Origin 20H emulated out ?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Graham G, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Graham G

Graham G Active Member

Does the ORI20H,require a loudspeaker connected when using the Emulated out
    (home recording use) I've read the manual but it doesn't say one way or the other,but I thought read somewhere that a loudspeaker wasn't required,but I have been wrong before,quite a bit.:D

2. Jason Fieldhouseespk

Jason Fieldhouseespk Well-Known Member

You are correct, no loudspeaker needed when using the DI Out, however make sure the amp is turned OFF when disconnecting loudspeaker and connecting DI, then switch the amp ON. :) Enjoy.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  3. Graham G

Graham G Active Member

Thanks,i'm having a go at doing a recording on the Computer,never done it before.
    So do I go Emulated Out into PreSonus Interface with a signal lead & that's it.

Jason Fieldhouseespk likes this.
  4. Jason Fieldhouseespk

That would work fine, I'm sure a balanced TRS would work too, but I'll bet it's summed to mono anyway so.... yeah go ahead with an instrument cable

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. Graham G

Graham G Active Member

Thanks.

6. Jason Fieldhouseespk

No problemo, good luck, and if you feel like sharing the end product post it up, I'd look forward to it, :)

7. Graham G

Graham G Active Member

Thanks for your help,i've got it working but i'm a bit surprised at the results,i'm only using headphones,but the Amp sounds really overdriven,almost like a fuzz or distortion pedal & very low output,nothing like it sounds with a speaker cabinet when I use it live,i'm not sure wha,but I think I'm doing something wrong.:erk:
    What i'm doing is adding a Guitar track to a recording(first ever)of our Band practice,i'll just stick at it & maybe mic up the amp/speaker,but I really don't want to crank the Amp in the house,the dog hates me playing,nearly as much as my wife.:D

:band:,once again thanks for your help & i'd be to embarrassed to share the recording in public.:)

8. Jason Fieldhouseespk

Ok bud, right, let's try see if we can help you with that...

Are you going into an interface then?

Are you going into a line input?

Are you going into a mic or an iinstrument input?

Then into your computer, straight into the DAW?

Does your interface come with any control panel software?

9. Graham G

Graham G Active Member

A panel which opens up & you can select
    Sample Rate (set to 44.1khz) Range 44.1 -- 48.00
    Clock Sauce fixed.
    Block Size (set to 512) Range 16/32/64/128/256/512/1024/2048.

Not sure if this is of any use,but this is what I've found.

Really appreciate this help,i just thought my original question was just a simple yes/no.
    It may be that what i'm hearing out of the headphones my be normal ie very overdriven & really low output.

10. Jason Fieldhouseespk

Ok, so, that interface seems to have either Mic level or Instrument level, but your DI output is at Line level.... So, what it's trying to do with your jack inserted is amplify the signal, as if it's an un-amplified instrument, when it doesn't need to be...
    So you may actually need a Jack - XLR (Male) lead, which should put it through the Mic preamp, which should still be louder but closer to the level, so it's at least manageable without clipping.

So, look into TRS Jack - XLR Male from a local shop (if any are open? Else, maybe order online?)

Are you in the US?

11. Jason Fieldhouseespk

12. Graham G

Graham G Active Member

Jason,thanks a lot.
    Yes i'm in the UK,i can make up a TRS/XLR if I can't buy an off the shelf one,i'll have to find out the spec of the emulated out jack & then the pin convention,as soon as I get it sorted i'll let you know.
    Really appreciate your help & the trouble you've taken over & above the subject of my original question.
    Cheers,Graham.

13. Jason Fieldhouseespk

No worries mate, that's what this forum is for, lots of advice and community spirit on here(maybe not right now, a little quiet at the min) from some good folks, :)
    Welcome to the forum, and rock on man, \,,/

tce63 likes this.
  14. Graham G

Graham G Active Member

I've been thinking about the Mic/Instrument socket on the PreSonus & I think I may have misled you with my comments about the Control Panel, i assumed you meant the software set up?,so before I start making a lead up I thought i'd just post this.
    Just in case you meant the actual Front Panel controls,both inputs are marked Mic/Instrument) & both inputs have a Dual XLR/Jack,with a gain pot(& led level indicator)to adjust input sensitivity,i'm using the centre jack input.
    I'm just checking that the lead may be an issue,with this set up.:)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  15. Jason Fieldhouseespk

Well, I presume the circuitry will be as such that when you insert the jack it will be at instrument level, which as instruments are normally passive, requires some extra amplification internally to bring it up to the same level as the mic pre-amp requires. (I have a Focusrite Scarlett 18/20 that has a push button that switches this circuit in and out, it's kinda like having an internal DI box).
    However, when you actually use an external DI box(which is what's in the Origin) before that, it's amplifying an already amplified signal, and then clipping.

I have my guitar plugged straight into my Instrument input of my interface right now, but if I unplugged that and used a DI box before hand I wold use an XLR cable, which would bypass that extra amplification stage.

That's all I think it may be.... But, obviously if there is still no improvement we'd have to look further into it..... I'm not doing much else sat at home anyway, so, here to help if you need, :cheers:

16. Graham G

Graham G Active Member

I hadn't realised that the Emulated out acts as/like a box,so yes the EM out should plug to the Mic/Balanced XLR,i haven't been able to find if the EM out is TS or TSR,but I've metered it out & the ground & hot pins don't short(as they do with TS jack socket)so i'm taking it it's TRS,i'm about to make up a lead.:)

17. Graham G

Graham G Active Member

i've cobbled a lead together & yes that was the problem it now sounds like an Amplifier :),i'm still a bit surprised that the output from the DI(it doesn't say emulated I've realised)but in the Manual it calls it a DI with cabinet emulation,still has far more gain/overdrive than is evident when using a speaker cab?
    Anyway thank you VERY much for all your help & advice. :cheers:

18. Jason Fieldhouseespk

Brilliant, glad it's working now man.

Well, with regards how it sounds, you have to remember that emulation could very easily just be some EQ'ing to make it sound a bit more like a speaker cab, it's not at all like an Impulse Response, so, it could have EQ'd certain frequencies more than others, making it sound gainy'er, than usual.... Also, have you cranked the amp? I think they have a good amount of gain when you get it up there.

Another thing which has been discussed about these amps, is that when using the DI, the 'load' may just be another drop down of the voltage(the attenuator) to a level that's safe disconnecting the speaker, there for possibly making the amp easier to push into the overdrive ....

19. Graham G

Graham G Active Member

Well i'm old & probably a bit deaf,so when I've gigged with the ORI20 everythings on 10(or above):) & the 2 reasons I don't gig with it now,is lack of Gain & it's not quite loud enough,i also have a DSL20HR which is also not loud enough for gigging,hence I have another thread running about buying a DSL40CR(when i'm allowed out again)which hopefully will be the answer for gigging.
    Now to try a bit more recording tracks on to our rehearsal recording,:D
    Once again thanks a lot.