Ok Brainiacs …… What Are You ………

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Jon C, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

using to do your video uploads ?
    iPhone then Direct to You Tube ?
    GoPro ?
    Onboard or Outbord Audio Capture ?
    Windows Movie Maker to edit / convert to MP4 ?
    How about the Super Cool split screen stuff @Derek S ??
    Audio only on Soundcloud / Zoom H4N ?

Dump the Fo Dudes !!!!
    Many Salutations in Advance !

BftGibson, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

I don't know but I'm curious.
    I was thinking of doing a video series on soldering and amp maintenance.
    But all I have is a Cannon Sure-Shot (point and shoot auto focus) which "does" record video.
    I need some certain extended Cannon memory card to record HQ video.

There are so many crappy videos on You Tube, that I need to make videos with better picture quality.
    (maybe I "should" get a go-pro...")

One of my favorite Go-Pro Videos of all time:

3. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

I've never been mistaken for a brainiac lol but I'll mention what I use newayz. I have a little Sony sport/action cam which is basically their take on the Go-Pro, it was around $200 and got nice reviews (bang for buck wise), especially on indoor useage tests. I use "Pinnacle" video software which is pretty powerful IMO and has a short learning curve but loads of nifty little features like the transitions, effects, split screen options, PIP stuff, etc.

I still think at the end of the day, LIGHTING is a huge factor!! Do some youtube searches and homework on how to set up your lighting for indoor videos and you'll be 3/4 of the way there! I went to Home Depot and bought a couple of those big yellow utility lights - which is like bringing the friggin' sun into your room haha! You point them away from you because the goal is to not see cast shadows on your subject, just even/clean light. After some practice my vids look pretty ok now I think, not bad for a hack anyway! It's all about being creative. Good luck!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

appreciate the advice dude.

Jon C and Derek S like this.
  5. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

That is the ticket !!! Thanks Derek … Are you a PC guy or Mac guy ? … About 20 years ago ( literally Windows98 ) I had a Pinnicle Capture card and Breakout Box that was amazing for doing editing of anything vid-clip you wanted to stick in there ……
    Can you elaborate on the version of Pinnicle and the Comp ?
    Are you using SMPTE to sync ?
    How long do you find it takes you to put together your average Finished Product now that you've got it fine tuned ?( capture , edit , finalize , convert , upload )
    Is your final format MP4 ?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  6. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member

Mitchell Pearrow and Jon C like this.
  7. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I am far from a brainiac, what Derek said about lighting is quite essential, all of mine are done with a iPhone, after actually viewing them , I now know what to be careful of for the next ones , not just spur of the moment, capture a riff before I forget it clips, :coffee:

Jon C likes this.
  8. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

I use my phone to you tube lately . I was usuing a Zoom cam,which I think they no longer make
    One of my nicknames is Garage Guerrilla..... so I feel like I have to stay somewhat true to the game n not make it too complicated .
    Now Im not sure though if it's my phone though ,that sometimes compresses the bottom end OR it's somethin that you tube does
    ??

The phone is easy though. I can make 1MIN vids that go right up on Instagram ....good for promoting my live performances

Mitchell Pearrow and Jon C like this.
  9. Derek S

Hmm, it's a lengthy process for me because I like to shoot from several different angels so that the end result is more interesting to the viewer. I think the Speed Racer vid I just posted took three weeks total, working on it in my spare time (hour or two here and there and maybe one long marathon on saturday). I'm a PC guy (I like building them). I think the vid software is "Pinnacle Studio 20" but any of their latest versions would work fine. Final file can be just about anything you want (AVI, MP1-4, etc), I always choose AVC H.264 (so mp4 lol @1080p). I love playing around with the video files once they're loaded up in Pinnalce to make it look stylized in some minor way (like de-saturating the color a touch, or making it look warmer/cooler, etc), fixing any blown out highlights or deepening the blacks, etc, stuff you can't do with a phone cam clip or no editing software, hell, it's basically another art form and can be a HUGE distraction from playing lol...I have days where I get frustrated with my playing so I'm like, fine then, I'll just work on the video today instead (and vise versa).

Mitchell Pearrow and ibmorjamn like this.
  10. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

Wow …… Thank you for sharing ……can I ask how you sync up ? Is it SMPTE or other ?

11. Derek S

No prob! The software is similar to recording music software - so there are several "tracks" sitting beside each other and they can be set to defeat either the video or the audio (or neither). I drop my audio track in first and start building it from there (moving/syncing the video).

I'll tell ya what, this evening I'll take a screen grab of the Speed Racer Vid and post it so you can actually see how it's laid out and reference it to the finished vid, might be helpful. :)

Jon C likes this.
  12. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

Very cool !!

13. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

i wish i had more time and knowledge on this,, would love to share my amp settings and dif guitars i use..i eat every video you guys post up..especially if i hear guitars strait into amps no processing..and full chords...single note lines and info i can learn from without it being an overproduced digital squash..i guess at 54 i am technologically an underachiever..lol..i will shut now and go play some guitar..and i tip my hat to my studio guy at his young age the way he captures my sound make it possible for me to be a player..cause i stink at recording and videos

14. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

You're not alone brother …… I'm on the last half of 57 now and I get it …… It's encouraging to hear your perspective on Straight In -vs- Stuff Added …… I mean , I have an iPhone and an iPad …… if I lean it up on something I suppose I could horrify you guys with some bedroom dribble ( Not THAT kind !! lol ) …… but I'm , quite frankly , thoroughly embarrased by the way I think the captures look and sound…… sure would love to lean more towards the Derek approach …… I can see posting NEVER if I do that as well

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and BftGibson like this.
  15. Derek S

Here's the shot of my Pinnacle screen from the latest project. You can see it's layed out like a movie timeline/storyboard...the audio mp3 track down on the very bottom and then three video only tracks above that: the main (full screen) clip is in the middle and then the little harmony parts and so on are above and below that (you can see they're windowed or split screened with little fade in/outs, etc). The clips are basically moved in a drag/drop method. The vertical lines/splits are either for different clips sitting beside each other, like when I change guitars for different parts of the tune, or for applying an effect to that portion, etc. A good place to get a feel for how it works is where you see the three clips stacked @ 00:20 in the timeline, the "main melody clip" and then the "left harm" and "right harm" above/below.

Anyway, hope that helps....it's pretty easy and fun as hell but also easy to get carried away with because there are literally hundreds of effects to play with. I like my vids to be simple and focused on the music itself so compared to some dudes I see on YT, heh, mine are probably pretty bland.

[​IMG]

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  16. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

Thank you so much brother …… super interested in this !!
    May be in my near future !!!

Mitchell Pearrow, Derek S and tce63 like this.
  17. AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing

AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing Active Member

Da Vinci Resolve Lite is free professional editing software for Mac or PC, has some limitations compared to the studio/full version (which is $300) but unless youre going nuts with your editing should do what anyone would need.

Lighting is important...too dark or too bright and it looks bad plus too dark is worse for compression algorithms...dark areas of the picture tend to block up when compressed compared to midtones and highlights. You want most things right in the middle. Cameras with manual features are better for this as you can set the exposure manually rather than fighting your lighting with auto balance settings.

You can google “best compression settings for youtube” etc., but without researching all that the way *I* would do it is export a high quality/high bitrate video from your editing software (10000 kbps/ 10 mbps h264, or even prores if on mac, whatever the equivalent is on windows) and upload that, this way youre giving the youtube compression a higher quality file to start with rather than giving it something already super compressed that youtube compression is going to degrade further.

18. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

I watched a portion of speed racer and it blew me away . I just would like know what your practice was like 10 years ago ?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow and Derek S like this.
  19. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

O jus I want to wear mini skirts. What thread is this?

Phone to youtube. Anything else is a waste of time.:D

cause I suck.

ibmorjamn and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  20. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Don’t be shy Jon , I have posted so many phone recodings it isn’t funny, but that is my only means of posting anything! Cheers Mitch