Playing Marshalls & Dealing With Neighbors.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by charveldan, May 18, 2018.

1. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member

Tell them to fuck off like you do everyone here..;)

2. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    lol .... trying to work it out.

We shook hands at the end but if our Wives hadn't been there was a good chance it would've gotten Physical.

Seems he has issues and lacks Maturity, my playing is but a symptom of his deeper issues.

3. AMPPILOT

AMPPILOT Active Member

when you buy your next home , keep the music thing in mind .

Basements , underground are great . But as teens n40 years ago , practicing on the back porch got some loudness compliants from DBag jerk offs .

4. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

I live in a townhouse and feel your pain…:erk:
    A couple of years ago I was just trying to make sure I had everything hooked up properly. Soon, very soon I get a knock at the door. It was the local police.
    Really had it turned down low, but it was after 10pm. So frustrating. I need to move. Marshalls are not designed to be played on .005.

5. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Other than lawnmowers, it's pretty infuriating to hear your neighbor's anything at anytime. He could also been home from the war and wanting some peace and quiet. Get a W/D/W setup (or at least stereo) and you won't need the massive volume to sound amazing. I'll take TV volume W/D/W over a cranked single 4x12 anyday.

6. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

I’m so fortunate. My neighbor across the street has a jam room with drums, pa, 2 Marshall half stacks, etc and I can hear them from time to time. Neighbor on the right is cool, as long as it isn’t late they don’t mind. Never see the neighbor on the left.

My wife came home one day and said that she could clearly hear my playing out at the mailbox but, that was the YJM really cranking. The Kemper is good loud but it’s also good quiet so I can choose. If I’m home alone I’ll let it thump the cabinet but if I need to be quiet I can do that too.

7. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

This ex-military guy can stuff his emotional issues somewhere else. He wasn't drafted, he VOLUNTEERED.
    The side effects of his involvement with world domination by a third party in the Middle East shouldn't be Charvevdans problem. No sympathy whatsoever for their after war issues.

8. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Our resident USA hater has spoken! The only guy who feels pure joy on Memorial Day...

9. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

I would go by the ‘reasonable man’ method. You both have to be reasonable. It is certainly reasonable to play your music at respectable hours loud enough to enjoy good old rock n roll. That is inside your detached house with the windows closed. People live, make noise, etc so as long as it’s within reason at a reasonable time I would not stop.

If you play loud enough where you can be heard down the street then you should reevaluate what you are doing. If he can hear you inside his house that’s a problem. We have to be realistic. Nobody wants to hear a guy jamming inside their private space. If he can hear you outside his house but not inside your problem is less. Looking at your picture you have a powerful rig. You also appear to be jamming in a small space with windows so you have limited sound protection.

A couple things you can do is point Your amp away from your neighbors house. Complete opposite direct. You can also get some real heavy curtains to cover the window. I spend a lot of time on business trips in hotels and you will be suprised how much noise thick curtains block. You can go 2x12 vice 4x12. I’ve got both and with same settings a 2x12 is noticeably less loud than a 4x12. You can also use an attenuator just enough to take the hair off. You must be doing something to protect your hearing. Most of this will have a small effect individually but in total may cut down the sound enough to satisfy the guy.

rick16v and Jethro Rocker like this.
  10. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

My neighbor's let me loose from 9a.m. To 9pm. I don't ever push it. Cause they let me crank. I'm 99.9% in the power section most of the time cause they spoil me.

MarshallDog likes this.
  11. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Get some foam like mattress foam and cover the wall between you and his house. See if it knocks down the volume enough.

If he still complains, show him that you are trying. Rinse and repeat...

Geeze likes this.
  12. Marshallhead

Marshallhead Well-Known Member

I can't believe I'm saying this, because I played guitar in the house loudly for years, but I suppose we all get wiser eventually...

