match cabinets and a boosting ability to make a small amp into a 50W amp. I know a few people with vintage Marshalls and swear by these. They won't use anything else. It's pricey but worth every penny and for your setup, it sounds like the perfect fit. It also has it's own tone shaping abilities which are very useful for preserving your tone. But like all attenuators, too much and it can dull the tone a bit. I never really run the volume on it below 11 o clock. 12:00 would be my preference. I usually run my Marshall between 4 and 7 on the volume. Any higher and it gets a bit too squishy for me. I like it to have that edge.

I've mentioned it here so many times I'm sure people are tired of hearing me recommend it. If you have any questions I'm more than happy to help.

18. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

assaf110 likes this.
  19. 1980Chris

1980Chris Member

Hello everyone.I would like to thank everyone who gave their 2 cents.I have a Fryette PS2 coming next week and should be really happy with it.I know having a 100w plexi in your house isn't easy.......but the sound that it makes is worth it.Also putting a 70ish T-top in the bridge of my Les Paul. May as well go all out.

wntbtw likes this.