Ozzy Review

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Dogs of Doom, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I belong to a few music exchange groups, where people tape concerts & we share recordings, etc.

Some guy recorded Ozzy & a buddy of his made it ready to share. Here's the text that he posted w/ this:

Ozzy Osbourne
    St. Joseph's Health Amphitheater at Lakeview
    Syracuse, NY
    September 1, 2018

24 bit version

Taper: ******* (names redacted)
    Gear: AT831s > Tascam DR-08
    Mastered by ******** (redacted)
    Lineage: DR-08 (recording to 24/96.wav) > USB > Adobe Audition 1.5 (EQ, normalization, splits & fades) > Xrecode II (flac 8)

I really don't understand why people pay to see Ozzy. I like Ozzy. Always have. But I accept that his last shred of talent left him about 25 years ago and he has been coasting on past achievements ever since. The last time he sounded halfway decent was on the No More Tears tour. Since then he's been, well, pathetic. No other word for it. I almost feel sorry for him being so awful in front of people, but he's getting paid (somehow), so I never get to that point. I see the band has adapted to Ozzy's shrinking vocal range by tuning down. Hey guys. If you tune much lower Zakk is going to have to use bass strings, and people are gonna start shitting themselves (the brown note is 4hz).

Go ahead and tarnish your legacy more, Ozzy, like you've done since starting that silly reality show that showed the world you weren't really the prince of darkness, but rather a rather dumb, bumbling, confused old man who can barely speak coherently anymore. Then you ruined Black Sabbath for a couple of years with that final tour when they could have gone out on top with Dio (who, incidentally, could sing like a motherfucker til the day he died). The man is a walking poster child for not doing drugs (This is you [pic of you]. This is you on drugs [pic of Ozzy]. Any questions?)

Anyway, if you like to hear Ozzy sing songs in a different key (Key? What's a key?) than the band, forget the words to Suicide Solution, a song he's played at every single show since his solo career began 38 years ago, and otherwise make a fool of himself in public (an Osbourne specialty) then this show is for you.

Props to him for playing Shot in the Dark, the song that put 2 albums out of print so they wouldn't have to pay Phil Soussan royalites.

01 Intro film
    02 O Fortuna & banter
    03 Bark at the Moon
    04 Mr. Crowley
    05 I Don't Know
    06 Fairies Wear Boots
    07 Suicide Solution
    08 No More Tears
    09 Road to Nowhere
    10 War Pigs
    11 Miracle Man / Crazy Babies / Desire / Perry Mason
    12 drum solo
    13 I Don't Want to Change the World
    14 Shot in the Dark
    15 Crazy Train

16 Mama, I'm Coming Home
    17 Paranoid

lol, epic review... sounds about right. I listened to the sample of the show, & yep...

Sample: Bark At the Moon

:facepalm:

Attached Files:

2. Drinkingdeath01

Drinkingdeath01 Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree with you more. I love Ozzy's early stuff but over the years he's become a caricature of himself. His voice after NRFTW just became so nasally I can't listen to it anymore. Tom Araya is similar too. Once he started screaming and jumping on the Slipknot wagon I couldn't do that either. He sounds just like Sam Kinison. Part of me says yes, we're all getting older but like you mentioned Dio killed it until he passed. Bruce Dickinson, Brian Johnson and a few others still sound great but poor Ozzy, that ship has sailed.

3. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Hey easy with that old man crap , lol Not everyone goes gracefully !

4. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

It smells brown already ! Don't let Sharon see this she will shut down the internet > Lmao
    :lalala:

5. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    He tunes 2 whole steps down now & still can't hit the notes.

He's been washed up for at least 2 decades even with the auto-tune vocals.

He did pay his dues all those hot summers across the country doing Ozz-fests.
    Seems Sharon is pimping him out on stage til nobody buys tickets anymore.
    Zakk is kinda past his prime too but can still have a good night of squealies here & there.

ibmorjamn likes this.
  6. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Ah, yeah right Ozzy! I listened to the sample clip of Bark at The Moon and I agree, its not that good and his pitch/key is all over the place.

I guess it goes to show, once you make it big, people will still pay regardless..ugh!

Syracuse NY, thats only 2 hours from me.

7. charveldan

This is the product for 2019.
    Too bad fans couldn't see him 30 years ago.

8. fifteenohms

fifteenohms Well-Known Member

I wonder how
    There are photos of the Randy Rhodes supposed plane crash in Florida showing the airframe position essentially in an as-parked area in the hanger I find quite amazing, given a second look.

Rudy Sarzo would know the truth if Randy and Rachel were incinerated in a parked airframe, in a hangar, that supposedly spun from clipping a tour bus.

What’s holding Sarzo back if Ozzy or Sharon croaks?

9. Dogs of Doom

I didn't write it, but, I agreed w/ it...

