Plexi major value ?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by guzzis3, Aug 24, 2019.

1. guzzis3

guzzis3 Member

Hi,

I'm new here. I've been poking around to try and not break any rules. I hope this is ok to post.

I would like opinions on what my major is worth. I'm not posting in forsale because I'm not sure I want to part with it yet.

I bought it in the 80's. It had already lost one of the knob caps, been retolexed in the wrong material and lost the script. The front face has a crack and the power had been replaced with an ieee socket. You have to remember back them they weren't really collectable. The tag says (as I remember) april 68. I could pop the back and check...if it matters. If I remember correctly it's a 1965 model, not the PA. Same knobs as a 1959 or 1987.

Last time I turned it on it didn't fire up. Blew a fuse. I suspect the filter caps as they haven't been done since the early 90's. It was carefully mod'd for partial self bias. I have the resistors that were in it somewhere but I can't say they were the originals.

So it needs a lot of work.

I am in Australia but if I know what a sensible price is for them overseas I can probably take a guess at what I'd get locally.

Thank you for reading.

2. john hammond

john hammond Well-Known Member

if the amp is non functioning, its not worth much anywhere.
    I'd be taking that to get filters, and then listing as a functioning amp.
    I'd suggest in Australia you'd get whatever they get in USA or U.k, so just average out a price based on what you see them sell for on reverb, ebay etc.
    Remember in Australia they pay import fees and obviously shipping from anywhere else, so a ' normally' priced one minus these costs would be appealing to anyone that is after this sort of thing.

3. Drinkingdeath01

Drinkingdeath01 Well-Known Member

Pics please.

4. guzzis3

guzzis3 Member

Gee that's a shock. Well if it's not worth much I won't bother selling it. I don't have any use for it anymore but I've had it so long it has sentimental value.

I could fix it easily enough but I wouldn't put it back stock. 47 mic in the power supply, self bias and some el34's make them a lot ore interesting. More like the superleads that got the big trannys. Majors only really sing if you chain the preamp imo...

Anyway thank you for the reply.

5. john hammond

my pleasure.
    think about it, if it doesn't run, the buyer will probably think the worst re blown transfomers, it's basically a ' pot luck' type of sale.
    you have to price accordingly.
    I saw a basketcase 68 plexi? sell in the U.K for about 1300 usd from memory not that long ago, peanuts. it was all there though ( all the important bits) just no info. And it was in pieces.

6. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

You are not breaking any rules.
    I break the rules around here, leave it to me.:lol:
    Welcome to the forum Guzzi ! :cheers: Howz the weather in Oz?

7. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Get it working. The investment required to do that will pay off well when you sell it. That's my opinion. If, just to throw some numbers out, it costs you 250 to get it working and you sell it for 1500 then that was well worth doing, wouldn't you say? And believe me, somebody wants it. It'd be a shame to deny that person the chance to buy it from you.

8. guzzis3

guzzis3 Member

So you think it might be worth $1500 US if it was working ?

I'll think about it. I'm on my second major cancer atm and (hopefully) have some operations coming up. Once that's done maybe I'll pull it to bits and see why it popped a fuse last time I turned it on. Unfortunately time and energy are precious atm so I have to prioritise anything that requires much of anything.

I would think only collectors would bother with these nowadays ? You wouldn't actually use a 50 yo amp would you ? and they were never that great stock and new anyway. I'm quite fond of the old piece of ... but only for the memories.

Anyway thank you for the comments. I've got a couple of american std strats (left hand) to get rid of, so they will get sold off first.

9. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

I think people are listing Majors for 3k USD and up these days .....Not that they're getting that much . I doubt I'd pay that much for a heavy ass amp that I don't use in a practical situation much.......But I DO use it

10. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

f
    first of all, I hope you get better soon.

now, about the amp. if you can put it together it will be a hell easier to sell it. As mentioned before a working amp might have issues, but if you're selling it not working people will assume the worst case scenario and will rip you off.

I think you can get more than 1.5k if it's working.

11. troyvod

troyvod New Member

I've sent you a message. I could be interested, depending where in Australia you are. cheers

12. guzzis3

guzzis3 Member

I'm still recovering from tuesday's procedure. I did see it today but didn't have the energy to pull it apart and photograph it.

I am on the outskirts of brisbane.

13. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

The prices vary. I’ve seen clean ones listed for $2500 and beat up ones for $5000 USD. But what do people really get? If you really want to sell it & not just list it and it’s in good shape I think $2-3K usd is reasonable. If it does not work a lot less.

AlvisX likes this.
  14. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

I got my '68 Major PA at a Guitar Center ,maybe 7 yrs ago 1600 USD. Had a goofy ,squealing one wire thing going on ,which I straightened out to something with some actual tone
    I thought that was a kinda high price ....but now almost seems like a deal

Deep Purple fan likes this.
  15. Drinkingdeath01

Drinkingdeath01 Well-Known Member

First off and most importantly we all wish you a speedy recovery with your health. Being that there are few classic Marshalls down under I agree with the previous posts about getting it up and running. Everyone would think the worst with it not being operational.
    Godspeed to you and your family.

john hammond likes this.
  16. john hammond

- these had transformer issues with bad insulation, many replaced under warranty...highly advise get it running to avoid people thinking you have bad transformer.