Old fart, first Marshall

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by vtrain, May 22, 2020.

1. vtrain

vtrain Member

Hi there. I've been a mostly bedroom guitarist for almost 40 years. I picked up my first guitar in the third grad, a nun gave me my first lessons. I wasn't very good back then, and not much has changed. I go through periods when I play more, and periods when I play hardly at all, but I've always had a guitar nearby.

During the pandemic, I've been getting back into it. I just love to play, unless it frustrates the hell out of me. I suppose it's partly a stress reliever, taking my mind off all the negative stuff.

I've owned at least a dozen amps over the years, several Fenders, semi-custom and boutique-y Fender styles, Mesa Boogie, Yamaha, Hiwatt. Until recently I had a 1962 Princeton brownface with transitional blackface cosmetics. I sold it, and for a while my only amp was a Yamaha THR10C which has several low/medium gain models and a variety of effects. I've always been a tube amp guy, but this is an impressive little desktop amp. Tiny speakers though, and no easy way to plug in an external speaker. I also have a Vibrolux 5F11 kit sitting in the closet that I need to finish. It would be a good pandemic project, but my workspace is taken up by actual work. I stopped working on the kit when my son was born, almost four years ago.

I've never owned a Marshall, partly because I perceived them as too loud (for my needs), too gainy, and/or too expensive. After selling my Princeton recently, I started looking at low wattage tube heads I could use with the excellent pine cabinet I got for my 5F11 project and I stumbled upon the Origin series, and I was impressed. Long story short, I wound up with an extremely inexpensive Origin 5, which is not at all what I was looking for, but has turned out to be a cool little amp in its own right, after I broke in the speaker and swapped in some better (to my ears) tubes. I'm still on the hunt for a low wattage head, though.

I stumble my way through a few genres, but most can be loosely categorized as classic rock, from AC/DC to the Grateful Dead. The last song I was jamming to before I wrote this was Jumping Jack Flash, on my shell pink Tele partscaster and the Origin 5.

So that's me. Oh yeah, I work in computer technology, and live in Chicagoland. I have a son named after the stage name of a well-known rock artist who died in 2016, just a few months before my son was born.

2. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    Hey up! mate. Hope you are getting along well with your Origin 5c.
    Buy yourself (or build) a 1 x 12 cabinet with a 16 ohm Greenback in it to use with the Origin and you will hear the little amp at it's best.

DaDoc, tce63, vtrain and 1 other person like this.
  3. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member Premium Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    "too loud" - you can always turn a loud amp / guitar down, but the opposite does NOT apply...
    "too gainy"- you can always turn a gainy amp / guitar down, but the opposite does NOT apply...
    "too expensive" - quality costs - and older Marshalls have quality - or rather "a quality" which yah have to pay for.

Whatever makes YOU feel good, happy, play more etc is all that matters

:hippie::pirate::uk:

DaDoc, vtrain and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  4. vtrain

vtrain Member

Yeah, there's really a lot to unpack there. Suffice to say, if I had to do it over again, I'd have taken a much harder look at older Marshall amps when I was much younger. These days, I'm jamming in the basement at midnight with the wife and kid asleep upstairs, so the Origin 5 dimed, or close to it, is about perfect for my needs!

5. vtrain

vtrain Member

I know! The cabinet I have that was my original reason for looking at a Marshall head is a nice pine cabinet loaded with a Mojotone AV12C. Unfortunately, it's 8 ohms! I got the Origin 5 so cheap that it could be cost feasible to get a custom 18w type cabinet for it and load it up with a Greenback. But then I was also thinking to get a new transformer with 4-8-16 ohm taps. Part of me thinks if I get an 18w cabinet, I might as well just build an 18w clone. Anyway, the 8" speaker is actually pretty good when you get it up off the floor and pointed at your head.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum
    I happen to like the Origin series of amps . Congratulations on your score of the 5 watt amp.
    Cheers
    Mitch

vtrain likes this.
  7. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Greetings!

Mitchell Pearrow and vtrain like this.
  8. Trumpet Rider

Trumpet Rider Well-Known Member

Welcome, MF'r. So, a nun gave you your first lesson...

Mitchell Pearrow and vtrain like this.
  9. Georgiatec

I've been thinking about transplanting mine into an old '90's VS112 cab I have. Plenty of room inside for a back panel mounted fit, then just cut the Plexi letter box out at the top to access the controls. Plus a slot out of the back panel to access the rear of the amp.

:hmm:

vtrain likes this.
  10. vtrain

vtrain Member

I think a new cabinet, speaker, and maybe output transformer would really do this amp justice. I picked up a 4-8-16 switch for mine, but that may be wishful thinking at this point. Not sure I’d be comfortable doing the swap myself, even though I’ve kind of worked through it in my head. I might need to take another look inside the chassis before deciding.

11. Georgiatec

This is the cab I'm thinking of converting into a home for the Origin. I'm fine with just a 16ohm output. All the speakers I have that I would use in the cab are 16ohm.
    Pictured here with my JCM1h. It has a new logo since this photo.
    [​IMG]

vtrain likes this.
  12. David Shaw

David Shaw Member

Welcome!

I've just joined team Marshall too and the welcome was warm, so thought I would return it in kind.

The Origins are pretty little things, enjoy!

Dave

tce63, vtrain and Nik Henville like this.
  13. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Well-Known Member

:wave: vtrain and :welcome: to the MF and the Marshall amp club!

14. vtrain

vtrain Member

Yeah it sounds kinky when you put it like that! Actually I'm not 100% sure she was a nun, but she was definitely a woman and I was definitely in a Catholic school. I was 8 years old and that was like a thousand years ago.

Last edited: May 24, 2020 at 9:54 PM
    DaDoc and Trumpet Rider like this.
  15. Trumpet Rider

Trumpet Rider Well-Known Member

I was an 8 year old in Catholic school a 1000 years ago, too. Nuns were a lot of things, but sexy was not one of them.:agreed:

tce63 and vtrain like this.
  16. vtrain

vtrain Member

True that! I remember she was young, not sexy. And I know I recognized sexy by that age. I remember my first grade teacher gave me a ride in her Fiat Spyder. She definitely was sexy!

tce63 and Trumpet Rider like this.
  17. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! :D

tce63 and vtrain like this.
  18. nickfox

nickfox Well-Known Member

My first day of sixth grade was in a catholic school in monterey, california. It was run by nuns. I farted loudly. It still brings a smile to my face. :)

n

tce63, Nik Henville and vtrain like this.
  19. vtrain

vtrain Member

Does it have a closed back? How would you go about mounting the chassis?

I wouldn't be thinking about changing the output transformer if the Origin 5 had a larger speaker. I'm now thinking about building a 10" baffle for mine out of 3/8" (or maybe even thinner) birch with another 1/2" thickness around the edge on the back, to space it out slightly forward of where it is now.

I think that might give just enough clearance for a Jensen MOD 10-35, which is the shallowest 10" speaker in current production I've seen that's available in 16 ohms, at about 94.3mm deep. Or maybe once I do the math I might have room for a deeper speaker.

tce63 likes this.
  20. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

:welcome:to the forum...

:cheers:

vtrain likes this.