Opinions on the DSL 100H Heads

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by instinctfx, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Emtbreid

Emtbreid Well-Known Member

The dsl100h has chassis mounted power tubes don’t they? I understand the HR doesn’t but I seem to recall the H does.

2. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Active Member

Why not?

3. Sir Don

Sir Don Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with the HR, two master volumes and midi capabilities seal it for me.

4. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

Cheap looking design........doesn't match the original (nor my collection of UK models). Performs well, but doesn't really look like a Marshall. Hell, even the front logo on the HR is smaller than the logo on the original DSL. They are both considered full size heads but the HR is larger. WTF Marshall?
    :wallbash:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    instinctfx and Troy T. Blues like this.
  5. Troy T. Blues

I'll give you that and it doesn't seem to be real wood either.

I recently acquired a 1936V cab (real wood lol) with the Marshall V30's in it and it it has the same tolex. It matches well. I didn't notice the logo. Hmmm.... I should be getting mine in the next couple of days. For me, it's a winner. Love the tone of both channels/both modes, the added speaker inputs, two master volumes, reverb (has just enough at max), the fx loop sounds good, good price, and it's so easy to bias. Another plus is when the 6-button footswitch becomes available.

Lance Chambers likes this.
  6. Lance Chambers

It's not! It's made entirely of MDF. I think I read somewhere on the internet that the HR amp box comes from the same factory where Bugera amp boxes are made........but don't quote me on that. :facepalm:

My advice: don't over-tighten the rear panel screws. The MDF will crumble.
    :noway:

Troy T. Blues likes this.
  7. Troy T. Blues

Yup, I found out the hard way with my DSL40CR. I had an undefined screw, using a power driver, I got frustrated and eventually, the hole crumbled. I'm definitely aware. Now I use a stubby screwdriver to unscrew and tighten by hand to get it started before and after power. Sounds GREAT though.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

Tighter green channel sounds awesome. It's one of the things that annoy me about my JCM2K, it is modeled after the JCM 800 (I own an original unmodified 2203 from 1982) but it's spongy and flubby in the lows. The 2203 isn't the tightest but the lowend is still more compact and feels like a sledgehammer hitting you in the chest.

I seriously am considering the HR unit. Midi and Mastervolumes? Even the price is right. Found em used for as low as 400. The only contestant would be the Laney IRT 120H here.

instinctfx and Troy T. Blues like this.
  9. Troy T. Blues

Agreed and this is also a big plus. I had a JCM2K a while back and in my opinion, the HR just sounds so much better overall. Plus all of the great features. The only minuses to me are MIV and the MDF.

GuitarIV likes this.
  10. instinctfx

instinctfx Active Member

See I love the J2k green crunch channels spongyness.
    : I bought a second hand DLS100H head and have been putting through some tests. Here is a video demo of the amp I put together (basically to see how it would react with my normal pedal setup) as part of a pedal demo series ive started on (yet another pedal demo)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    GuitarIV likes this.
  11. Lance Chambers

One thing that I do like about the cosmetics of the HR is the newly designed handle with the embossed logo. I will update all of my amp heads when Marshall starts reselling the new design.
    :applause:

Troy T. Blues likes this.