Original 1966-1968 Tall Bottom Cabinet

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by PaulHamwijk, Dec 4, 2019.

1. shakti

shakti Active Member

Never noticed that before! Odd one for sure. I assume top leather handles like earlier B cabs?

2. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

Not sure, but assuming so.

3. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

The one I have has a single center screw.

4. Totenamp

Totenamp New Member

Here's 1982B cab that I own with remnants of leather handles and original pinstripe. 20190814_202726 resized.jpg

Attached Files:

5. BygoneTones

Amazing. Look after it. So rare in that condition.

6. Totenamp

Totenamp New Member

yeah I have been thinking about selling it...that's if the price is right...I understand these can fetch a considerable amount of money

7. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Yes and do not restore it if you sell it.
    Lots of photographs at all angles will sell it

8. Totenamp

Totenamp New Member

yeah well I will need to pull it down from the corner in which it has sat these last three years and take the back off etc. Anyone have any idea on what one might be worth?

9. BygoneTones

Depends on the overall condition of it, and the condition of the speakers. It should be worth a decent price going from what I can see. If there is any hacking to the woodwork, eg a stereo jack installed on the back panel, things like that will all reduce the value somewhat. Originality is king. Celestion speakers are only valuable if they work properly, so they would have to be tested.

tomsvintage likes this.
  10. shakti

shakti Active Member

This cab (the one in the original post) is now safe and sound in my possession. :) I have a quad of 66-67 T1281s waiting to into it, once the pinstripe I ordered from Eric Collins is here. This is a childhood dream come true, to be honest...I've been desiring and craving one of these since I first got goosebumps from hearing the sounds of Cream and Hendrix at age 12 and seeing all those iconic images.

The cab itself is structurally in great condition - nothing is loose or wobbly. I can hear from the woody and slightly bright "knock" that it's going to be a killer sounding cab, and I can't wait to hear those speakers in action inside the physically larger box.

A question for those in the know: as you can see in the first post, there is no mounting "plate" for the logo. There are holes from the original 6" logo (which line up with the MG repro logo I have) but I can't really see that it had a wooden mounting plate originally. But that seems strange, as the logo would be hovering above the baffle when mounted like that, so I think it must have had one. Does anyone have photos of a similar era tall bottom baffle which shows the size and placement of the logo mounting plate?

tomsvintage and PaulHamwijk like this.
  11. Super Blead

Super Blead New Member

Cool, greetings! :thumb:
    For the mounting plate, look at the Totenamp's one at the top of this page. There is clearly a mounting plate for the logo.

12. shakti

shakti Active Member

Good Call! Looks like you can just make out the outline of it. It also looks unpainted, unlike the rest of the baffle.

13. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Just my opinion, if you're springing for the expensive but nice EC Collins grille cloth, it doesn't make sense NOT to fully restore and recover it, so I do hope that you do get it recovered as close to original as is humanly possible. If black/green covering is not available, then pick the next closest thing that was available in that time period. The band name stencilled on the back of the cabinet is in the "we're nobodies and add nothing to the provenance or value" category, so there's nothing to be lost by stripping even the back and recovering it.

It'd be a totally different story if it had documented provenance linking it to a legendary or even prominent player. But you don't have that, so I see no reason not to fix the sins and abuses of time and many gigs performed without benefit of protective road cases.

14. shakti

shakti Active Member

It is definitely going to get the full restoration.

Just tested it with the four 25w T1281s, but without grill cloth. Even then, what a great sound! Bass response is big, but fast, fat and clear. I can turn the bass down to 0 on the amp and still not feel like I’m missing anything, and that helps keep the amp sounding tight too. Really liking what I am hearing so far. Need to test it with fuzz too.

15. AMPPILOT

AMPPILOT Active Member

must be purple to sound correct

junk notes likes this.
  16. junk notes

dang it! mine is black :-\

17. BygoneTones

Nice score Shakti. Here is a 67 in very rough condition. Don't ask me for meaurements, this one went a good few years ago, but hope the pics help:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

shakti likes this.
  18. shakti

shakti Active Member

Perfect, thanks Brian!

19. junk notes

What are the differences?

20. Metroman

Metroman Well-Known Member

WHile mines not original. O had Mather make a 66 replica TVB cabinet with EC Collins cloth, and loaded it with 4 Pulsonic Celestion G12Ms.

I use a LTD ED Metro GMP45 head, and all NOS glass.

The cabinet is 36 inches tall.

[​IMG]