NPD: BOSS NS-2 (FAIL?)

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by SkyMonkey, Dec 1, 2019.

1. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Just got a crazy bargain on a near mint condition NS-2 noise suppressor off Gumtree.
    Nearing completion of my first modest sized pedalboard set.
    Now looking for a 2nd hand LS-2 and RV-6 before committing to a RockBoard of some sort.

Any thoughts on the possibility of having too many BOSS pedals in one board (e.g. 5 or 6)?
    I think all BOSS pedals are buffered bypass.

Mitchell Pearrow and GuitarIV like this.
  2. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as too many Boss pedals. They are reliable, affordable and most times they sound great (there are a few exceptions). I personally use a NS-2, TU-3, SD-1, RV-5, CH-1 and also have an RC-3. All of them are great.

Anything else might sound a wee bit better but is usually also a lot more expensive.

Post some pics when you're done with the build :)

3. SkyMonkey

Will do.
    The core build I am going for is NS-2, LS-2, BD-2 (front: loop A), MT-2 (return only: loop B), RV-6.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

I’ve got a bunch of Boss pedals, they work well with each other.
    I even dig the infamous MT-2W through Marshall gear. 5C3112A7-329C-48E7-92E8-ABFD8CBD7B4A.jpeg

5. SkyMonkey

Nice board @Sustainium. Revv G3! I wish I could afford one of those. Killer gain.
    I am trying to do this on a shoestring though, getting all the pedals 2nd hand in the best condition I can.
    The MT-2 does get me where I want to be gain-wise. Boosting it with the BD-2 is something I have played with too!
    Additions later on, after I get the core 5 Boss pedals, are the CE-5 and GE-7 (I see you have both).
    8 Boss's would be the limit on the RockBoard Tres 3.1 I am thinking of getting.

Sustainium likes this.
  6. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

I love the NS-2 Sky !!
    Sidechain Triggered Golden Silence !!

7. Marshall4Metal

Marshall4Metal Well-Known Member

Glad the NS-2 is working for you I didn't like it I could always here the gate open and close and it did change my tone a tad . It gets the job done yes but the Rocktron Silencer does everything the NS-2 does much better.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  8. SkyMonkey

Now I have got the NS-2 set up and working with a BD-2 and an MT-2 I am noticing that the volume of the signal is lower with the NS-2 engaged.
    It is set up as in the diagram below, but without the RV-6 (I haven't got one yet).
    Final signal (green arrow) goes straight from the NS-2 Output to the amp FX return.
    Capture3.PNG
    When I strike a chord the volume of the signal through the MT-2 rises slightly as the chord is sustained.
    Like an initial volume dip for about a second or two, almost like a badly set up compressor.
    It seems to swell and fall slightly too as the chord is held.
    This can't be normal.
    Any suggestions?

9. SkyMonkey

Ok. It does the same if just the MT-2 is connected into the loop of the NS-2. Guitar into NS-2 input, output to the amp FX return.
    Sounds normal if the NS-2 is before the MT-2 or after it, without the NS-2 send/return loop.

I don't think I am going to get on with this pedal.

Definitely a drop in volume when noise reduction is switched on.
    Won't work properly with its own internal loop.
    And slow to cut off when the strings are muted.

Any suggestions for a different noise suppressor? (the Rocktron Guitar Silencer is not available in the UK)

10. SkyMonkey

Erring toward the TC Electronic Sentry.
    Anyone use this?

11. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

Tone boost in the front; tone bending in the back.

:cheers:

SkyMonkey likes this.
  12. SkyMonkey

Tone is not the problem.
    Volume drop/inconsistency and gate speed is.

13. harleytech

harleytech Well-Known Member

I have an MT-2W also... I really like it !

SkyMonkey and Sustainium like this.
  14. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Questions: how much experience do you have using noise gates?
    Have you used other brands?
    Who recommended the routing scheme you're using? (perhaps that person is better suited to help you)
    why are you using that particular routing (what do you plan to achieve?

Since volume drop is the main source of your frustration, I'd say you may need to adjust your levels somewhere.

It's hard to say exactly because you routing a bunch of stuff all over the place. I've owned the NS-2 for several years now, and I have better experiences with it than what you're describing. I don't run a bunch of pedals using different routing as you do, but if your NS2 is in good working order, it should be fine.

On NS2, the "threshold" and "decay" need to be adjusted independently, which take some back and forth. First, the threshold has to be adjusted with several details in mind: the amp's channel volume (if applicable), the amp's master volume (if applicable), amp's gain control (if applicable), the MT2 level control and gain control, and the BD2 level control and gain control. If I read your routing scheme correctly, you are using the NS2 via the LS2 to noise gate the MT2 and BD2 (correct me if I'm reading your routing incorrectly). All those different level settings, gain settings, and volume settings are probably incorrectly set relative to the NS2 threshold and decay settings.

Additionally, you're trying to run the MT2 out and into the amp's effects loop, but the BD2 is being run into the amp's front end-the big questions I'm asking myself is why are you running two overdrive pedals into two different amp inputs. That might throw your levels out of wack and be harder to control (additionally, distortion pedals have a different sound when place in the amp's effects loop than when placed before the amp's front end).

If it were me, I'd junk that routing scheme (and the LS2), put the MT2 and BD2 in the NS2 send/return loop, then run the NS2 output straight into the amp's front end. But since I really don't understand what you're trying to do with the LS2 and routing scheme you're using, I can't say for sure if that's the best thing for you.

But the bottom line is that I think you need to spend some time working with your pedals and amp settings to find what works. It's not gonna be easy because you're using the LS2 to switch in and/or blend pedals in addition to configuring the amp settings. Even if you buy another noise gate/noise suppressor, you might have the same issue because the level, gain, and volume settings will be need to be set relative to the controls of whatever noise gate/noise suppressor you get next.

WellBurnTheSky, SkyMonkey and Jon C like this.
  15. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

If the amp has an FX loop that is where you place the loop part of the NS2. I tried something like your pic when i first got the NS2 and it was Effed up.

scott-colorado2016 and SkyMonkey like this.
  16. LCW

LCW Well-Known Member

Get a Fortin ZUUL and thank me later.

houseofrock likes this.
  17. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

I tried all my pedals one at a time in the loop and in the front of my SC20 to find out which place sounded better to me. MT-2w sounded better in the front input of the amp.

18. mtm105

mtm105 Well-Known Member

I thought highly of BOSS, until several used pedals where schmucks would unload because there is a crappy jack.

Crappy jacks. Crappy jacks. Crappy jacks.

I could never get a good sound out of Graphic EQ 7. Parametric EQ however I do sorely miss...

19. SkyMonkey

Thanks for the extensive reply @MonstersOfTheMidway. I will reply in the other (newer) thread I started. OK.

20. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

link

SkyMonkey likes this.