Online Jam Sessions

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by pedecamp, Mar 28, 2020.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I was looking around for some software that would allow online jamming and collaboration since we are all locked in our homes. I found a product called jammr https://jammr.net/ and downloaded the app and setup an account, its free. So I got my buds to do the same then I setup a jam session and invited them in. Basically I had my amp mic'd and connected to my pc sound card and we had a virtual jam online, the concept is pretty cool there was some lag though I havent figured out how to work around that yet (maybe I need a better pc and sound card?). If I can get this lag worked out this might be a pretty good product, has anybody found any other products like this that work well?

2. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Pede, I guess you needed an interface, like a Scarlet or whatever to hook up with your PC ?
    BP

3. pedecamp

Wow this fukking thread died fast. Nobody ever thought about or even interested in online band practice in these times?? I mean now isnt the first time I thought about this, I wanted to jam with friends that lived far away in the past, just never figured it out and still havent for that matter...

4. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

The lag issues would make it difficult to do this satisfactorily. Maybe if you were all together on the same LAN, but connected via a random assortment of ISP all over the place, it'd be a tough proposition.

Lance Chambers likes this.
  5. gsgtrman

gsgtrman Member

I'm not sure if you're doing this over wifi or not, but you will get much less latency if you have a wired connection to your modem. I hope this is helpful.

6. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

How do you sync all the players together in real time?

A more practical approach is: record songs and allow the forum members to add their own tracks. Then allow the members to play the finished mix etc.

I don't know which software might allow this recording (probably is software somewhere) but it seems more do-able than syncing musicians in real time.

7. pedecamp

Audacity is good for doing tracks, I want to do real time jams and band practice.

8. pedecamp

Take a look at Jammr and tell me what you think. I did ask on their forum how to solve latency but I didnt understand their answer.

9. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

Following this thread. Would love to have a way to rehearse with the guys. We should have had a gig in a month... I miss rehearsals

Mitchell Pearrow and pedecamp like this.
  10. pedecamp

I cant find any products that are recent, every list or product online is old. It amazes me nothing more recent has been developed. Even this Jammr product is free cuz they probably never developed a version good enough to sell.

GuitarIV likes this.
  11. gsgtrman

gsgtrman Member

It looks like there are a number of settings that need to be either verified or changed in the audio menu. The other problem right now though is the steep increase in online activity, with everyone at home. I've noticed some glitches with Zoom in my lessons, which usually works very well.

12. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

jamming online is a dream real time for me, but the current restrictions on network technology makes it too hard.

13. pedecamp

Did you look at Jammr? Install it on your PC?

Maybe this isnt supposed to be realtime like they suggest in their website. Here's a response I got from their forum:

Hi pedecamp,
    jammr is live but not real-time. It is designed for improvising to a chord progression. You hear what others played last time around the chord progression, and they hear what you played last time.

This might sound strange but the “delay” is not perceptible when jammr is set to match your chord progression.

Here is a guide on how to jam successfully: https://forum.jammr.net/topic/1724/
    And here is a deeper explanation of the interval-based jamming system: https://forum.jammr.net/topic/1719/

14. gsgtrman

gsgtrman Member

I have not installed it. Based on their response to you it seems like it would be cool for something loose like a 12-bar blues or another simple, repetitive progression. It doesn't seem applicable to anything with more arrangement and structure.

pedecamp likes this.
  15. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

I've been wondering about this but have yet to look into it. If you figure it out please keep us posted...thanks!

16. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

it doesn't represent live playing. whoever is playing plays a repetitive piece. When you start, you have to tell the program, the tempo & how many beats in the bar, etc. Then you play a repetitive part. When the bar is finished, you keep playing & someone else is told to start, so they are always a bar behind. it says if you vary, it upsets the way it works, so you are pretty stuck into that pattern for the duration...

17. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

a buddy of mine wants to try this:

https://www.jamkazam.com/

supposedly it works in real time, if your gear/connection is up to snuff. I don't have a camera, so it's not letting me hook up as a player...

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  18. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Great idea , I will look in to it tomorrow. Got to get up early .

19. pedecamp

Ill check this one out.

20. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

Since I suck at playing guitar can I be the "Roadie for a Day"? :hbang: