Overated guitarists

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Karloff, Jul 25, 2013.

1. big dooley

big dooley Well-Known Member VIP Member

considering reactions from people after a gig:
    i'm overrated...
    sometimes they haven't got a bloody clue what the difference between a decent player and a professional is...

ollyclam and Quasar-Kid like this.
  2. RandallPink

RandallPink New Member

Stevie Ray Vaughan

3. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Eric Clapton INVENTED Marshall tone in 1966
    Then he did THIS
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbqQL0J_Vr0]Cream - Sunshine of Your Love - YouTube[/ame]

Really man ,we wouldn't even be havin a Marshall forum if not for The Cream

4. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Clapton should have stayed a lead guitarist in someone else's band. I can't stand his "Eric Clapton" solo artist work.

fatoldsun and Marshall Gibson like this.
  5. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    You can run....but you can't hide :facepalm:

EVH....great guitarist in a SHITE band :naughty:

SoloDallas likes this.
  6. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Agreed. Nothing says cheeseball dad-rock like Van Halen. I showed this pic to my 12 year old nephew and he busted out laughing and said "that's soooo gay".

[​IMG]

7. vex_Sb

vex_Sb New Member

Hi. I MUST say something on this ...

As first - i don't think Hammett is overrated.

Why ?? Well , who the **** even think he is guitar god ?? I always listen about his sloppiness and riding wah pedal.

But, don't forget he DID make some of immortal stuff , solos and riffs for biggest band ever , so i pay my respect on that .

overrated :

slash - o yes ... his bending is as same level as kirk's wah overdose ... he can play entire solo not to move hand just bend up and down 2 strings . lazy ass :lol:

santana

jimmy page - i mean wtf, all that shit you can play with 1 year of guitar in your hands . i don't get how can some1 put him on list of best guitar players ? And i dont credit him on material either because he probably stole that shit somewhere :D

hendrix - i really can't see or hear that "GOD" part ... maybe if i go on stage and burn some shit , guitar, amp, maybe little of drums ... :D ... i agree about changing history of guitar, but that's it .. if he didn't make that some1 else would ... it's same as what if inventor of wheel never born ?? we would still riding horse and go on foot ?? :D

on the other hand ...

Satriani - god . period . he have all kind of songs, slow and fast, there is soul inside, there is everything inside ... and over all that - unreal technical ability

knopfler - more passion and feeling than in mexican soap in most critical moment.

i like te maiden's - all 3 of them know their shit and play great tunes .

Ritchie Blackmore - NOW he was probably influence for many ... god. period.

8. S.A.T.O.

S.A.T.O. Well-Known Member

I don't like this thread...

yladrd61, Ghostman and brp like this.
  9. Amp360

Amp360 Well-Known Member

Billy Gibbins - this one I will never understand
    Slash - AFD and UYI were ok cock rock records for the time. Nothing groundbreaking, although people talk about them like they were some different, amazing band when they were just a Hit Parade/Metal Edge type of band along with Faster Pussycat, Warrant and Bon Jovi. November Rain was just as cheesy as Unskinny Bop. Slash isn't a bad guitar player, but I just never saw him do anything different then the pentatonic wanking that people did in the 80s. As for the AFD toan, I just never even thought it was all that different or great to begin with.

Most of the "middle name" guitar playerz:

Stevie "Ray" Vaughn
    Eric "John" Stone
    Kenny "Wayne" Shepard
    Joe "Bonna" Massa

et al

10. brp

brp Well-Known Member

Wow, tough crowd.

He's one to talk about "enough already" with his pinch harmonics every other bar to the point they become a parody of himself.

11. sidvicious

sidvicious Active Member

the thread should be qualified with such: judge those within the time that they gained fame, and, within your time in your formative years.

for example, if you were born in the 80's, what could you possibly know about how it was to achieve stardom in the 60's, 70's and 80's? not much.

give yourself a little test. unplug the pedals and toss the hotrodded amps. thats what most of the "meh" guitarists were using. very few things to smooth the playing. basically straight up guitar and amp. do this when playing clapton, hendrix, vaughan, and others of that era and see if you can do it. if so, post it on youtube. then come back and we'll knight you.

now to the thread.

i was never impressed with andy summers. when the police hit his playing was awed by a lot of guys. i couldn't see why. overly processed, it seemed to me. to clarify, he may be a fine player but i couldn't detect it from the recordings.

buddy guy. yeah, black and all that. he's just not that good. i know. done many a show with him.

motley crue. don't know their names, but thought the guitar work was pedestrian. the kids loved it and thought they were amazing.

roy clark. yep. he's a straight in guy, no doubt. and he's good, sometimes very good. but he's not nearly as hot as the guys standing behind him.

toni iommi. i'm a huge sabboth fan. his sound is legend. his playing, less so.

perpetual shredders. chunk that sock-in-your-pants pedal board or rack, and lets see how it hangs.

kenny shepard and johnn lang. nothing all that great. good, but....

slash. good, and keeps a good thing going. not great god like many here have said.

david gilmore. not a guitar god. he's a sound god. but, he's the first to admit it.

scat7s likes this.
  12. Marshall Gibson

Marshall Gibson Well-Known Member

* Orianthi
    * Eric Clapton
    * Michael Angelo Masturbatio
    * Jack White
    * Slash

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  13. TwinACStacks

TwinACStacks New Member

:D It's a Shame that whole Grunge genre' didn't die with Cobain.

All you Page haters can go F*CK Yourselves....

That is all.

:lol::lol: TWIN

ollyclam and AlvisX like this.
  14. TwinACStacks

TwinACStacks New Member

:cool: Oh Christ, another 16 year old wannabe shredder. Yep, Blackmore's a GOD, JIMI was nothing...

:cool::cool: TWIN

15. scat7s

scat7s New Member VIP Member

1) slash
    2) most of the glam shred dinosaurs vai/lynch/yjm et al.
    3) evh-a true pioneer, very rare, there has only been a handful and he's earned his place as one. but enough already. the tank is empty.
    4) zakk wylde

16. scat7s

thats exactly what he is, a charicature...BLS haha, if he wasnt "zakk wylde" would ANYONE give a flying **** about his copycat ozzy vocals and teen-age type songwriting?

i wrote better lyrics when i was a teenager hahahahaa...

17. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

aren't they all over-rated?

scat7s likes this.
  18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Active Member

Everyone who posted in this thread is overrated

yladrd61, CaptainZero and scat7s like this.
  19. scat7s

randy rhoads too...geeze, the guy recorded two albums. they were good, but not "kneel at the altar of randy" good.

time has not been as kind to randy as some portray imo.

Soulforger likes this.
  20. vex_Sb

vex_Sb New Member

You coul'd not be more wrong :naughty:

I am not saying Jimi was nothing, i am saying that he is overrated guitarist. While i don't like most of his work, i respect that someone else like that kind of music. I am more into purple and sabbath.

And technically not even in same sentence with Blackmore, i think there can not be arguing here ? I am putting them neck to neck because they are nearly same age and everything.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfAWReBmxEs]Deep Purple-Child in Time - YouTube[/ame]

I really do not understand how people tend to build altars to dead people ( hendrix, senna, cobain, ... ) and make them gods , and when you see numbers you realise that there was someone else who was playing better, driving faster or whatever. No disrespect but just my opinion.