Orville by Gibson LPR-59 with original Bumblebees

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by wkcchampion, Nov 29, 2010.

1. wkcchampion

wkcchampion New Member

Ok I'm extremely happy.
    I just scored a cherry sunburst Orville by Gibson LPR-59, with original 50s Bumblebee caps.

Pics will follwo as soon as the guitar gets here.

For those who don't know...

This is one of the infamous Japanese "lawsuit" Les Paul replicas, that were so good to thep oint Gibson used them and made them stop the production.
    Unlike current Gibsons, these have no holes inside (i.e. "weight relieving", as they name it...). ObG LPR-59s are 1959 replicas, they have Gibson USA hardware and pickups (57 classics), correct long neck tenon, fret binding etc... Plus, this oen have the original Bumblebee caps, installed by the seller.
    Lane saw the work before I went on with the purchase, and he judged the soldering "solid", so I have no worries.

Two members of MyLesPaul told me that these high end ObGs are as good if not better than the very expensive Gibson historics (R8, R9 etc). I saw pics of an R8 on that forum... ehm... the neck tenon wasn't exactly as it should be ;)
    Some Greco Super Real models seem to be even better! The 1200 and 1800 go for more than 3000 USD, even 3500...

I'm sure my face will be like this when I'll play it with the 1959 and 2203 :hippie:.. or maybe like this :naughty:

2. American Viking

American Viking Well-Known Member

I thought Gibson owned Orville...

Either way, yeah, I've heard they are pretty good guitars. After Gibson has released their latest bunch of nonsense, including the Jonas Bros guitar, I have decided my next LP is definitely going to be an old Greco, Tokai, or Burny.

3. wkcchampion

wkcchampion New Member

Yes, Gibson owned Orville. I was just introducing the Japanese lawsuit guitars.

Navigator still makes high end replicas, I think. Long tenon, no holes inside etc. Not cheap though - but certainly less than an insane R9

4. rjohns1

rjohns1 Well-Known Member

Pics or it doesn't exist, LOL

5. Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81 New Member

Fixed it! :lol:

6. Madaxeman

Madaxeman Active Member

Orville are Fuji-Gen Gakki made Guitars. They are Gibson Licensed Jap Replicas.
    They are exactly the same as Greco 'mint collection' guitars of the same era.

7. wkcchampion

wkcchampion New Member

8. wkcchampion

wkcchampion New Member

Don't confuse Orville with orville by Gibson (both standards/Custom and 59/57 replicas)

9. jcmjmp

jcmjmp Well-Known Member

I find it funny how anyone buying a Gibson copy will say how it plays as well or better than the real thing, even people buying $250.00 Agile LPs say this.

The old Jap copies were pretty good, but they are not a Gibson. In saying that, I agree with American Viking. If I buy another LP someday, it would likely be something I built myself or something I build with this guy:
    Brian Monty

10. wkcchampion

wkcchampion New Member

I had two MLP VIP members tell me that these high end Jap models are superior to Gibson historics. They had one and sold it for either a Greco or ObG.
    You should know that gibson drills holes and makes the wrong neck tenon. Ah yes, and those horrible Bumbleebee reissues... did u read that thread, with graphs showing their poor performance?

11. jcmjmp

jcmjmp Well-Known Member

No - I haven't read anything specific like that.

People get caught up in stupid details like the length of the tenon but forget the big picture. The fact that the tenon is not exactly like some purists would like it to be does not make the guitar any worse.

The tenon on current production Gibsons are structurally fine and I doubt that anyone would hear the difference with a tenon that is 1/4" longer.

12. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Cool...whatcha pay?

13. custom53

custom53 Well-Known Member

Orville, Tokai, and Burny are not, as said above, Gibsons... But they aren't saying they are either...

They are, IMO, great guitars in their own right. My Burny looks good, plays good, and is an awesome backup or even main guitar...
    I own a couple of Gibson Les Pauls and I am not the least bit ashamed to play them side by side...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. jcmjmp

jcmjmp Well-Known Member

I love it! That looks great!

15. wkcchampion

wkcchampion New Member

Paid 1000.
    I have the suspicion that the bumblebee are the reissue. Well, if they are, I'll replace them with NOS PIO caps

16. al3d

al3d New Member

Orville by Gibson are really cool guitars. I had a few of the exact same model you just bought, with case, but they are not to be confused with a R9 for specs, quality and Tone basically. The Neck on the ObG is nothing like a R9 or 1959 basically. it's a GOOD guitar, don't get me wrong, but to say it's better or equal to a R9 is quite funny to me.

If they were SO GOOD, Gibson would still be producing them in mass and would simply get their R series procuded there...other companies are doing it!. Only difference with Orville and Orville by Gibson was some details in shape in certain models, and Maple Cap on SOME...that's about it.

17. wkcchampion

wkcchampion New Member

You're really wrong. first, this oen os a LPR-59, which was the rarest and highest model made by ObG, and only in 1993 and 1994. It's different from LPS (Standard and Custom).
    It's the opposite, in fact. Gibson shut Oorville down and sued all the others (Tokai, Greco...) because they were making guitars better than theirs at a lower price. This is well known and history.

Sources:
    Page 1 history
    clearly said "The Japanese made guitar was actually a closer copy of the 1959 LP than the Gibson USA guitar being produced at that time.
    The Japanese models usually had a long tenon like the 1959 LP's, the US Standard version did not
    . "

Plus, here are the pics of a unassembled R8:

Bavarian `58 to`57 Conversion - Page 3 - Les Paul Forum
    What's the heck with that neck tenon? What's that sort of foam????
    yes it's the polystyrene foam in the neck pocket to fill a badly fitted neck joint that gets me, terrible really !

The word "Gibson" on the headstock is just a word. Let's analyze what's under the hood.

Finally, all the japanese high quality mahogony, thats why they do not need to have holes drilled in them to reduce weight. gibson allegedly use a type of low quality mahogany which is heavy (unconfirmed claim/rumour).
    why would you ever want to weight relieve the wood if it was not too heavy? theres no other valid reason, even for historics gibson buys wood in bulk and its not old growth mahogony for sure, many of the japanese LP's from the early 80's have old growth honduran mahogony backs, especially from the Fuji-gen factory (high end ObG and Greco guitars).

If u still want to believe that it's gold only because there's a certain name on it, well you're free.

As final comment, it's not different with amps! Just remember the VOX Chinese reissue... even Marshalls reissues are known to be not completely faithful to the originals - while clones (Metroamp and so on) are.

18. rjohns1

rjohns1 Well-Known Member

Nice score dude.

19. jcmjmp

jcmjmp Well-Known Member

WK - I'm sure that the guitar you got is very nice.

I had a look at that neck tenon on the link you provided. It does indeed look bad, but how do you know its actually from a Historic? Who in their right mind would unglue a neck off of a historic?

20. al3d

al3d New Member

U got to love blind faith..;) But seriously, only important thing is that you like it...:) and i did have 2 of these models..nice guitars really.