Noise Gate Incoming

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Marshall4Metal, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Marshall4Metal

Marshall4Metal Active Member

I went with the Rocktron Silencer I've read nothing but good things about it and seen all the demo's. I'll let you know what I think when it gets here next week. It's a bit pricey at 129 but they have been in the noise reduction business for a long time now and know what there doing .

2. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Congratulations. Rocktron does make pretty good equipment. I hope the new noise gate does exactly what you need it to do.

Question: are you going to use it in your JCM900 #4100 reissue, or in the Orange CR120H, or both?

Good luck with the new gear. Let us know how things work out.

3. Marshall4Metal

I'm using the Orange for practice and the 900 for gigs and home use. Currently i'm using a Zoom G5 for effects and a gate, out front of the 900 and the CR. I'm slowing filling out a pedal board and will be dropping the G5 for gigging permanently. I have an SD-1 for overdrive and the Silencer for a gate i'll be getting a delay, wah/volboost and Tuner to round out my board and i'll be done.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  4. MonstersOfTheMidway

I, too, have the Boss SD-1 pedal; it's an older model but it's great pedal that I'll never sell. I was interested in the Boss/Waza SD-1, but never got around to trying them.

Noise gates are cool. There are so many different brands and designs out there that you can get one that fits your exact needs.

Questions:
    A) what is the source of the noise? Is it from the SD-1? Is it from other pedals? Is it from the amp(s)?

B) how do you plan to use the noise gate?

The reason is because I, too, use a noise gate-well, actually I use two- in my rig. For me, I have two sources of noise: 1) the signal between guitar and amplifier input, and 2) in the preamp.

In regards to #1, I usually run just the guitar straight to the amplifier input. While is my guitar pretty quiet, but with a little overdrive/distortion I get noise that bothers me a little. Because I'm running nothing else between the guitar and amplifier input, I can keep noise gate settings really low and it's never on all the time-only for those channel/modes where I know I'm gonna get some noise.

In regards to #2, I run either a multi-effects system or a rack effects system in the effects loop. Both systems have a built-in noise gate, which is pretty good. While both effects systems are quiet, I found that the amplifier's preamp is a source of noise, so what I do is turn on the noise gate to quiet any noise coming out of the amplifier's effects loop "send" output. An effects loop "send" output usually includes the preamp signal, so that's why I noise gate in the effects loop. Again, the noise gate in the effects loop is not on all the time, but only for those channels/modes where I know I'll get noise.

One advantage of having a noise gate as part of multi-effects system or rack effects system is that you can program the noise gate to have different settings, which can be useful if you have an amplifier that has multiple channels and/or modes. Because my amplifier has multiple channels, I have different settings for each channel, which presents a problem if I'm running only one noise gate. But because I can program, save, and recall different settings (e.g. threshold and decay) for the noise gate, I can customize the noise gate for each channel I use without having to go back and change the settings on the noise gate.

So you can see why I asked about the source of the noise and how you plan to use your noise gate. If the source of you noise is only one pedal or maybe just one channel of the amp, then clamping down on that noise will be easy and the connections will be simple. If you have several sources of noise, then it you may need two noise gate, such as the G5 in the effects loop, and the Rocktron between the guitar and amplifier input, perhaps.

You know your rig better than me, so I wish you the best of luck with your new pedal. Let us know how things progress.

5. Marshall4Metal

The 900 reissue's are quiet amps. The hiss comes from the SD-1 at higher volumes as far as how I will run the silencer in the loop or out front is to be determined. I can't really open up the amp much past 3 mic'ed anyway in most of our gigs . I 900 on 3 is fairly loud then add in the PA that has a 1500 watt Mackie power amp going into it and you can get REALLY LOUD . So I guess in short my noise issue is mild and very controllable but I will be running a delay and a boost plus the sd-1 so i'm going need a gate.. The 900 sd-1 tone is so good it's worth giving up the simplicity of the g5 for effects and the ZNR. I guess I could run the sd-1 outfront and the g5 in the loop but I just know i'm not going to like the results to wet a signal and effects in the loop tend to take over to much of my sound. I prefer them out front. I can't run the g5 and the sd-1 out front at the same time unfortunately.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  6. Marshall4Metal

Here's an example of to wet a signal with to much presence vs a properly set up smooth dry tone.

7. MonstersOfTheMidway

Not sure what the video you posted has to do with noise gates and/or how they can be used, but I think you also posted the same video in another thread, so not sure if it was a mistake.

Again, identifying the source(s) of noise in the signal path as well as knowing how you'll use a noise gate is just as important as settings and hook up methods in order to get the best tone for whatever you're doing. Only after a you've made your absolute best effort to get your rig to it's absolute most quietest (e.g. eliminate ground loops, shielded pickups, buy quality leads, etc.) should you bring in a noise gate.

I've seen good videos that talk about eliminating noise as well as setting and hooking up noise gates, but the video really doesn't talk about it. Maybe search out some cool videos that show the various ways a noise gate can be used. For example, I have one of my noise gates setup to do volume swells that sound very cool with a delay. I also use different threshold and decay settings because I sometimes play stop/start riffs that require a quick noise gate, while other times I use a slower decay setting to promote sustain of chords and single note lines.

Good luck with your rig. Let us know how you like the noise gate once you get it.

8. Marshall4Metal

We'll see I haven't found a gate in pedal form I really like . I may have to buy a rack unit if the Silencer fucks my tone.. ISP G-string is a no go if I spend that kind of money i'll get a rack unit there basically the same money.

9. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

Returned two brand new G-Strings, but really like the Decimator II.
    I also have a Donner noise gate, cheap, cheap.. works fine and compares to the ISP.

10. Marshall4Metal

I've had the silencer for a few days now it's a great noise gate. It makes me want to spend the money for a Rocktron rack unit and have one in the loop and one out front if needed or for practice at home.

Trelwheen likes this.