Pedal That Turned Your Marshall From Meh To Schwing

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Buzzard, Jul 10, 2017.

1. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

My favourite stock od pedal is a Boss OD-3, run into a dirty-clean setting on my dsl401 or VM2266C. It has a thickness and depth which I much prefer to a stock SD-1. Its clearer than my Bad Monkey and more natural than my OD1x

2. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

Straight in with a Marshall Powerbrake. Best sound ever.
    But then I usually prefer pre-master volume amps. Not disrespecting anyone's choices, but after buying about every "Marshall" sounding pedal on the market, I've decided it doesn't exist.

I do use pedals a bit for playing covers but never for dirt. I get all the clean I need with the guitar volume control. For me the key was getting used to using LESS GAIN. Still more than enough drive from an amp turned up to 6, yet it cleans up with a flick of a guitar pot.

matttornado, Jakeboy and SG~GUY like this.
  3. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

For me the Marvel Ramble FX( a Plexi pedal ) into the DSL40C is like WHOA WTF !!!
    Transformative it is.
    BP

4. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

Not really hyping up or giving a meh to whoa experience, but just thought I would share something I experienced for the first time last night.

:naughty:

I just threw together another project amp last week. It is a lower wattage Marshall influenced in the preamp topology, but with a cathodyne phase inverter, and with my own little tweaks thrown in there basically on the fly experimenting for tonal options. The amp has very old filter caps that I was planning on replacing here after the amp was somewhat finished. I had to decide what caps and values I wanted anyway and needed to place an order for them basically anyway.

So last night I was playing the amp at a low volume here at the house having fun and decided to run some Dirt pedals through the front end. I pulled out my old trusty Marshall Bluesbreaker MKI, my On Floor Audio (shameless plug for our own Mike and his great hand built pedals here) Tube Boost OD, the Fulltone OCD V1.7 that I just got a few months ago and still have not used much, Jeckyll and Hyde pedal and my Boss FZ-5 pedal.

I ran the BB MKI, Tube Boost OD, OCD in that order first. They each had their own slightly different voicings. The Tube Boost OD actually sounded the best in my build as my amp has a somewhat 2204 voicing but with a much thicker texture. Think of a somewhat mixture of Marshall 2204 meets Mesa MKI type sound. Much more low end girth with more pronounced lower mids.

So then I plugged in the Boss Fuzz pedal and was digging on the very phat singing sustain I was getting. Then I heard a POP, and then a hissing sizzling sound as my tone went to crap. I was tripping thinking I let the smoke out of something or worse and then as I was reaching to shut off the power switch I was also wondering why my fuse did not blow. to cut this short, I blew my filter cap to the first preamp B+ node. Never did plug in the Jeckyll and Hyde pedal.

Anyone else here had any issues with Fuzz pedals causing issues on their amps? I thought I read something about Fuzz pedal issues here awhile back . . . .

Trapland, SG~GUY and HOT TUBES 70 like this.
  5. Barfly

Barfly Well-Known Member

I'm with JimiRules. My JCM 800 isn't meh on it's own but... I love my Soldano GTO into my JCM 800. What a brutal, rugged bastard.

HOT TUBES 70 likes this.
  6. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-hotter pup-

-I like the clean boost you get from something never really intended to be a boost, like an analog delay, chorus or maybe the best effect to add a hotter signal with huge tone shaping, an EQ..

El Gringo likes this.
  7. Bonzo

Bonzo New Member

MXR ZW-44 into my JCM 800 2203

8. El Gringo

El Gringo Active Member

Just like my old Electro Harmonix (Analog) Memory Man Delay used to do when I was using it a lifetime ago .

matttornado and SG~GUY like this.
  9. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Boss Parametric Equalizer PQ-4 (discontinued).

For any amps (including Marshalls) that needed just a little fine tuning, this was my "go-to" pedal. The tiniest changes in parameters made a huge difference and the "level: control made for one of the best volume boost I've ever heard. Solid state amps sounded warmer and looser, 2X12 combos sounded thicker/fuller, heads with 4X12 cabs got a little more depth, especially for chords. Whether for clean or dirty/overdrive/distorted tones, this little pedal made a difference. Presently, it isn't necessary to use mine, but I keep it around because I know this is a banging little pedal.

My other favorite parametric equalizer is the Empress ParaEq; it's still in production and a bit expensive, but very much a difference maker like the PQ-4.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Marshall Stack, jimmyjames and SG~GUY like this.
  10. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

I just put my Maxon/Ibanez PQ9 back in the chain :yesway:

MonstersOfTheMidway and SG~GUY like this.
  11. Ade2064

Ade2064 Member

Sd1 for me, but I would like to try a SoloDallas

12. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

@RickyLee I'm almost certain I've read that the squared waveform of some fuzz pedals can overheat speaker voicecoils. Anecdotally, I just acquired a basketweave cabinet who's previous owner claimed he lost the original Greenbacks to a Big Muff.

I've heard many people claim boosting the input stresses an amp. I'm not sure I buy that on a well designed amp, but I think the fuzz square wave thing could have some merit.

RickyLee likes this.
  13. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

Yeah, that is good info you posted. And that does jog my memory now.

I should update my situation on the blown filter cap. When I went in and changed that cap out, I noticed there was a very high B+ going to that node. I expected a slightly higher B+ already before that happened due to me not having all the tubes installed that this amp normally runs, the main two missing being two power tubes. But what I encountered was 500VDC going into a 350V rated Mallory cap from 1966 LOL. That cap held up for a good 2 to 3 hours of off and on previous abuse over a few days at that voltage until it finally threw in the towel when I hit the amp with that fuzz pedal.

So I need to go in there and change a few B+ dropping resistors as well.

14. Shae201

Shae201 Active Member

My two favorite ODs right now for my jcm800 are the Walrus Voyager and Mayflower.

15. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

16. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-I think that was jim-(SCUMBACK SPEAKER)-who said that a FUZZ was hard on speakers-

17. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

I guess that must be why there are disclaimers on some speaker sites which state that some speakers will catch fire !!

18. TarNhaK

TarNhaK Member

Fulltone OCD V1.7 best overdrive ever made

19. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

best piece of advise...... don't buy "meh" amps.

20. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

pic?