... Of Which We Do Not Speak.

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by JBA, Mar 17, 2019 at 9:22 AM.

1. JBA

JBA Member

Celestion Century Vintage... It's a neo, everybody run and hide your amps lol!

Couldn't find much on it but needed something super light; it's stupid light. I was totally expecting a compromise naturally. I compared it to a vintage 30 and all three creambacks; And I actually like it better then all those. It's based off a Vintage 30 of which is great but can sometimes be a little too pronounced for some. This neo is a less extreme version of that and totally kicks butt. I can't believe these are barely spoken of. If you get a chance I highly recommend you try one.

Go ahead, Trust a nobody and your own ears; I dare you.:naughty:

Have you tried one? If so, let us know what you think.

Cheers!

GIBSON67 and stringtree like this.
  2. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

Glad it's working for you …… While the Neodymium magnets are light ( big pro ) …… There are situations that can make them a poor choice ( small con ) ……
    Efficiency under High Sound Pressure may not be your concern but the problem does exist

JBA and stringtree like this.
  3. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Everyone cling to your old draconian Alnico...

JBA likes this.
  4. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member Sponsor

I've had both the Century Neo and the Vintage version. I think I still have one in a combo buried here that I don't play. They just didn't sound right to me, something off with them, although I tried to like them.

JBA and stringtree like this.
  5. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

I would compare the Celestion G12 to a guitar that has flat wound strings on it. Its limited from going into the full sound range that one would expect. Like flat wound strings, I would think this speaker has it use, and depends what tonal sound one is after.

I hear its appeal. :dude: Might not be right for everyone though..

I found this clip, maybe not the best but it give one an idea..

6. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

I'd love to mess with some neos, but unless someone else is footing the bill, I'm gonna wait for em to hit the used market

stringtree likes this.
  7. JBA

JBA Member

Good feedback gents! I originally read the first "Century" version was a dog and there is a bunch out there on that. I had also found that the CV cone is said to be an England made vintage 30 cone and motor assembly so whether that is right or not I'd like to know cause that's why I flipped a coin on this light weight guy! I'll have to try and giv'er some volume once broken in to see how the compression compares to the Vintage 30; that's great feedback and I'd expect it to be somewhat more of an issue on the 40 than the 20. As far as sound goes, the on axis response is basically a Vintage 30 with a bit of extension where most presence knobs are Centered (however I only believe this without measuring if indeed it is the Vintage 30 cone and motor). The slight high frequency extension is very similar to two of the creamback models which seem to have a formidable following. I actually have all the equipment to measure this axial response data (compression too, its actually really easy to do but it just takes more beers). How to find the motivation to do it though...lol!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 3:13 PM
    stringtree likes this.
  8. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

While not a Technical Responce …… My experience with Neodymium Mag Speakers is related to High Sound Pressure over time …… My Avocation is Pro Sound Reinforcment …… 5 or 6 years ago I learned the hard way with some Neo 18" Subs …… I use outboard power amps and electronically roll off everything above 100Hz …… The Neo's would get Hot …… Then their efficiency would drop …… Compensated for that by pushing them a bit more …… Hotter=Quiter …More Watts=Louder … Louder = Hotter … repeat …… Vicious Cycle …… I can't say that this would hold true for consistent db with a guitar cab , but I suspect so if the circumstances were similar ……

stringtree and JBA like this.
  9. JBA

JBA Member

I know I try to avoid driving peaple nuts with the tech side of this as I used to build drivers, enclosure for pro audio, and also spent most my career in electronic design and prototyping.. And I digress lol!: The reduced surface area for cooling is somewhat of an issue for neo's at power considering one wants to maintain the same Re for the driver although there is much more to this included in the physical design parameters ;-) I suspect testing a fresh CV against a broken in Vintage 30 for most peaple would give the impression that there is a difference in "Pe" compression, although the compliance and resonant frequency would not have reached their designed parameters yet. Xmax has basically three factors: physical, mechanical, and field (magnetic that is). Break in of the suspension and spider change one major parameter affecting overall Pe compression. The feedback you give me tells me there likely is an issue here (if yours was broken in). I can measure and look at data all day but with guitar speakers there is noting better than direct experience. I did beat on my CV tonight to the point of your typical break in flub.. It was loud as hell..what? haha! Full disclosure.. I did smell me some voice coil. I'll try to report back once this puppy has some hours on it and I swap back in the Vintage 30. So far the upper spectrum is pushed up ever so slightly than the 30; A pattern I've notice with the Celestion neo's. Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 9:56 PM
    stringtree likes this.
  10. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

That was a great read !!
    It's a bit hard to imagine the exact same experience that I had with 100db + Live Subs being an issue with 12" Guitar Speakers ..
    I'm certainly interested in your findings ..
    The Flub thing made me think of @Scumback Speakers comment about Flat Wounds !!

stringtree likes this.
  11. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

I had a VOX Neo for a while in a 4210 combo, I really liked it! It had the 444 cone.