It's a sad but true commentary. There was an old punk band that, used to sing "let's get _____ off the stage" They sang about everybody in the '70s. It was a stupid/silly song, but, I do think there comes a time... (yes, they did mention Ozzy, in the song)

10. Cthulhu

Cthulhu Well-Known Member

BLASPHEMER! Ban this man, BAN HIM NOW!!!

11. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I can't afford myself to retire.

Same goes for Ozzy.

12. Dogs of Doom

You mean Sharon can't afford for him to retire...

Well, she can, but, she wants every penny.

Söulcaster and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. Phony iommi

Phony iommi Well-Known Member

It’s unfortunate to see him going out like this, I truly think the man is bored stiff now that he’s sober and will tour until he croaks.
    To me there are two different versions of Ozzy. There’s the peace and love hippy front man from sabbath. And then there’s the bat eating ant snorter solo Ozzy.
    I saw Sabbath on “the end” tour and was pleasantly surprised how well Ozzy was on pitch, it was an awesome show. I will say the set list was full of a lot of C# tunings. We knew going into the show that any material from sabotage and sabbath bloody sabbath was way out of reach for Ozzy and they didn’t touch any of that material. This clip is from that tour and I think it’s freaking awesome. (Or maybe it’s just the beast with the SG pummeling me into submission with guitar nirvana.)

14. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Dude is 70 years old, and if he's still packing arenas/having fun, why hang it up? I say good for him!

15. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

16. fifteenohms

fifteenohms Well-Known Member

I’m not ok w John Osbourne’s snuffing out the life of the most creative man in metal, Randy. ALL rock music really.

What’s Ozzy done since the first 2 albums that were anything close to the Blizzard of Oz band’s creativity tell me.

17. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member

Man, okay I will say this from the start. I love Ozzy man..and I really don't care much for the negative banter uttered here. Yeah, the dude is like 70 or 71, and yes there are a *few* other artists left at that age that can really still perform, probably less then you've originally thought of....Age is a bitch and so is entropy...2nd law of thermodynamics... everything falls apart man... and you will too...

Ozzy, like many of that AMAZING generation of British rockers created an entirely new form of music, one that will endure for centuries to come... I wonder how many here can make the same contributions..especially at that level..um NONE..most likely. He's gotten old, the drugs have taken their toll, quite frankly I'm stunned the dude is still alive... But this was the culture man..and he's living proof of it...and let me reiterate *living* as the operative word. I was just listening to Sabbath's last release this past weekend... sounded good to me man...great riffs, good vocals...albeit tuned down yes, but who the hell plays in standard tuning anymore? lol

It's gonna be a sad day for me, and millions of others when he dies...which will probably come sooner then later...

Ozzy was, and is a way of life man..a culture on to his own...and as far as *caricatures* of himself... lol...who isn't after like 50 decades of life being a famous recording/touring musician? There's a great deal of irony here in this last paragraph..

Blasphemy man...blasphemy SHAME!

Rock the fuck on Ozzy as long as you can! I got your back man...

**edit...I'm really hoping in light of this current movie trend i.e. B. Rhapsody/Rocketman (excellent movie btw)..I fully expect to see one on Ozzy's life... My GOD would that be entertaining... His life was and is full of such event... My recommendation is to read 'I am Ozzy'... a great read...couldn't put it down. The first 5 chapters had me laughing my ass off! Amazing rags to riches story...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  18. charveldan

Ozzy aint the one paying for the tickets Rock contribution or not. Even the shitty seats nowdays are $100 bucks a piece.
    Live concerts [not album sales] are the number one money maker in music.
    He got kicked out of Sabbath cuz he was to drunk & high to perform.
    Living in a weekly hotel in Hollywood. Randy Rhoads resurrected Oz's career more than Ozzy & he stayed drunk & high for another 30 years.
    Lets not get sacrilegious.
    Now he's just a buffoon and should enjoy retirement before its too late.
    And nobody gets anywhere in music without the fans. Its the fans that make people famous not the other way around.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  19. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member

Actually quite a bit... Granted the first two albums featured Randy...Rhodes was a very gifted, unique talent... their rare..and this is probably one of the main reasons why those first two albums achieved what they did (as did other hired guns for that period..keyboard player..writing the opening to Mr. Crowley).. But Ozzy did some amazing stuff with Jake Lee, and of course Z. Wylde... Bark at the Moon is a great song...and probably has sold as many recordings as Blizzard...Killer of Giants, another great tune, Shot in the Dark, Perry Mason..I could go on and on...No rest for the Wicked...man I love these albums...

So yes, subjective of course, but your opinion probably isn't as universal as you may believe. Ozzy enjoyed great success after Randy's UNFORTUNATE departure...

20. Phony iommi

Phony iommi Well-Known Member

Huh? I don’t know what that post implies. I suppose you could be upset at Stevie Ray Vaughn’s pilot as well. Wasn’t his fault either.:shrug: