Original Jtm 45 - Sell Or Refurb?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by Kigtod, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Kigtod

Kigtod New Member

0D23ED20-3157-4673-A35A-87100E70676A.jpeg DA3A6EFD-0C44-486C-91E6-16AEADBB61AA.jpeg Hi

I’m new here and have decided after many years (40+) to ‘do something ‘ about my old MkII JTM 45’ head.

This was my first amp bought second hand in about 1972. It developed a problem we called ‘motorboating’ (low frequency oscillation). I was a trainee electronic engineer so I decided to rebuild the amp with a transistorised version. (Of course, if I’d known then how it would have been worth in the future of course I wouldn’t have done that.) You need to remember at that time all I wanted was a working amp and there was a nice 2 x 50W design in a magazine called ‘Elektor’ which I built and fitted together with a Bang & Olufsen pre-amp PCB supplied by our lead guitarist who was working for B&O at the time.

It worked OK and I used it for many years until I’d earned enough to get another amp. It has been sat in my (dry) garage since.

So, should I sell it ‘as is’ or would it be worth refurbishing? I’d like advice on what it might be worth in the current state and if there are any good component sets available if a refurb would be a better route.

I’ve attached a couple of photos and you’ll see the serial number is 1496 which I think makes it early sixties. If there is any interest in this post I can post a photo of the inside but only the chassis end castings are original. Oh, and it has the original cover

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Could you post pictures of the insides?

It looks like it's been modified.
    Having it restored would be a good thing although it is worth quite a bit "as-is," it's worth more in working condition.

3. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member

Ahh yea. He said he rebuilt it with a solid state design..to say it's modded appears to be an understatement. I suspect it isn't a jtm45 in any form anymore. My question would be if he has any of the original parts yet, like the transformers, pots, turret board and components...if not it would cost a small fortune to track down original period parts. Myself I would probably "restore" it by building a clone, if I didn't have the factory parts anymore.

4. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum new MF’r, me I would refurbish, and keep it! Cheers Mitch

Scumback Speakers likes this.
  5. ampmadscientist

He said he rebuilt it with a solid state design..to say it's modded appears to be an understatement.

:lol::lol::lol:

Ceriatone, here we come.

Gunner64 likes this.
  6. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

Post on the vintage section and someone might give you an offer for the parts... there are several people there who rebuild amps as their hobby/ passion/ calling
    J

Gunner64 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member Sponsor

I would restore it, and remove the mods, then decide whether you want to keep it or sell it.

8. Gunner64

That's the thing..it isn't just modded, it sounds like it's been gutted. If so It's just an original chassis and headshell at this point..nothing jtm45 left but that. Early 60s jtm destroyed..man what a shame. In retrospect I kind of side with johan, sell what's left to one of the vintage guys here..shit the tag on the back alone is probably worth more than you'd think it would be.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  9. Gunner64

10. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I am afraid we are going to need more info than that - ie pictures.
    The high end amps will be museum pieces - almost untouched by human hand, these get silly money - not sure from whom.
    Best deals are clean tidy amps with good coverings, no extra holes drilled, original transformers. These will have had bias caps, and filter caps replaced and the odd signal capacitor or resistor, they will have original type valves in good condition.
    Next the resto that may have had some mods (loop/MV) a replaced transformer or choke but broadly a sound player.
    Whether yours is worth restoring (either practically or for emotional attachment reasons) will be up to you and your pocket. There are those of us that restore anything for kicks. How OEM you want to go depends on your budget!

Post some gut shots of any remaining transformers or circuit boards and we can tell. Heck I would buy the head box off you now (my 68 JMP50 needs a home!).

11. 11068

11068 New Member

waow, yes, selling it for what is left is best, restoring would cost in the $thousands .... I don't blame you, at the time, the rave was indeed solid state everything, Im sure it was a pretty smart move then to turn in into a 'reliable' and 'high fildelity' amplifier. cheers

12. Kigtod

Kigtod New Member

Hi all
    Many thanks for all the comments. As requested here are a couple of photos of the inside. As I said there is very little original stuff in there - chassis castings, maybe some pots and perhaps a switch- you guys will be able to spot what’s original. I also noticed I must have added an ic pre-amp at some later point.
    Nobody has asked ‘Did you have a cab as well?’ The answer is yes and that is in much better shape, with 4 x Celestine G 12 M inside. I’ve included a photo although I’ll probably start a thread on the Cabinets and Speakers for that. I mention this because would a rebuilt amp with original cab be a better bet than selling each separately?
    (Pics are low resolution due to upload size constraints).
    C77782F1-4582-4D88-BD6A-03248D88E3F3.jpeg 69FE0C90-00BD-4CA1-85CD-D6077FA0F2B6.jpeg 8B17C682-C01C-451C-8025-D96F63D6B684.jpeg

13. ampmadscientist

[​IMG]

Did you save the old parts? Holy sheep shit.

What you are looking at now: scrap metal.
    It "was" worth a lot before this took place.

14. Joe Lavely

Joe Lavely New Member

Looks like a nice cab, though!

15. Ned B

Ned B Active Member

The front panel, a few knobs, pots, pilot light and for me that head cabinet. I have a pretty intact chassis from the same period that could use it. I would pay good money for those parts. It seems too far gone to be worthwhile restoring. With pretty much all the tone producing elements gone you might as well get a nice clone. There are many to choose from.

16. pleximaster

pleximaster Well-Known Member

I always develop this "Free Willy" feeling when I see amps like this. I want to save it - feeling! :)

best plexi

tomsvintage and Dogs of Doom like this.
  17. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Oh man.........................

18. eastsidecincy

eastsidecincy Active Member

A solid state JTM45.....I am feeling sick...gotta barf....:mad:

19. Ned B

Ned B Active Member

There was a solid state 18W on ebay recently.

20. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    You
    could
    sell it
    to Dave Simpson.
    He's a fan of solid state.
    Strange bloke - no interest in tubes...