NPD: BOSS OD-20

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by SkyMonkey, Dec 13, 2019.

1. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Well here we go again.
    Went and got a mint OD-20 off Reverb. Trying this in attempt to simplify the setup I am trying to achieve with my VS65R.
    4caed2b7db6df6d6d3049ef0f2d9f99d[1].jpg
    Recap: I was trying to use a Blues Driver in the front of the amp and a Metal Zone only into the FX return (sounds better!).
    To do this I was trying to use an LS-2 line selector to switch between the BD-2+VS65R clean preamp, and the MT-2 into FX return.
    The unaffected VS65R OD channel set for AC/DC tones, Clean channel.... well clean!
    This would make the VS65R comparable to the 4 DSL40 channels.
    But. It all got way to complicated and is a mess of cables.

So I'm auditioning the OD-20 against the BD-2 and MT-2 for an all-in-the-front signal chain.
    So far so good.
    The BD-2 emulation is indistinguishable from the real BD-2.
    The MT-2 emulation is a slightly different monster to the real MT-2, but not in a bad way.
    The OD-20 MT-2 has actually got more gain on tap, and the tone controls are far easier to dial in.
    It is a work in progress. Only had an hour at it so far.

If the OD-20 works out I'll sell the MT-2, BD-2, and LS-2.
    If not then I'm selling the lot and getting a GT-8!

stringtree and Sustainium like this.
  2. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

Congrats on your New Pedal Day! :dude:

(net video) I think it crunchs nicely!

Sustainium and SkyMonkey like this.
  3. SkyMonkey

I watched loads of demos when deciding on getting the OD-20.
    This one is fairly good. One of a series of comparisons.

stringtree and Sustainium like this.
  4. Gutch220

Gutch220 Well-Known Member

Those twin boss pedals are very cool. I have the DD-20, and love it. You should check out the SL-20 Slicer.

That overdrive pedal seems to have every version of a OD/Dist pedal ever. I'm guessing the BD-2 setting has the same play-response as the regular BD-2?

SkyMonkey and stringtree like this.
  5. SkyMonkey

I am not a vastly experienced player or pedal user, but if dialled in correctly I cannot tell them apart.
    The differences come from the range of tonal adjustments, i.e. Bottom & Tone, which are sort of bass and treble.
    Not really got to grips with Attack Shape yet, but it seems to add a delay to the gain rise when fully turned to smooth.
    I thought something was wrong with the pedal until I noticed where the knob was set. 12 O'clock is no effect.
    Heavy Octave supposedly adds a lower octave to notes played below D (i.e. open 4th string), but I can hear the effect all the way up to open G.
    This doesn't work too well with high gain, it just farts out if set too high.
    Could work at low gain with a small amount of effect dialled in.
    But again, this is early days.
    Puts a smile on my face though. :)

Not sure a slicer is for me. I've had slicer effects available on the GT-8/10/100 multi effects I've had over the years.
    The CE-20 and DD-20 are more interesting options. Just having the 4 memory slots + 1 manual setting are a massive plus for just two pedal slots they take up on a pedalboard.
    I have an NS-2 to use with the OD-20, but I think it will struggle to cope with the range of gain I will use it for.
    Thinking a TC Electronic Sentry will work better, with 3 switchable settings available.
    So I think the NS-2, MT-2, BD-2 & LS-2 are going up for sale. Good job I got them all 2nd hand.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Sustainium likes this.