Offset Jtm45 Builder

Discussion in 'Building the Classics' started by fxavg, Apr 2, 2018.

1. fxavg

fxavg New Member

Hi All,

I've been recently getting more and more interested in an Offset spec (1962~65) JTM45, but it seems that not many builders offer such an amp. I would try to clone one myself, but I am not experienced with electronics and do not want to shock myself. I was wondering if there were any builders, on the forum or elsewhere, who would be able to help me with this tone chase.

Any help is much appreciated.

2. stickyfinger

stickyfinger Active Member

Hi there and welcome to the forum!

A few folks here could build you one. What are you looking for exactly? A JTM 45 that simply looks like a offset using the EC grill cloth like the Park Reissue uses and modern parts? Offset and NOS tone parts? A NOS parts build being authentic in everyway possible? Because parts, especially NOS will add up to close 1400- 1800USD depending on how authentic you go. Now throw in a original RS Deluxe output transformer. 700-1000$ alone..

I was getting ready for full NOS JTM 45 for my June vacation..

3. fxavg

fxavg New Member

The plan was to go NOS as far as budget would allow, which means probably will have to use some modern transformers, but other than that authentic in every way possible. I'm looking a super early spec JTM45, so I'm definately looking for the sound of the circuit rather than just the looks. I'm looking for this build to hopefully get going in the summer as well.

4. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I have built one.
    http://forum.metropoulos.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45280&p=458100&hilit=offset+neikeel#p458100
    I used NOS parts for certain bits but used a S Marshall chassis and front face, Marstran RS Deluxe OT and 20H choke with Majestic custom PT, new filter caps, pots, switches and jacks.
    If you look at the originals they use a 7-hole perf'd turret board with split turrets, unusually carbon comp resistors wrapped around the turrets with grey RS labelled coupling caps, wire is skinny with mainly white wire, raised heater wires with dedicated ground wire to the preamp sockets. I will post pics later in the week (mine are stuck in photo bucket).
    The offset head cab is more tricky than usual and I have not yet built it. Pleximaster gave me the dimensions of his (need to find those too!)

v846 and Guitar-Rocker like this.
  5. S.Marshall

S.Marshall New Member

I have a new batch of offset chassis coming and I'm cloning the RS tag board OT's using Marstran. Can't go wrong with Neil if looking for a builder. I'm happy to help as well.

coldengray likes this.
  6. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Sorry I cannot offer a build at the moment, could possibly sell this one fairly cheap (no head box!).
    I am sure coldengray or S.Marshall would help for a truly bespoke one.