Overated guitarists

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Karloff, Jul 25, 2013.

1. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Active Member

Ynwie is the biggest Blackmore fanboi & he makes a pretty good living doing it.

He plays white strats with big headstocks because Blackmore played white strats with big headstocks.

He plays old 4 hole Marshalls, because Blackmore played 4 hole Marshalls.

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  2. Kaptain_Krunch

Kaptain_Krunch Well-Known Member

Satriani- soulless fretboard wankery. Incredibly talented yet leaves me bored quickly.

Vai - similar to above but also a MASSIVE poser. Seem like a real nice guy however.

Ace Frehely - just no , stop please my ears hurt.

Adrian R likes this.
  3. sidvicious

sidvicious Active Member

some of the replies seem to focus on taste rather than overall skill value within the player's genre. perhaps i misunderstood the point of the thread. its not the first, nor the last.

4. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Here just some thoughts I've been kickin around about Jimi & his playing ability & style.

What was amazing about Jimi to me was his interpretation of what a guitar was and how he approached playing it. He makes me look at the guitar differently & see it as more than just an instrument. It often seemed he was summoning the power and expressive magic from the guitar. Think of that iconic clip where his Strat is on fire and Jimi is on his knees gesturing with his hands like he is drawing the spirit held within it to come forth from the instrument & show itself.

[​IMG]

I think he got it. He understood the Voo-Doo , if you will, or the magic that could be found in a powerful amp & an expressive guitar combination such as a whammy barred Strat through a Marshall Stack. It was capable of creating mood & conjuring dreams & he owned that understanding & controlled that power every time he got in front of people to play with that Strat in his hand and that Marshall Stack cranked behind him.

Sure, Jimi did not have a dexterous fingered style or approach of say a Ritchie Blackmore, he played totally different. For instance, if you watch & study his playing, he is mostly seen not using the pinky finger (at all?) and it frankly it looks like he's playing with 2 fingers most of the time, but the sound & expressive feeling he was able to create mostly using those 2 fingers was as huge as it was innovative & as trend setting as it was idolized & copied for years to come, pinky finger be damned. Kinda reminds me of anther two finger guitarist.

[​IMG]
    Django Reinhardt

[​IMG]

Jimi was also good for using his thumb.

[​IMG]

And the middle finger would find its way to grabbing that major 3rd in a chord.

The facts seem to indicate that even Jimi wasn't happy with the whole 'jimi Hendrix' thing & was looking to play different music. His success at playing & performing had in many ways already boxed him in. That Jimi thing was what people wanted & expected to hear from him as well as it was what paid the bills, for lots of folks besides Jimi. More or less Jimi was trapped by his own success. I'm sure that given a bit more time we would have heard & seen additional layers & technique develop from him. Sadly enough, we only have what music we have due to his early death, but I can't help but feel he was far from done growing in his ability & style. Heck, with time, he may have even started to work that pinky in to his playing. Ya never know.

Personal opinion, I think it was amazing he did what he did playing the way he played. His style of playing inspired & showed a whole bunch of people that you dont have to be a dexterous virtuoso on the guitar or schooled in perfect form to make amazing guitar music & summon the power & magic that lays within it. Proving that sometimes it's more than the ability to play notes in perfect form, it's the ability to pull that magic & power out from that guitar and allow others to hear & feel it. That is what Jimi did so well. He understood that magic. I'm greatful he was able to show his mastery & share it with us. His approach has been enlightening. I only wish I had such a gift to leave with others after I'm checked out of this happy hotel myself.

A short point on the others mentioned, I do appreciate what they are good at & most have inspired me in their own way as well. Blackmore has gotten me to learn how to play long melodic passages, Via & Satch had me looking at high gain & processed tones & notes that complemented what I already was inspired to learn from EV's tap n dive style. You Know? There is something about all of them that have value. The trick is quantifying that value beyond our personal likes and dislikes. I personally have an 'everybody is good for somethin' approach and my personal likes ebb & flow with time, often coming back full circle again where I appreciate things for what there are & have to offer all over again.

While Hendrick's catalog can get old or even boring after over exposure and his playing style can seem limited, I'm not sure it would ever be possible to over value what he has contributed to us as guitar players in his approach & style playing guitar.

Rock On.

5. Crawford354

Crawford354 New Member

Not sure if this is a joke, but if not really curious why... because clapton rocks.

6. Crawford354

Crawford354 New Member

See what's funny to me is that he claims SRV is one of his biggest influences, and I love SRV but dislike Hammett, clearly two different styles. I mean to me there's no distinction between SRV's music and Krik's.

And then there's this:... Kirk Hammett: How to Play Like Stevie Ray Vaughan | Guitar World

7. jc109

jc109 Active Member

John Mayer.
    Tom Morello.

Here's how it goes………..

Guitar before Robert Johnson, guitar after Robert Johnson.

Guitar before Chuck Berry, guitar after Chuck Berry.

Guitar before Jimi Hendrix, guitar after Jimi Hendrix.

Guitar before Eddie Van Halen, guitar after Eddie Van Halen.

Everyone else has just been copying what they did.
    Filling in some blanks, improving some things, some great innovation, some stellar technique, some monumental song writing, but no game changers.

We're due for a game changer, it's been decades, can't imagine what it would be.

YJM got close to passing the torch, but his douchebaggerery and euro style were out of synch with American Rock and Roll, and too soon on the heels of EVH.

Talk smack on these guys if you must, but no amount amount notes, perfection of technique, arpeggiated syncopation, can be a game changer. It must come from the streets, the fields, from the gut, from one's experience.

Are You Experienced?

lester&marshall and fatoldsun like this.
  8. Las Palmas Norte

Las Palmas Norte Well-Known Member

...or in the case of one poster unconvinced of Blackmore's abilties or over-ratedness (is there such a word?), back then Ritchie did play according to his mood and audience responce. I don't like Blackmore for that but his skill was astounding. Listen to the LP "In Rock" on a good set of headphones one day.
    Over rated? ... I don't think so.

Cheers, Barrie.

9. sidvicious

sidvicious Active Member

someone pointed out tom morello.

i agree. he repeatedly shows up in cameo as "the hot guitar player". while he has some skills, i'm completely unimpressed. very stuck in the cage most of the time. completely scalular with virtually no variance. he's one i really don't get the hype over.

to me, its like he comes from a genre that doesn't have guitar monsters, and someone heard him play and thought "wow". only, its not so wow at all.

hell, when i actually take some warm up time to do some speedy scale work i think i'm tom morello. laughable, really. hell, if I can do it, its not so great.

10. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

Really ??

Satriani & Via leave you bored quickly ... :scratch:

Two guys who have done more for the guitar playing world than any other's !!

And Ace left his mark in a different fashion , but none the less a pioneer that deserves our respect !

:ugh:

Soulforger and Marshall Gibson like this.
  11. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

Here's a guy who makes we wonder alot , this man has 2 licks in his arsenal , and still makes a living to this day !!

George Thorogood !!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0q8Oho_RjM]I Drink Alone - George Thorogood - YouTube[/ame]

12. vex_Sb

vex_Sb New Member

ok hendrix made huge impact on the world, but in the same time Ritchie was ripping guitar and for me he is picture of modern guitarist, always wondering about enhancing instrument, was among first to scalloping his guitars, modding pup's and amps and all other craps :D

hendrix was into ... weed i guess :D ...

ok, same thing but bass. ... what do you think is Cliff Burton overrated :D ??

13. sidvicious

sidvicious Active Member

to those that named hendrix, clapton, page, and beck.

who, during each player's prime, who would you name instead, and why? in the late 60's and into the early 70's, who should it be?

just curious. actually, i suggest you don't know what you're talking about.

yladrd61 likes this.
  14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Active Member

Good post... but I believe if you're bored, or feel limited by Jimi's playing style, you're not looking deep enough.

To me, Jimi had no limits. He opened the guitar up in so many ways, from his fiery blues inspired licks to his incredible rhytmic work (AATWT, Little Wing) to his interpretation of musical genres to his experimentation with sound.

All roads lead to Jimi. Rock, Jazz, Blues, even "classically" influenced players like Yngwie & Blackmore took what Jimi did & explored this wonderful thing we call music.

yladrd61 likes this.
  15. Yetti

Yetti New Member

Clapton (winner)
    BB King (same few riffs, over, and over, and over)
    Peter Townsend (sloppy, gimicky)

16. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

The really sad part is when you think about todays players & the lack of amazing guitarists. Lately it has caused me to reflect upon the very real possibility that being a good guitar player & making awesome guitar based music could be a passing phase that is on it's way to fading away.

Back in the day, playing music & learning guitar appealed to youngsters & music pulled them in & gave them the desire to learn and master an instrument. I am afraid this has been lost on today's tech savy overstimulated generation. Lets face it, getting good & being competent on guitar isn't a quick and easy thing to do. It takes a level of commitment and a sincere love for music to get you where you gotta be.

When I was young, lots of kids played music & had bands. I don't see that happening today at the same level as then. Why? Because it's hard? Video games are more fun? Easier? Doesn't hurt my fingers? Isn't as frustrating? My God! What has happened? Will the day of the amazing guitarist soon enough be a thing of the past?

Maybe that new guitar learning software 'Rocksmith' can resuscitate this once admired & now all but abandoned art-form. OK, I'm being dramatic, but none the less, the point seems very realistic & the trend away from lots of people being musicians & or trying to be good guitarists is undeniable.

I think guitarist, good guitarists, should just be enjoyed & appreciated for what they do. I really have no need in life to judge or compare. I Just take whatever enjoyment I can from the music I hear. When I get antsy, (tired or bored) I move on. I never fed into the one is better than the other, this guy sucks, this guys is better way of looking at music or musicians. Most who have made it to some level of success usually have enough playing ability to be enjoyed & appreciated. I never could say Clapton was better than Paige or Hendrix was better than whoever because I always seen them as each having something of their own value to offer & give.

While 'better than' or 'over-rated' can surely be argued to death, it is all subjective to the individual. It smacks me as being petty & judgmental. Yah, I've been guilty of it myself but that doesn't make such judgments less so. Everybody has their own to offer & every individual has the right to like what they like. That's the way I like to look at it. But it's also fine if people have opinions or want to categorize 'better thans' & 'over-rated'. Maybe I'm just realizing I'm a live n let live hippie, or something man.

So just enjoy man. Peace.

ollyclam likes this.
  17. 1neeto

1neeto Well-Known Member

LOL of course shredders will always get hate in these kind of threads. Shocking. :shred:

Also Cobain gets way too much hate. He was never considered a great guitar player, but he did make guitar playing accessible. He showed the world that you can write a great song with just 4 power chords. He also put an end to the ridiculous butt-rock scene of the 80's.
    :hbang:

ollyclam and CactusJack13 like this.
  18. Amp360

Amp360 Well-Known Member

I think Ray and Dave Davies showed the world you can write a great song with just four power chords years before Nirvana.

HOT TUBES 70 likes this.
  19. NewReligion

NewReligion Well-Known Member VIP Member

I am over rated for certain.

David ♫

20. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Well-Known Member VIP Member

...and far too humble. :cool:

SwampThing and NewReligion like this.