Pedalboard noob questions

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Rickrevs, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Rickrevs

Rickrevs Active Member

Hi all....just started building a pedal board with mostly EHX pedals....those rubber feet...do you cut them off ? or fix an upstand to the board so the velcro hits the base of the pedals not the feet..also i see plenty of cheap power supplies...but also some really expensive ones...any recomendations that dont cost more than the pedals themselves..

SkyMonkey likes this.
  2. Bogmonster

Bogmonster Active Member

Generally I would just take them off if they're very awkward or getting in the way. They're usually just stick on so should be easy to remove.

There's loads of power supplies out there for all budgets. An isolated supply would be my recommendation as it will keep your rig silent. Depending on your budget, there's lots of options. But you won't go wrong with a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus. Built like a tank and not too expensive. Very versatile too. I used them for years with no issues. I recently upgraded to the Strymon units and they are absolutely fantastic too. Great for higher draw pedals and flexible as well.

It depends on what you're after and how big your board is.

3. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

If you warm them up with a hairdryer they may just peel off. Then you could save them for if you want to re-sell.

I have just built my first pedalboard and am still using one power supply (RockBoard Power Ace-1700mA) with an 8-way daisy chain.
    For my needs this is still a workable solution, very little hum that I can hear.
    For the future I have left room under the board for a Truetone 1-Spot CS6, that would still require 2 outlets to be split.
    But it's the only isolated PSU that will fit and supply 500mA to an output for my ZOOM MS-70CDR.
    Look at the reviews on something like Amazon to get a better picture of how reliable a PSU is.

Rickrevs likes this.
  4. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

For a PS that does not cost more than your pedals; just make sure that there are enough miliamps to run them efficiently. You also have to decide if you need sag or voltage doubling features.

Rickrevs likes this.
  5. Wenander

Wenander Active Member

Voodoo labs like he says... Awesome well spent money...

lespaul339 and Rickrevs like this.
  6. Jason Fieldhouseespk

Jason Fieldhouseespk Well-Known Member

Look at Thomann power supplys, :naughty:
    If you know, you know! ;-)

Rickrevs likes this.
  7. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member