But, for me, if I'm playing the guitar in the house, it's for one of three objectives:
    - fun. I don't need the amp to be blazing for that purpose, in fact I usually just plink away unplugged. If I want sound, i usually use Line6 Gearbox and backing tracks via my pc and stereo amp, rather than a real amp/cab.
    - working something out that I'm going to play live. Again, it doesn't have to be loud and the pc will do.
    - working on a guitar, amp, pedal setup etc. This is probably the only time I may have to give it some volume, and if I do it'll be in short bursts. No need to play a full set if I'm just checking connectivity, noise floor, etc.

Noodling away through a full on amp setup is something I rarely do, or need to do. Only once had a run in with a neighbour, when I tested a 100w on 10, for about 20 minutes one Saturday lunchtime. I just told her I do that maybe once/twice a year to test the gear, it wasn't an antisocial time and suggested she live with it - which she was fine with.

Although my cat later got shut in her outhouse for a couple of hours, and when we realised where he was, and she let him out, I whispered to him "hope you peed all over the place in there!"

Hudman_1 likes this.
  13. MemphisMarshallMan

MemphisMarshallMan Active Member

Check your zoning laws. If you are in a mixed commercial/residential area you can go get a business license (typically $25-50) and make musical noise a part of your "business". I have played with several bands that have taken this route for their rehearsal rooms and it works very well.
    When the police show up you show them your business license and they will say "thank you" and leave.
    That being said, I really try to get along with neighbors unless they are real douchebags.
    I dont mind sound-proofing a room for jamming.
    It only takes a couple of days work and the big advantage other than less noise complaints is that I'm not letting our local criminals know there is something worth stealing in my home.

Dmann and Geeze like this.
  14. mtsv

mtsv Member

Well guys, 4x12s have not been built to be played at home but to be heard in a band in the past. So unless your neighbours are real a**holes, there is no need to be involved in disturbing your surroundings IMO. Today there are lots of means of soundproofing by using special materials, isolation boxes, attenuators and so on.

15. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

First the smartass -

Damn dude, you must suck at guitar or your music selection are all bands he hates... Learn some polka + hill billy music to let him know how much closer to Hell you can take him. Open the windows for these performances.

Or hook him up with a young bimbo so his wife divorces him and he moves away...

Offer to teach his wife how to play death metal...

Less ass -

Acoustic foam plugs for the windows and some on the walls to see if you can stop the house from being a passive radiator for the outside world. You may actually sound better in your space with less sound reflection.

Russ

Dmann, frankyfal and nevermind like this.
  16. nevermind

nevermind Active Member

Get some wood, build frames add in 2" to 4" Roxul insulation.

https://www.acoustimac.com/roxul-rb6-2in

Cover with fabric of your choice and you have your own acoustic/bass sound traps.

I plan to build a 4'x6' panel and put in 2" off the wall in back of my speaker cabinets. After that, I'll probably build a couple more. One to block a big window next to the speaker cabinets and one more free-standing piece to dampen sound traveling down a hallway directly across from the cabinets.

17. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

I have a neighbor who complains a lot. I did remind her that we are not in a cul-de-sac, nor a member of a HOA...

18. frankyfal

frankyfal Well-Known Member

I recently needed to break in a V 30. I looped chords and chunky percussive riffs and turned the volume up on a spare SS amp while blanketing the speaker cab for 16 hours. Shit was still loud in the room. I went outside and listened for the volume level from the window and the street. My neighbor is about 25 feet away. You could barely hear it, but it was there. Granted without the blanket the upper frequencies would carry further, but only a real douchebag neighbor would complain about hearing it and it would be more about the repetitive looper content then the volume.

Dmann likes this.
  19. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

Interesting ....

20. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

I do commercial carpet maintenance and part of that is working nights in high-rise buildings and dealing with security guards. Few years back this one security guard who was discharged from the military treated it like he was still in the military and patrolling while he was doing his rounds it was actually pretty crazy he dressed in the full SWAT uniform handcuffs leather gloves the whole nine yards keep in mind his job is to observe and report but he thought he was there to keep the peace. Needless to say he didn't last long just kind of funny the whole ex-military thing kind of reminded me of this.