Ozzy Review

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Dogs of Doom, Jun 17, 2019.

1. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.

Never knew Ray shot Heroin til after he died. Same with Belushi.

2. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

Agreed. Tom's voice is in good shape.

3. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

Fuckin' A. Same here...always had zero interest in seeing bands from my youth beyond their prime. I understand why they do it, good for them, especially if they truly still love touring and make money, etc, but heh, hard pass for me. I personally wanna remember seeing them while they were actually relevant and breaking ground, at their very best. I saw Kansas about 10 years ago and other than Steve Walsh' keyboard playing (incred) it was a pretty rough experience. That was the last time I bothered checking out "vintage" fav bands.

I hear my friends say things like "yeah man, we saw Def Leopard in concert, it was great!!"
    "Really, back in '83? I remember that tour, saw 'em too, it was amazing!"
    "Well no, last year at the civic center."
    "Oh....well...yeah."

I get why folks go see the shows, not judging, you get the whole fun night out and of course the nostalgia factor, especially if your wife demands to go see Journey again because all the other couples are going, but again, it's just camouflaging my memories from when they made their real mark and I'd rather leave them as is.

4. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

If Def Leppard is an example of a band in their sunset that you won’t see all I have to say is thank god most people don’t think like you. Rock would be truly dead. Leppard is rock solid live. Joe can still sing his parts and the guitar work by Campbell and Collin is on fire. The stage show and set list were great,I’m guessing 12,000 people had a blat at the show I attended. I saw the Stones on Tuesday. Fantastic.

To your point, there are bands I avoid such as a Kiss, Whitesnake, Foreigner. Some acts are a rip off. But there are plenty of bands from the 70s and 80s that can still bring it.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So true about Def Leopard.

They play like pros and sound like pros.

Add to the list to avoid:

Beach Boys
    Chris Isaak
    Poison.............any member solo act
    Poco............if Rusty Young is there, then he's good........I saw them when they had to stop a song and Paul Cotton had to tune his guitar. Embarassing.

6. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

I get that (@ Deep Purple), and that's cool, totally great if people enjoy it and still feel the old bands are bringing it on the same level they did in their heyday, people wouldn't buy tickets if it was horrid, that's for sure - I'm positive I didn't say they can't play any more and folks are wasting their time or money going, merely said that imo, and probably many others, the bands clearly don't sound like they did at their peak, and I'd prefer to remember those shows when given a choice over the ones being put on today, nothing more.

Speaking of Whitesnake, I saw them back in 2009, right around the time I saw the Kansas show I mentioned in fact, and Coverdale was gasping for air and winded, didn't even finish many verses, much less belt out a labored and flat (pitch) chorus, hardly a performance he'd like new fans of his live act to remember him by. Doug and Reb on the other hand, well, to your point - brought it big time, so I have to meet you half way I guess, it can be worth the price of admission sometimes! :cheers:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  7. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I've seen Deep Purple 3 maybe 4 times.

It's like a master Jedi saying this is how it's done.

Not only do they put on a clinic but they still are an iconic band that is very influential and have a rich history.

I've always thought that age is not a barometer of talent.

Young or old, Deep Purple is perpetual.

Deep Purple have a standard of excellence in all eras.

Deep Purple fan likes this.
  8. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

Vincent Price, that is great video. That is a sexy nun! If they were all like that Catholic schools would be hard (no pun intended) to get in to. Trivia - Purple somehow became buds with Vincent price in 70s. Weird party scene is my guess.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  9. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

10. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

I never saw Ozzy Osbourne live.

However I did see Sabbath on "The End" tour here in Calgary 5 years ago. I had 10th row floor seats and I recorded some of it. Ozzy wasn't struggling at all and while it wasn't studio replicated perfect I thoroughly enjoyed the living fuck out of it and had the time of my life. In fact he was jumping around and really energetic!

The best part was it was loud enough to feel it yet still enjoy without earplugs and still talk to your buddies, and it was mixed perfectly.

Also they guaranteed didn't use any backing tracks or lip syncs as Toni made a few mistakes and Geezer was just improvising left right and center all night and you could hear everything perfectly.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.