Nothing to do with amps etc but i need to vent.....

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Michael Inglis, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Michael Inglis

Michael Inglis Active Member

So i change my girls oil, ive been doing it every 3 months since weve been together for the past five years without incident. Two days ago my girl asked me at 5pm if we could do her nieces oil (Chevy Cruze). I had been offering for awhile but she asked me late at night before id ever even looked under the hood. I used to work at a Chevy, Buick an GMC dealership but i worked on the Buick an Gmc side. Anyways i said yes and she drove her sisters car from euless tx to fort worth tx to our house. Thats when she tells me that her neice is going to drive the car to Austin Tx the next day or the day after. That makes me uneasy since ive never worked on this car. Oil changes are as easy a thing as can be but different cars require different parts like the Oil Filter Cap socket size for example (which was a different size then my truck or my girls car) so we got the part and proceeded to do the oil change. First thing i notice is theres oil all over the top of the engine but it looks dry and ive never seen the car and my girl acts as if its normal so i make a note to make sure the oil cap goes back on well.

So next thing, the drain plug isnt stock and the gasket under it is chewed up and shredded to hell and i send a picture to her niece to make sure she knows we need to get a new one ASAP. So i finish draining the oil then put the new filter in the filter cap and screw it back in nice and snug but not as tight as it was before i took it off cause the mechanic probably used way too much torque. But it know it was sealed well. The drain plug was put back on but this time tighter cause it was literally so loose i could turn it with my hand when i was taking it off the first time. It doesnt need to be super tight but certainly tighter than it was.

We refill the oil, i pour in the exact 4.0 liters (4.25 quarts) the manual specifies. The job is done so i replace the oil cap and double checked it was on correctly. After which my girl asks me if i remembered to which i tell her yes but just for peace of mind i do it again in front of her. Then i close the hood and gently drive the car off of the ramps i had it on(the cars front is so low that i didnt want the shocks to load from the force and lower the front into the ramps damaging the car) so going slowly was the correct course of action. Next we drive the car to my dogs vet to pick up a prescription and then continue on to Euless to drop off the car and get my girls car.

Her nieces car needed more anti freeze but the car was too hot to change it and we had to go so i had the idea to make a video for her niece and her boyfriend showing them how to change it. It turned out good actually, maybe even youtube worthy lol. Anyways so that was it. Job well done i thought.

Today i get a message that her nieces check engine light had turned on. So i ask her neice to call asap. Then i walk her through sending me pics of the car, dipstick level etc. THERES NO OIL IN THE CAR and oil is all over the top of the engine. I look it up and it turns out theres a bulletin for Chevy Cruzes about the oil cap being easy to misalign. I told her that she would have to put in more oil and that it would be smart to put some Vaseline around the cap after just in case its still trying to leak. She was only able to put in 2 quarts but thats better then zero i just told her to pull over the second she notices any trouble.

Im posting this cause i take things like this very hard. Should i have noticed the cap rather then assuming that since there hadn't been an incident that the cap must be fine(i mean the oil wasn't wet that was on the top of the engine so i thought it couldn't be new). Anyways im not really questioning the job i did. Im just questioning why the fuck the universe couldn't let me have just this one little win. It feels great to help people out, but it feels terrible when an attempt at a kind gesture turns into an enormous inconvenience for the person receiving the gesture. Her nice is really sweet and said things like its ok "no worries' and even my girlfriend who doesn't always have my back is telling me its ok not to worry about it.

I just hate knowing they possibly don't know enough about the situation or cars to know if what i did had anything to do with this or not. I know that in all likelihood the cars oil cap was already bad and taking it on and off a few times is what made it worse. And because i know that they dont understand it likely wasn't my fault i feel the same as i would if this were actually 100% my fault. Anyways, i realize this is a stupid place to post this but i needed to vent. This is long enough i doubt anyone will read it but again, just wanted to vent a little.

MarshallDog and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  2. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

been here many of times. shrug it off and keep it moving.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. ricksdisconnected

or the one giving the gesture (which is usually my case but i still do it)
    then i get that one that goes smooth as silk and its worth all the other
    BS ones that went south.

4. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

It seems that the engine leaked prior...in the same way.
    Perhaps you should buy a new oil cap and replace the gaskets.

5. ricksdisconnected

what the mad man said.
    just make sure to go OEM. after market oil and gas caps especially are known to leak.

6. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Yes buy factory original parts good advice.

7. ricksdisconnected

ive had many of customers bring their own walmart and pep boys stuff in and demand i used it even after i
    gave my very educated opinions. then when shit went south as i told them it would it suddenly became my fault
    and 'i probably broke the part myself so my company could make the money off the OEM part sells".
    its so damn hard to give a shit sometimes ampmad.

8. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

If its blowing oil out the filler cap & loosing coolant sounds like its a cracked head or the head gaskets shot. Has she overheated the engine at anystage?
    Sounds like a major issue with the car not you from what I've read here.

MickeyJ likes this.
  9. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

I had a Dodge Durango that gave constantly gave me a fit oil-wise..The darn thing tended to run hot, and would apparently heat the oil to the point to where it begin to harden, the oil would turn into something that resembled little plastic beads..Then it couldn't flow through the engine properly, would clog up in the lines, and my oil pressure would drop to nothing.

I had to have the pan pulled and cleaned out three times, but it continued to get worse until I had to park it..Too bad, it was otherwise a nice SUV. My mechanic told me that particular (318ci) engine from that time period had a defect in which one of the openings the oil flowed through had been made too small, and hindered proper oil flow.

I also suspect the thing may have been wrecked at one time and had a damaged radiator, which made the engine run constantly hot and would basically cook the oil into the crud I described. I had bought the thing just before the car fax reports became a thing, now I wouldn't even consider buying a vehicle without one.

My point is, maybe the car in question has some similar hidden defect that's causing the problems? Just sayin'.

10. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

This thread reminds me of why I don't touch anyone's vehicles. No matter how hard you explain to them their junk is phukked up they will blame you when it fails.

I wrench all my own junk also. I've seen the so-called reputable shops screw up just as the dements do.

BTW! The Chevy Cruze is a GM disaster from the drawing board.

:facepalm:

11. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

So she didnt run it with no oil so there wont have been any damage.

Sounds like either the filler cap is shot, or maybe you cross threaded it by mistake.

Either way don't worry about it. You intentions were good and the old oil marks suggest this has happened before.

12. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Did she go to the auto parts store and get a new oil cap? Did she get the oil cleaned off the engine to avoid starting a fire? I know I'm not telling you anything you dont already know...

I know you were doing a good deed, but it would be quicker and easier if she went to one of those 10 minute oil change places for $40 and had this service done.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  13. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

This is what I was thinking too, gaskets, etc.

14. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

no good deed goes unpunished...

15. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

Yeh it needs to be pressure tested. Could be simple as a blocked breather hose or pcv building preasure & venting out the filler. Or the engines fucked. Bad design & a owner with absolutely no mechanical knowledge is never going to end well.

Mitchell Pearrow and pedecamp like this.
  16. CoyotesGator

CoyotesGator Well-Known Member

The Institute for the Very, Very, Very Nervous
    My neighbors Chevy Cruze did the same thing.

He is a nice guy but not mechanically inclined.

He kept Cruzin down the road until it let all of its magic smoke out.

Poor guy didn’t really have the money to rebuild the motor but didn’t have much choice.

Be glad she stopped and put some oil in it. Her vehicle needs a thorough going through.

17. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

Been a tech for 22 years. This is exactly why I don’t work on friends or families cars that aren’t my wife or kids.

Also hey from a fellow Ft Worth MF’er!

18. ricksdisconnected

i good rule of thumb for sure.

Lance Chambers likes this.
  19. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

jap built Toyota’s for me

20. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

It's ok; we understand! :agreed: