Overated guitarists

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Karloff, Jul 25, 2013.

1. keennay

keennay Well-Known Member

Lil' Wayne

Who the **** told him this was a good idea? :scratch:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBM1LCZKkQg[/ame]

Lyv2Ryd and 1neeto like this.
  2. sidvicious

sidvicious Active Member

yeah, cobain was never a guitar god to the guitarists of the world. his influence and appeal was elsewhere. not that he didn't make good on what he did, but he really shouldn't be considered overrated in this regard because he was never in the contest.

same for georgeT. he's never been, to my knowledge, rated as one of "those" guitar gods. he is good, though, and has some licks. he pretty much does it the hard way and can hold his own.

to short cut on the development of today's artists, effects makes things much, much easier. pedals and racks help many a player where skill once ruled.

CactusJack13 likes this.
  3. 1neeto

1neeto Well-Known Member

You win the semantics argument. Congrats! :applause:

Nirvana came in at a time when Aqua Net, eye liner, spandex, Floyd Rose equipped super strats, JCM800's and the guitar solo with the over-abundance of pinch harmonic dive bombs (in the already mentioned super strats) ruled the world. Nirvana gave the already ridiculous by then glam rock the big middle finger and showed up with plain t-shirts, beat up jeans, a Fender Mustang, and amps that ranged from Bassmans to solid state Randalls with a $50 Boss DS-1. No Marshall wall, no pedal board, just an amp and a DS-1.

Unpopular look, unpopular gear, unpopular song structuring, yet they still ruled the world in the early-mid 90's.

ollyclam likes this.
  4. Adwex

Adwex New Member

Did anyone already mention Kenny Wayne Shepherd?
    He was alot better when his name was Stevie Ray Vaughan.

SwampThing likes this.
  5. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

The importance not to be missed is that Nirvana may have singlehandedly saved us from continuing on this path of gender bended poser rock. I really fvckin hated sometimes, even though I really liked some of the music. Sure there was songs that were good, some really good, but the peer pressure was on, people wanted you to look like lipstick wearin fairy fags & play like EVH & beyond. I stood strong against it but was in constant battle with our bassist back then who was drinkin the WannaBe Kool Aid & thought Poison was the $#!t because they got the putty, & he loved dat putty man. Funny how he was willing to look like a girl to get it huh? ha ha. Oh $#!t was weird back then man.

I was actually relieved that we also had the GnR scene & style because they weren't too feminine & had some fun to play rockers that people loved. Heck, Even Aerosmith was lookin Twisted Sister at the time but Nirvana made it OK to be looking like a heterosexual man again and not a cross dressing tranny! (PC disclaimer) NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT. Well what if there is? What if I didnt happen to like looking like a fag just so a band I was in could get a shot a playing the bigger clubs? I never did give in & we did ok because we were real, we practiced & we kicked ass. I am so glad I can look back with some self respect even if I never 'made it big'.

Yep, Cobain and the boys were a blessing in many ways & I truly appreciated them raising their middle finger to the whole music scene & the clicky pretentious abomination that left me feeling excluded & an outsider. Not only did they bring on the phasing out of glammer girl rock, they did away with the perception of the necessity for an over the top, dive bomb filled assault of gymnastic fingerworks mindblowing guitar solo in every song, regardless of the song. Mandatory over the top solo was expected. Period.

Nirvana made it ok to be who you are, to be a man & look like a man. To have opinions that didn't toe the popular line and the balls to stand out & stand up for being different.

If you can hear me...Thanks Kurt. I think I appreciate you now all these years later more than I ever did when I was rockin that Teen Spirit Album for the first time and feeling that excitement that poured from the speakers. It was simple, it was magic, it was simply magic. Rock in peace.

ollyclam and 1neeto like this.
  6. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

ALL guitarists are overrated,just ask the singer.:lol:

7. Soulforger

Soulforger Active Member

Randy Rhoads, Jimi Hendrix, and Jeff Beck.

