NPD! Friedman Golden Pearl

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Ian Alderman, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Ian Alderman

Ian Alderman Well-Known Member

Delayed by a couple days of seemingly endless jamming, the Golden Pearl is the perfect compliment to the Marshall Studio Classic. I love how it doesn't chop off the bass or boost the mids but adds some nice saturation to the tone, without any harshness involved. For awhile I'd really like an overdrive pedal and then there would always be something. Not enough low end, too much fizzy sizzle up top... Always something that felt off about whatever it was that I was using. In the 20w mode, and cranking up the volume the sound and feel of Tool's Undertow record was there. It sounds and feels somewhere between Adam Jones and Jerry Cantrell. In 5w mode, there seems to be an aggression that I really like. Can't put my finger on it, but it's there. Overall, I have a feeling that I might possibly be done. For me, I've found the perfect compliment for my JCM800 jr combo.

Attached Files:

2. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

Congrats on your NPD!! :dude:

3. Marshall4Metal

Marshall4Metal Well-Known Member

Those Friedman pedals are well made quality components and great tone. I have the BE-OD it hasn't left my chain since I got it about I guess 2 years ago now. It's my go to overdrive for all my amps. I have no doubt that Golden Pearl sounds great.

4. Nitrobattery

Nitrobattery Well-Known Member

Congrats! It's such a great pedal. I used to do product videos for a retailer, and one of the videos I did was on the Golden Pearl. Totally fell in love with it. I loved it into a dirty amp, and if you crank the snot out of the pedal, it'll turn a clean amp into a really musical gain machine. Enjoy it!

5. Ian Alderman

I agree that it's a well made pedal for sure! Usually by now I'm posting quick clips and pics on Instagram, but I've been enjoying the pedal way too much which is a good sign. I feel like it's going to be a big part of my tone for a VERY long time. And it absolutely LOVES the Marshall Studio Classic!

Mitchell Pearrow and stringtree like this.
  6. Ian Alderman

I don't have a super clean amp to test the Golden Pearl that way, but through the Marshall Studio Classic it rules. I'm surprised that there aren't more videos demoing it. I might have to change that. I saw the Pete Thorn video and Boynton Pro Audio demo, and I haven't got around to it but Henning Pauly did a super long video of it going into different amps. I'm definitely enjoying it and I've got a feeling that I'll be enjoying it for a very long time to come! Cheers!

7. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

friedman makes killer dirt pedals. enjoy

8. Nitrobattery

Nitrobattery Well-Known Member

I shot that video for Boynton :)

Definitely post a video if you do one! It's a cool pedal that seems like it snuck in under the radar.

9. Ian Alderman

That's pretty cool! I definitely watched that video several times before pulling the trigger.

I said in the Studio Classic thread that I feel like I have as close as possible to having a Friedman modified Marshall without having to send the amp in to Dave. Being both a Cantrell and Adam Jones fan, this is something I really appreciate. Especially knowing that the Superbass amps Adam uses were in fact modified by Dave Friedman to Superlead spec.

I like being able to juice the Marshall Studio Classic with the Golden Pearl, and then being able to go back to stock tones, whether rolling back the volume on my guitar for cleans or leaving the volume knobs up for that JCM crunch. Altogether it makes for a very flexible rig.

When I post clips, I'll likely put them up over on the growing Studio Classic thread, so come on over and check it out when you get the chance!

Nitrobattery and stringtree like this.
  10. Ian Alderman

Thanks man! I agree with everything Pete says in this video. I actually own the Naked Overdrive as well and while I like it, there's something about the Golden Pearl that I love. It's probably the Hi-cut switch that allows a little more control over the top, that the Naked does not have.

stringtree likes this.
  11. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your new pedal
    Ian ,, clips when you get the chance brother.
    Mitch

Ian Alderman and stringtree like this.