Overated guitarists

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Karloff, Jul 25, 2013.

1. AllenCollinsExplorer

AllenCollinsExplorer Well-Known Member

Kirk Hammett, Kurt Cobain, Bruce Springsteen, Keith Richards, Jimi Hendrix, Jack White, Jimmy Page. To name a few...

2. LMP2204

LMP2204 Active Member

So if somebody is laughing all the way to the bank, does that make them a good Player? Not always. However I find money has nothing to do with talent. Some of the best musicians and artists often don't get the credit they deserve and don't get "discovered" until they have passed away while the right haircut and overwhored talentless sellouts get it all... Aint it a shame? Regardless of talent or status of income anybody who picks up an instrument and atleast puts effort into it is good. It might not be my cup of tea but atleast I can hear the effort.
    But if I had to pick it would be somebody like YJM or Vai, I understand that some people like to look at a guitar and think of the Bonneville salt flats and try to break speed records of previous competitors. But to me guitar isn't a competition, its not guitar hero. its a tool of transferring human emotion into moving vibrations and sounds. Senseless speed noodling is the tailgating community of guitar playing.you can paint your face, take your shirt off and scream for your favorite team but in the end nobody wins. You are just stroking your own ego.

3. Cold Warrior

Cold Warrior New Member

I recall when "Load" :ugh: came out, me and a few friends got a few 12-packs and popped in the CD to listen in the background (yeah, a listening party I suppose). We kept waiting for the "good" songs, which surely must be kept until the end....but they never came. At the end of the CD, we all looked at each other and kind of......:ugh:

We wondered if we were drunk and needed a 2nd listen to get it, so we all tried it at least once more, but it wouldn't take. That began a 15+ year saga of pure suckage for Metallica. They partially redeemed themselves with DM, but honestly, Load was a freakin' funeral. :( We Kirk tried to speed it up a bit for DM, it only reminds you of how thin his tone is and how weak his vibrato is. And then there is the complete lack of dynamics in the production, but that's another thread...

4. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

I think any armchair weekend warrior "nobody" judging the "somebody's" is over-rated. It seems like that's all guitar player's do anymore is pick apart the greats and proclaim they weren't nothing special....... yet, they are the reason ALL of us are here today.

I especially like all the hate on Kirk Hammet.... Obviously everyone here is a better player, and better writer, has sold more albums, has played more sold out concerts, etc.....

ya... that's what I thought.

5. sidvicious

sidvicious Active Member

actually i need to eat some shit on one of the names i mentioned.

andy summers.

i went back and listened to some deeper cuts and his playing is very good.

i think i was bit by the "not my thing" bug when i listed him. at the time, when the 70's turned to the 80's there was the huge plastic revolution and i generally lumped the police in with that. summers was getting a lot of props as a player and was such a non-fan that i didn't listen to anything but the hits. some of the hits are very good, but not much by way of great guitar.

anyways, mea culpa. i was wrong on this.

AlvisX likes this.
  6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands Well-Known Member

Even back in the day, I thought Kirk's vibrato was pretty bad.

Shit, even Het has a better vibrato than Kirk. When he does solo, which he rarely does, he's not all about speed. He's got a slower thing going on.

Also, I can't get into Death Magnetic. It's a poorly-produced snoozefest with only 2 good songs.

7. Tone Slinger

Tone Slinger Well-Known Member

I think ALL guitarists are overated AND underated,depending on the situation. When a guitarist is playing and not really feeling it, I could care less about thier 'technical execution/chops', but, by contrast, when a guitarist IS feeling it, I could care less about bummed/missed notes.

When a good jam is happening,everybody will get thier inspired moments in.

But really it all goes back to the joke,"How many guitarists does it take to screw a light bulb in ? answer: 4 ....... one to screw it in and 3 to say they could have done it better " :lol:

ollyclam and Relic61 like this.
  8. dsn716

dsn716 Active Member

"... And Justice for All" was the last thing Metallica released that was worth spending money on. It was hands-down the LAST great Metallica record. The release of the Black album was the official end of the mighty Metallica.

9. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Yup.The official end.

10. mott555

mott555 Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned, there is no Metallica between AJFA and Death Magnetic. They took a 20-year break.

I finally went and actually listened to Load. Not a bad album, but not great. And it certainly doesn't feel or sound like Metallica.

11. Lyv2Ryd

Lyv2Ryd Well-Known Member

OK. Clapton doesn't have the most incredible chops, but a lot of his early licks became standard rock n roll riffs in all rock since then. He's a pioneer, he influenced many. I disagree with him on the list.

Now, the Edge well...

12. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Feel free to talk $#!T as I say to this thread 'GoodBye' 'Im unsunscribing from future notifications'. Nothing against anyone or anything posted. I've been thinking about this for a while.

Why? Some might ask? Because I just don't care about who people think are overrated guitarists. As others have already mentioned, the whole idea of a professional & successful guitarist being overrated is just silliness. Small minded WGAF nonsense. Everbody is everybody. Each doing their own thing. Music isn't a competition and to think of anybody as overrated is fvckin stupidassbull$#!T.

This may sound $#!TTY but there are just better things to do with our time than this. Like practice or find a frikin life.

Have a nice day.

13. lester&marshall

lester&marshall New Member

Nigel Tufnel and Keith Partridge....

Karloff and johnfv like this.
  14. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

:yesway:
    And THE most overated guitarist is.... Lancelot Link
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz7EGY-iHR8]Lancelot Link and the Evolution Revolution - Wild Dreams (Jelly Beans) OFFICIAL - YouTube[/ame]

Karloff and lester&marshall like this.
  15. Coronado

Coronado Well-Known Member

I'm embarrassed to say that when I heard my first Alter Bridge song (addicted to pain), I was blown away. I was like DAMN, who is this guy?! He is amazing!!! So, lets hop on the ol' superhighway and lets see who this super awesome... ah shit, its Tremonti.

16. Karloff

Karloff Active Member

17. V-Type

V-Type Active Member

I can see CC Deville and Kerry King. Meh.
    Mayer? sure.
    How's about Zakk?
    I know this is a Marshall forum but Zakk has been abysmal for a very long time.
    Everytime someone says how bad ass he is I look up the last ten years of youtubes and the guy is horrid.
    He has some sweet Marshalls yet its mud, over chorus city everytime.

But he is the king of pinch and squeal.

Another overrated guy imo is Phil Collen.
    Somehow this guy kept a top lead guitar job yet plays lead very much like a rhythm guitarist.
    I love his Jackson sig but still wonder How he got a sig vs lots of other guys.

Dont get me wrong I like all music too a degree but some folks are quite,quite lucky they even made it.

marshallman116 likes this.
  18. sidvicious

sidvicious Active Member

a comment on collen.

he's hooked up w a black chick to do some delta blues. its been hyped quite a bit. sooooo, i took a listen.

very, VERY generic and totally uninspiring. really bad on the other end of the scale. i was never a super-fan of dl, and i basically left them after pyro. didn't like the hit phase stuff.

but the collen blues stuff is very bad. no chops at all. very surprising. you'd figure the guy would learn a thing or two in a major band.

marshallman116 likes this.
  19. YetiVanMarshall

YetiVanMarshall Member

Slash - If someone could point me to some tasteful guitar work such as gilmour on animals, I would greatly appreciate to hear it and that may change my Slash discomfort.

Thx

20. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Anyone better than me is over rated...which is every guitar player in the world.