People who don't remove their Craigslist listings after selling their items should be banned

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by soundboy57, Jun 16, 2019.

1. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

Craigslist is a waste of time anymore.

hazmat7719, tce63 and ricksconnected like this.
  2. CoyotesGator

CoyotesGator Well-Known Member

The Institute for the Very, Very, Very Nervous
    :lol:

What happened?

I would almost give away my amps before I played the craigslist game.

Certainly can’t have weirdo musicians I don’t know coming to the house and there is no way I am going to their residence without a full crew in the KaBurbon.

GIBSON67, hazmat7719 and tce63 like this.
  3. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

Douchecopter's that place 10 ads in a row for piano moving should be banned.
    I think it would be great if they'd ad different headings under "musical instruments" so I don't have to look at audiophile equipment, violas, pianos, and so forth.
    There's still a deal or two to be had, but yeah the BS factor is so high it's idiotic.

ricksconnected likes this.
  4. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

I use CL all the time, check it every AM over coffee. Had a guy ‘rent’ an amp from me on eBay a while back and vowed never to sell sight unseen or shipping again. Cash money (or trade) and the deal is done after the handshake. Never had an issue with meeting up with people. Main issue with face to face is dealing with the lonely guys who want to talk your ear off.

Just this past month:

Gibson Les Paul Custom Lite
    Hi-Tone Custom JP head
    Mesa TC50 head
    JHS Panther delay

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

"I'll trade you a blown Peavey Bandit; a signed Dimebag Darrell pick and some cash for your Midnight Blue '06 Rickenbacker 360".

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....................let me think about that.

When I said, "no thanks", the guy got pissed and persisted.

CL is full of goof balls and bottom feeders.....but hey, it's free.

Wooferhead1 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  6. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

Yeah craigslist sucks any more.

4-5 years ago i use to check it more often now its just a joke.

The past few years ive bought more from guitar center then craigslist

7. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I recently Had a 87 2205 on c.l. which I eventually traded for a very nice guitar, but the 3 weeks leading up to it was pretty bad.
    Ridiculous trade offers like a mig welder, a 12 gauge shotgun, a meat slicer, a disassembled boat motor,..lol.. none worth $300..for a $1000 amp. Drove me nuts..not to mention the gear offers like indo squires, an epi 339 with a broken neck, a Peavey classsic amp..again none worth $300.

Then there's the never ending texting asking stupid questions like " will this get a Dan Donnergan tone" ahh..idk..what that even is...

But then you do meet some good people as well, and I have actually ran across old friends I haven't seen in decades buying and selling on c.l.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    Not really cuz the ads roll over after a few hours.
    Besides how hard is it to send an email inquiry ?

tallcoolone and tce63 like this.
  9. fifteenohms

fifteenohms Well-Known Member

In LA that would be Tito and his whole tribe work with him.

He’s the best and fastest mover but I don’t like the spam either.

You can refine your search on the left side Options to “bundle duplicates” try it.

10. charveldan

Ive had good luck the last 14 years.
    Bought & sold alot of stuff.

11. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I agree, I also hate the guy who has 27 bugles & has to do individual listings for each & every one...

I like the ones where they have something that's demolished, like a big screen TV w/ a fully busted out screen & are selling it for a couple hundred bucks & say, "but it's probably an easy fix"...

If it's an easy fix, fix it...

I did have a guy, selling a Bugera SVT copy, that I was interested in. We met at GC, & plugged it in & poof, something failed & it died. The price instantly went from $400 to $200, which might have been fair, but, I was thinking of buying it, for a standby, not a project. I have enough projects...

I like the "bundle" tip, must be fairly new...

charveldan and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

I appreciate the ads that state “if this ad is still here the item is still available. Don’t send me an email to ask”. Those people get it.

I’ve bought and sold on all the online tools and with all those you’re going to run into the crazy, low ball, I’ll give you my junk offers. I look at it as part of doing business online and it’s easy to send a “no thanks.” Growing up we didn’t have this and to sell something you out an add in the paper or Trading Times, etc. Online is much better - even with the B.S.

What drives me nuts are the guys that don’t reply at all when you make an offer or ask a question. When I was looking at a Strat, I saw one I liked and would have likely bought it but it was like pulling teeth just to see it. Finally I emailed the guy saying I’m out as you apparently don’t want to sell this guitar.

Then I made an offer on a Strat that was online for about 6 months. The guy responded that he decided his price was too low and needed to raise it. I said your guitar has been up for sale for 6 months and your strategy is to raise the price when you get an offer? No thanks.

13. Dogs of Doom

except, those people also leave ads up for years. then you email them & they never respond, as if it's an imposition...

14. Im247frogs

There's a guy with the exact 62 Blonde Bassman i'm looking for IN Brooklyn, so he wouldn't have to ship it, won't send a gut shot or even answer a message, thing has been on Reverb for a year. LATER DUDE.

KraftyBob likes this.
  15. Im247frogs

"If you're reading this, you know what this is"... WTF does that even mean???
    Who invented this genius phrase? Every time I see it, I want to smack someone. They should put it in medical and law school books at the end of the first paragraph. Hell, 1st grade spelling and math books.

16. charveldan

I don't deal with people who give a phone number & say "text only" or "will not respond to emails".
    I get the people on the phone and within 30 seconds can tell if they're legit or a scam.
    If im potentially going to give someone hundreds of dollars and they wont call me or answer the phone forget it.

17. Im247frogs

I would like very much to purchase your "item", Mr Charveldan.

18. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Thing is, it is a different market and you need to accept that. You prob aren’t going to get ‘gut shots’, and you need to be prepared to eventually get a lemon.

Where else, though—can you get the opportunity to dump gear you don’t use or like in a trade for something you do? Try and offer up your mint DRRI + cash at a GC for, say a used $800 EVHIII head. They will give you best case—MAYBE $350 towards your purchase and you end up $450 out of pocket. Find the right seller on CL and it might cost you $200 and maybe nothing at all.

Personally, I find it a fun and relaxing way to grab gear I otherwise wouldn’t have checked out. It’s pretty damn easy to deal with unreasonable offers—not sure why that would really bother someone?

Robus, KraftyBob and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  19. Dogs of Doom

also, FB marketplace...

20. fifteenohms

fifteenohms Well-Known Member

Because CL is so unmanageably large they had to create this button, and the feature is a recent one.

What I dislike most is when you select show: Private Party Only but then you see Dealer ads posting in Private. Or: selecting Low ads to High order, not only do you see Dealers selling $7000 trucks w/a $1 price (to cheat search results to the top) there’s like you say, a million of em.

And you can’t flag them all because there’s 200 of em - look for 20” rims you’ll see Spam Mountain real quick

ricksconnected and Dogs of Doom like this.