They're all good, I just don't think they are/were as good as all the hype.

8. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

<insert some famous player here> sucks! <insert some other famous player here> is god!

silly and boring thread, damn close to open trolling season. :wave:

lordquilton and yladrd61 like this.
  9. Amp360

Amp360 Well-Known Member

Hearing all this talk about transexual rockers makes me add Diamond Darrell Lance to the list.

10. 1neeto

1neeto Well-Known Member

Amen brother. :applause: :hbang:

11. Marshall Gibson

Marshall Gibson Well-Known Member

What in the hell does this even mean? :squint:

12. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

They may be overrated but every single Poison members ****ed more bitches than Cobain can ever imagine in his lifetime...:D

13. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

Damn! this thread is still going? Cool.
    Kurt Cobain was an amazing songwriter who played guitar to fit his songwriting. He didn't play guitar for the sake of writing great guitar riffs. He wrote the guitar to fit his songs instead of writing songs around guitar riffs, which is one things that made Nirvana a universally great band.

And anyone who thinks Dimebag was overrated in any capacity is a RETARD and needs to go back and listen to their first 4 albums before CFH, because Darrells solos back then were above and beyond most any of the stuff he wrote and recorded after they became a heavier metal band.

14. SwampThing

SwampThing New Member

There is entirely too much hate in this thread. It went from being "Who is overrated" to "Who I don't like listening to at this moment"... There is a distinct difference.

Everybody calm your tits.

yladrd61 likes this.
  15. sidvicious

sidvicious Active Member

i tried pointing that out, swamp. didn't stick.

and i've tried calling out those that mention hendrix, clapton, page, and beck, among others. i suggested they offer a replacement at the same time and fame of the fore-mentioned. in other words, who should've been the god in the late 60's and 70's? and why. "why isn't so&so noticed" would be a weak response. give us the gods in place of these guys, during the time they scaled olympus.

so far, no takers.

16. SwampThing

SwampThing New Member

It's all good my man but I hope I am not the only one that took notice that just about EVERY SINGLE GUITARIST has been named on this thread. Not all but quite a large few. So you know what that means? All guitarists are overrated

Or.......

Its entirely subjective.

17. 1neeto

1neeto Well-Known Member

Yep. I took offense about Kurt Cobain because there's absolutely nothing overrated about him. I can't think of a single overrated guitar player because just about every guitar player mentioned in this thread is/was great at whatever made them famous. It's no accident that Eric Clapton is who he is today, even though he's nicknamed "slow hand". Slash? He played a LP through a Marshall instead of a Jackson or Kramer, and his style and tone have proven to be timeless. Hate on Slash? Really? Calling virtuosos like Satriani, Vai, EVH, and Petrucci overrated shows nothing but envy. Really, they have a technical level of playing that most people in this forum will never achieve, and that must bruise quite a few egos.

A more interesting thread would be underrated guitarists. Because there's countless of great guitar players that totally slipped under the radar.

18. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Calling anybody over-rated is just a silly concept & asking for problems to happen in the thread that entertains the notion. I"m frankly surprised it has been kept as calm & friendly as it has remained despite the turns.

Who are we to call anybody over rated and, who really cares what we think? Really. Anybody give a real fvck about what anybody else thinks on this? ......? I didn't think so. So then, what is the point of this thread if not for us to come to the understanding that the concept of finding somebody over-rated is a subjective waste of time that matters to nobody else but the people who can see & feel such things about other musicians. Fvck dat $#!t. Everybody is everybody. Stop judging others & enjoy some music will ya?!?!

1neeto likes this.
  19. hazmat7719

hazmat7719 Well-Known Member

I am not defending Kurt Cobain, how did he become over rated? I was surprised to see him make the list. I am going to nominate Kenny Wayne Shepheard.

20. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Joe Bonamassa, John Mayer and Derek Trucks are all a lot more hat, than cattle.
    Biddlin ;>)/

marshallman116 likes this.