Ok i think this is a great idea and wonder if its already been done....

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Michael Inglis, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Michael Inglis

Michael Inglis Active Member

If you say its not a good idea your full of shit, its epic. So i always remove the gloss from the back of the neck on my guitars without satin necks. Its much "faster" and you could certainly buff it back to shine/gloss if you ever wanted to which i know from experience doing drop fills and having to buff the finish back afterwards. So heres the idea.....Leaving rectangles of gloss only behind the fret markers in the shape and size of the fret above it. My ltd doesn't have front facing fret makers and i like it that way. I rarely need them but if im doing a large jump and its a confusing part having side dots certainly helps even the more advanced players. 90% of the time they arent necessary unless your a beginner but imagine how easy it would be to traverse the neck if you could "feel" the fret markers in the form of gloss. The gloss is just sticky enough that you could slide over it if you want or allow your thumb to get "caught" on it if you want. Anyways, i think ill try it on one of my guitars. Id imagine that this has to have been done in some way before. I realize its not for everyone and at first it might feel weird but i think it wouldnt take long untill it was something that really improved consistency of large scale jumps up or down the fret board. Thats all, that one was free but the next one is gonna cost you lol.

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Interesting concept for a guitar with no fret markers or dots and you don't want to look.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Well-Known Member VIP Member

I think it would feel weird and be distracting. Some of the best advice I was ever given years ago when I first started playing was to start practicing in the dark. It will teach your hands where to go and you won't even have to think about it or look.

4. MickeyJ

MickeyJ Member

This is simply genius.
    You could have the ' Inglis squares ' 3/4" towards the neck tuners so it would all line up as the back of the thumb doesn't sit parallel with the first finger except spanish/flemanco players.

5. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

hum, so if we disagree we are full of shit huh. i'll take the opportunity to purge then.

i dont want bumps on my neck of any kind. would remind me of driving off the side of the highway where you get
    those patches of bumps that "wake you up".
    if you know your guitar then muscle memory should be enough to let you know where your at along with the occasional
    look down. nothing more is needed.

the fretboard is like a road map. i much rather see where im driving rather then have to feel my way down the road.
    the one gets me where im going as fast as i need to get there. the other causes a traffic jam.

6. KISS NATION

KISS NATION Active Member

This trick also works on girls too :naughty:

7. ricksdisconnected

eh, i kinda like to see what im working with actually.

8. KISS NATION

KISS NATION Active Member

Same here mate, but it can be fun in the dark also.
    Listen to piano in the dark by Brenda Russell. I think it's pretty clear what she is singing about.

jimmyjames and ricksdisconnected like this.
  9. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I'm full of shit!
    I don't know, sometimes my thumb is behind my index, sometimes in line with my index finger and sometimes it is over the top of the fret board.
    I think this may be good for those Duh-Gent guys who only use one finger to play and use a drop tuning.
    For me, I would say, No!
    It would probably work better too if it were lines across like a fret. I'm suspecting this would come on 7-8 string guitars that also have that felt dampening thingy on the strings near the nut.

10. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

I agree in some of the above in that you should look at the board for learning and placement. The goal is to play without looking or feeling markers. Back of neck markers would bother fluid movement with the thumb in my opinion.

11. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

You'd probably hate this too then lol

The idea is to reduce surface area and thereby reduce friction, thus creating a fast playing neck. Never played one myself. I don't think I'd care for it.

DSC_0106_dd972070-14f7-4aa7-958e-18e264e88558_2048x.jpg DUfHLnqW4AAXr4i.jpg

12. ricksdisconnected

ummmmmmmm NO.
    I see where they are going with the idea here but
    i wouldnt pay the extra for that.

El Gringo, mcblink and KISS NATION like this.
  13. MickeyJ

MickeyJ Member

i wonder if I could get that finish on my cock and whether it would ' help' ?

14. ricksdisconnected

put it in the wrong spot and with the wrong person and it will be close.

15. MickeyJ

MickeyJ Member

Now, if you had hairy palms for some unknown reason, that neck wouldn't be any quicker, if anything it would slow one down somewhat.

jimmyjames likes this.
  16. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

If a person is OCD and cannot touch lines he is in big trouble.

No, I am not OCD.

17. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

It is not a bad idea to have some markers on the neck for reference sake

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  18. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

The dick jokes are out, you've lost them Sir :p

MickeyJ likes this.
  19. MickeyJ

MickeyJ Member

This really is a fantastic idea, of course N/A to the ocd crowd. What you could do is use a raised shape, two small bumps whatever for the first marker, then use a depressed shape for the second, a raised one for the third etc. You'd never be lost on the neck. Again, you put the markers just ( 3/4, 1/2, 3/8 descending as the fret gaps decrease) before the actual fret so it all lines up.

20. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I build very fine guitars.
    I love full gloss necks and they never slow me down. (Not that I'm a fast player anyway....) It's a body chemistry thing. Some people sweat and the neck
    gets sticky. That doesn't happen to me.

I am thinking that you could learn to read (feel) Braille like the blind people do, and apply fret numbers in Braille on the back of the neck at suitable spots,
    and then as your hand runs across them you'll know exactly where your hand is.

I'm only half serious but I've seen crazier things done than that...like the neck pictured above.